Major Google Search Changes - January 2012

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin

"Google’s search results are undergoing their most radical transformation ever, as a new “Search Plus Your World” format begins rolling out today. It finds both content that’s been shared with you privately along with matches from the public web, all mixed into a single set of listings."

With Tuesday’s changes to Google’s search engine, photos and posts from Google+ will increasingly appear within the search results. The changes effectively create customized search results for people who are logged in to Google. A person who searches for the term “Ohio,” for example, might find private photos that their friends have shared on Google+ as well as public information about the state.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

aliasJohnQ

Well Marc,
Anyone above the age of 40 is not willing to "share" more stuff with our "friends" are we?
Facebook isn't something the above 40 crowd is going for, is it?
Here's the old saying that your gen is saying also: "If they haven't contacted you in 40 years, the hell with them"....but the 20 something and 30 something gen are different...Much different! They actually care about people, cultures, and our planet, not like the 50 and 60 somethings...

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

"Google’s search results are undergoing their most radical transformation ever, as a new “Search Plus Your World” format begins rolling out today. It finds both content that’s been shared with you privately along with matches from the public web, all mixed into a single set of listings."

With Tuesday’s changes to Google’s search engine, photos and posts from Google+ will increasingly appear within the search results. The changes effectively create customized search results for people who are logged in to Google. A person who searches for the term “Ohio,” for example, might find private photos that their friends have shared on Google+ as well as public information about the state.
There is a way to turn the feature off in search preferences.

The difference is kind of like using Google desktop search or searching the web. In my case, 180 "personal" hits on "wes bucey" and 190,000 hits when searching the web.

Seems like a very stupid feature to me - I'm glad it can be turned off.

B

Bonhomme

@AliasJohnQ I disagree.

I don't see this as an "old vs. young" mark

To me, this is another sign/step in the direction of "oh, let me help you, see how shiny my features are ?"

Programs, O/S, social networks, search engines ... they all do more and more things for you as a "fancy service, look, no need to be some computer dork, you can do it too"

Except that they lose their flexibility in the process, and often lack an option to disable the "shiny new stuff" (or even better, keep the baseline as it is and offer an option to toggle the new stuff on)

If I want to share pictures with my friends, I know how to do it, thank you.
And when I use google, I know I want links with informations; nothing more, thank you again.

Back then I was happy (well, once calmed down a little :eek:) to have computer problems. It made me acquire a basic-clunky-but-it-works knowledge.
Now, everything is done for you, if it's broken you almost have to replace it or buy a new one
And God forbid you want something that doesn't have its tickbox or shiny button. That would obviously mean you're deviant, not in sync. with human "needs" and trends :sarcasm:

That may also mean I'm already a grumpy old man inside :nope:

P

pldey42

Well Marc,
Anyone above the age of 40 is not willing to "share" more stuff with our "friends" are we?
Here's the old saying that your gen is saying also: "If they haven't contacted you in 40 years, the hell with them"....but the 20 something and 30 something gen are different...Much different! They actually care about people, cultures, and our planet, not like the 50 and 60 somethings...
This is just insulting. To make such silly generalizations about perceived differences between generations is ignorant, not to mention inconsistent with the claim of caring about people and cultures.

Is this a troll?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
Well Marc,
I didn't post to address age factors and I don't see it as a negative, but...

I know a lot of older folks sharing stuff on Facebook. There are a lot of older folks on LinkedIn and Twitter. And it appears Google+ is doing OK.

Personally, I'm not into social networking but I do know plenty of folks my age are. I do agree that the younger folks get into it more than older folks. I doubt there has ever been a time when generational factors don't come into play. Changes come faster than before, but change is normal. I'll bet when you hit your 60's you'll say the same thing most older people say at one time or another: "When I was young, things were better because...." That's pretty standard. My father said that to me years ago, and his father said the same to him. I also remember my father telling me how excited he was when, as a kid, he saw an airplane fly over head for the first time in his life. My grandmother called bicycles "wheels" until the day she died.

But - That's not why I posted. I posted mainly from the aspect of how web site owners are reacting, as well as people in general. Again, to me it's not an issue. From the aspect of this stuff appearing in Google searches - I couldn't care less. There is a toggle if you want to turn it off. And I'm also a person who doesn't care if, for example, Facebook is set up so that it is able to "follow me" around the web as I browse other sites. Some people really, really hate that type of thing. Me - meh - Who cares. It's just advertising info they're after.

"If they haven't contacted you in 40 years, the hell with them" doesn't apply to me. I'm sure it does to many people, but not many that I personally know. I don't know how many others feel the same way. I've run into old friends whom I haven't seen in years and rekindled old friendships. In fact my GF is a gal I knew back in high school whom I hadn't seen or heard from in over 30 years. One night I got a call from her and we've sorta been hanging out together since.

