Maintenance FMEA's - Aging Plant Equipment

B

Big-3-Hand-Puppet

Looking for input on constructing/developing a Maintenance FMEA. We're looking to advance our analysis on required maintenance of aging plant equipment...

Has anyone got a structure that's worked for them?

Big-3-Hand-Puppet:bonk:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
We did them at Motorola. We just went through the process like any other FMEA. I don't think I have any copies any more - that was several years ago. Are you looking for a format or contents?

A

Al Dyer

One idea might be to have a FMEA for each machine, or type of machine. From there you could use the FMEA as a continuous improvement tool and objective evidence of predictive maintenance. It would probably help to include Mean Time Between Failure Measurements under your recommended actions.

I'm sorry, I don't have any examples, but if you start one I can assist through e-mail. Sounds exiting to take that next step in using FMEA's for maintenance activities.

I think the tough part will be ensuring there is enough hours in the day to keep up the FMEA's as living documents and actually have improvement projects as the outcome. Not singling you or your company out, but maintenance personnel are usually fighting fires and don't have the time nor the inclination to do paperwork.

Too many times there are instances where the only recognition maintenance receives is when production blames them for downtime while not giving ip the time for maintenance to perform their duties.

Good luck and feel free to keep in touch.

R

Randy Stewart

B3-HP,
Have you done any work on the Mean Time To Repair (MTTR) or Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF)? If so you basically have your FMEAs complete. All there is to add is the format and rankings. If not, then IMHO, this is where I suggest you start.

B

Big-3-Hand-Puppet

Maitenance FMEA on aging equipment

Randy,

Haven't done much on the Mean Time To Repair or Mean Time Between Failures data. I can see that this is important and needs to be factored into the analysis. Where we fall short, is how should it be incorporated, and how far back should we go (historically) on each machine?

As Marc has suggested, if anyone is willing to part with an existing Maintenance FMEA, I am sure therer are lots of us who could really benefit. I am seeking advice on a format for documenting, however any generic content would also be appreciated.

Should we factor in the amortized time/cost savings of equipment replacement, for newer, more accurate technology?

Big-3-Hand-Puppet:bonk:

R

Randy Stewart

I don't have a computer version of the MFMEAs yet, still waiting for maintenance to forward one. Here's a basic rundown for Life Cycle Cost ananysis.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Maintenance FMEA to address machine failure modes FMEA and Control Plans 2
B Machine failure defects due to no/poor maintenance for FMEA - Looking for examples FMEA and Control Plans 6
B FMEA - Reduced Detection Ranking by Use of Preventative Maintenance FMEA and Control Plans 6
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
T ISO 17025:2017 requirement 5.7.b. about maintenance the integrity of the management system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Feedback of typical maintenance problems with LMI digital probes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S Are there ISO9001:2015 Requirements for Preventive Maintenance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
Q Software SOP - Use and maintenance of an ERP system Software Quality Assurance 6
R Robotic weld cell - maintenance issues - expertise needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
J Requirements for Layered Process Audits including Maintenance, Shipping, Receiving IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Preventive Maintenance Implementation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
D Preventative Maintenance for Gages, handtools etc Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
C Maintenance of Product Technical Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6 a) maintenance and repair facilities - Production tooling management and personnel IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
qualprod Best criteria to measure Corrective Action effectiveness - Poor Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Minitab tool to evaluate PM (Preventive Maintenance) process Using Minitab Software 6
B Total Productive Maintenance - Company Transport IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P Minor Non-Conformance - Maintenance Records Not Fully Completed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
L 21CRF820.70(g)(2) Maintenance Inspection Interval 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
I Tool maintenance and calibration procedure - Calibrating tools/equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
K IATF16949 8.5.1.5 Total Productive Maintenance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J FAA Maintenance Requirements - DER Repair to a PMA Part Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
K Maintenance requirements for Production Equipment in AS9100D General Auditing Discussions 8
T Part 145 Maintenance Station S/N ESN Character Requirements EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
M Preventive Maintenance Spreadsheet in Excel Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
B IATF 16949 Section 8.5.1.5 (Total Productive Maintenance) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
Document Dame Does AS9100 certified OEM need AS9110 if no maintenance is provided? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
N Laboratory Audit Nonconformance - Maintenance of Standards ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
A Technical File Maintenance - Old generation product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
L Seeking help in Basic Maintenance Knowledge Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M CAPA due to Consumer not following Maintenance Instructions... Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S Preparing a Turtle Diagram for Maintenance Department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
U Relating maintenance to product quality Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S ISO 9001 Audit requirement for maintenance department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
C Service and maintenance in an initial importer facility USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
A Electronic Maintenance Records stored in a machine ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A How to create a Maintenance procedure based on TS 16949 Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
N ISO 9001 Quality Manual for an O&M (Operations and Maintenance) Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
S Predictive Maintenance Format / Example Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
T Are Customers required to follow a Manufacturers Maintenance Schedule? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Manufacturer Responsibility (vs. User/Customer) for Preventive Maintenance/Repair 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Technical Files/Dossier/STED File Maintenance for Notified Body Audiits Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
C Document Revision for each new Preventative Maintenance Checklist? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Where to start Maintenance Function Kaizen Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
A Assessing a Preventive Maintenance Strategy - Reliability or Maintenance Statistics Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
J Maintenance Man Hour Plan which satisfies EASA Part 145.A.30 (example needed) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
S How to determine Preventive Maintenance and Calibration Grace Periods General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Q Preventative Maintenance Procedure that meets ISO TS 16949 Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4