Major Customer requires a contingency response plan to a possible Avian Flu Pandemic

J

JRKH

Not sure where to put this so here goes.

We have been tasked by our major customer with devising a response plan to a possible Avian Flu Pandemic.
Of course we in the USA have not been exposed as of yet but it's only a matter of time.

Anyone else had to do this?
What have you done?

I've gotten a lot of info from the customer and from CDC but would appreciate others input.

I am particularly interested in small company implementation (50 to 100 people)

Thanks for any and all input.

James:thanx:

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
So did we, James. Just last Friday one of our major customers requested our Avian Flu Plan. We are 65 employees. I'm not sure what we'll do - I forwarded that email straight to the Plant Manager. :D

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
JRKH said:
Not sure where to put this so here goes.

We have been tasked by our major customer with devising a response plan to a possible Avian Flu Pandemic.
Of course we in the USA have not been exposed as of yet but it's only a matter of time.

Anyone else had to do this?
What have you done?

I've gotten a lot of info from the customer and from CDC but would appreciate others input.

I am particularly interested in small company implementation (50 to 100 people)

Thanks for any and all input.

James:thanx:

It seems a bit premature to be asking for contingency plans, because epidemiolgists haven't had a good chance yet to be able to make predictions, and some of the early data may be misleading. There's an interesting article here written by Tara Smith, an assistant professor at the University of Iowa's College of Public Health.

J

JerryStem

I'm really tired of hearing about another person and some cat dieing from this flu. What, maybe 100 people or so thus far? What percentage is that of the world's population? How many types of flu are there? How many die from these hundreds/thousands of other types but noone talks about it?

I'd bet our plan is to either use vacation days or keep working, because we get no sick days.......

Jerry:rolleyes:

J

JRKH

Pandemics in general

JerryStem said:
I'm really tired of hearing about another person and some cat dieing from this flu. What, maybe 100 people or so thus far? What percentage is that of the world's population? How many types of flu are there? How many die from these hundreds/thousands of other types but noone talks about it?

I'd bet our plan is to either use vacation days or keep working, because we get no sick days.......

Gee Jerry, really sorry to add to your stress level on a Monday. :whip: :mg:

I really think this is about more than just Avian Flu. With the world situation as it is, and the threats of some sort of chemical or biological attack/catastrophe, it really only makes sense to have some sort of plan in place.

As far as this particlular flu goes it may only be a few people, but humans have little defense against it. Should it become transmitable via human contact it could spread worldwide in a matter of days due to modern modes of travel. While I agree that there is pehaps too much media attention paid to it, I also know that it won't be prevented by downplaying the potential.

Some kind of pandemic is likely coming. It isn't a question of if. It's a question of what and when.

James

Wesley Richardson

Wes R
Trusted Information Resource
Have you asked your major customer to share their plan with your company? Tell them that you would like to model your plan on theirs.

It seems to me that your plan should not be for this specific incident, but rather for a wide range of yet unknown, possible events. The plan should try to anticipate everything from a tornado or fire wiping out your facility, to hazardous spills by a neighboring facility, etc.

Wes R.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Wesley Richardson said:
Have you asked your major customer to share their plan with your company? Tell them that you would like to model your plan on theirs.
Wes R.

Excellent suggestion, Wes.:agree1:

J

JRKH

Customer's plan

Wesley Richardson said:

It seems to me that your plan should not be for this specific incident, but rather for a wide range of yet unknown, possible events. The plan should try to anticipate everything from a tornado or fire wiping out your facility, to hazardous spills by a neighboring facility, etc.

Wes R.

Yes they have. I have been reviewing it this morning. Of course this plan is for a huge corporation with multiple facilities and I have to try to pare it down to our level.

Also I wholeheartedly agree that the plan should cover a multiple of possible contingencies and not confine itself to the Avian Flu.

Thanks for the help.

James

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
JerryStem said:

It doesn't seem like much so far...but half of the 100 people died from it. That ratio is sobering. In the last month or two it has spread across Asia and Europe. I wouldn't write this one off just yet.

It is always a good idea to plan how you should handle a significant catastrophe. It would be doubly bad if it also puts companies out of business.

J

JerryStem

Don't forget to include a SARS outbreak...

Southpark:

"Randy: Listen to me Stanley. I have SARS. There's only a 98% percent chance that I will live.
Stan: No Dad, No!"

Jerry

Top Bottom