As to your: "...but the 20 something and 30 something gen are different...Much different! They actually care about people, cultures, and our planet, not like the 50 and 60 somethings..." - Son, I was picking up garbage on trails and packing it out in places like the Red River Gorge in the 1960's and 1970's. You probably weren't born then. To say that people who are over 50 don't care about people, cultures, and our planet is painting with a mighty broad brush and making assumptions that aren't necessarily true any more than the assertion that the 20 something and 30 something gen people all do care. Most that I know don't care. Actually few of them give it a thought and even fewer are active in any activity trying to change things. As with older people, some care, some don't.

I will say I care less these days because I've seen 60 years of politics and I see the US (and many other countries, for that matter) as having run off the road where large corporations are more important than people. You might say I've given up caring what happens when people keep voting in idiots who say stupid stuff like "Drill, baby, drill", or "Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran". And look at all the pollution from activities like "fracking".

I'll leave it to YOUR generation to "fix" things. You're the ones that have to live with the pollution, the corruption, global population growth and all that goes with it. I was protesting and such 40 years ago, to no avail short of maybe shortening the Viet Nam war a bit. I have too few years left now to care what happens. If the majority of people (young and old) want to watch Faux news and believe stuff like "Global Warming is a myth", so be it. I'll watch Jon Stewart and Colbert and get my jollies from their shows which do a good job of showing the "idiocracy" going on.

I'm not sure what the intention of your post is. All I did was post about a new Google search feature and linked to Danny Sullivan's SEW page. Maybe you have some point in mind. I don't. It's just a new way Google is presenting it's search results.

P

pldey42

According to Twitter, it's a Bad Thing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jan/11/google-search-changes-internet-twitter

"As we've seen time and time again, news breaks first on Twitter, as a result, Twitter accounts and tweets are often the most relevant results. We're concerned that as a result of Google's changes, finding this information will be much harder for everyone. We think that's bad for people, publishers, news organisations and Twitter users."

However, Amit Singhai of Google, introducing the changes in a blogpost, said: "We're transforming Google into a search engine that understands not only content, but also people and relationships." He pointed out that Google is introducing a "toggle" that will let people see the results with and without personalisation."

And with this change Google understands people and relationships? The agony aunt in the cloud?

Curioser and curioser,
Pat

M

Mbdaff

AliasJohnQ - really?

I think the bigger picture here is that everyone needs to be very cognizant of what they post and who can see it (regardless of age). Keep in mind that potential employers can see what you post (unless you have been smart and reviewed your privacy settings) and others that you may not want to see certain things. For example, the drunken party posting of pictures may seem fun now, but in a few years when you are trying to find a job or your children are searching online - how will that affect you? Trashing a former employer online might seem like innocent venting, but future employers can see this and may think twice about hiring a potential malcontent. Saying something snide or snippy about a family member may cause irreparable harm. The pictures you post of your children can be used in unapproved advertisements that many, many other people can see. It is enlightening to do a search for your own name and see what turns up - you may be surprised! :bonk: Oh, and don't get me started on the phishers & hackers that can post things as you - because you left yourself open for the taking!

Yes, you can turn the features off for your viewing pleasure, but that doesn't make them go away!

I have ceased to be a big fan of Google because it seems that most searches that I have done lately have ended up putting malware sites as the most relevant, and I've had enough of that crap to make me leery of any search return.

I don't think this is age related at all, except that hopefully, with age comes a little more wisdom and temperance.

Just my thoughts......

A

aliasJohnQ

Marc,
Your right on the money here! "kids" don't have the experience to know what we lived thru....the violence of the civil rights movements, the time when your a newbie at a company you were treated terrible, but you hung in there, and now, all the young people want it perfect...I just have to laugh at them and facebook. And don't get me started with Twitter or the farming game. It's so funny that kids today can't play outside, but they can get together online to play games...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M ISO 9001 Major Nonconformance Internal Audit Schedule/COVID-19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Scanton Double Major for the same infraction? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M Major vs. Minor for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
S Formula for Calculating NoGo Major Diameter for UN gages Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Fact or fiction - Repeat minor becomes a major IATF non-conformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
N Validation procedure, Major NC CAP - Equipment Validation process is not effective ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is this a Major AS9100 QMS change - Quality Concerns AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K FAA Audit - Major nonconformity for lack of timely calibration of two devices EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion How major corporations in the West keep failing to uphold their pledges of abolishing child labor in their cocoa supply chains Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 3
R Major nonformance finding was given during a closing meeting of a ISO9001 certification audit General Auditing Discussions 76
Y Informational Change control process - Major vs Minor change - Active class III medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
A Where are the rules for when a repeat minor nonconformance becomes a major? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 36
P Major Finding Elevation - Do I elevate this minor finding to a major one? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
J IATF 16949 registration - Major Nonconformance Finding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Sidney Vianna Top 10 Major and minor NC's during IATF 16949:2016 Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
G AIAG FMEA - Major customers of the FMEA process FMEA and Control Plans 3
M New Medical Device Accessory with New Function - Is this a major change? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
C IATF 16949 : 2016 - How put in place a Containment for this kind of Major NC IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
A ISO 14001:2015 transition audit - Major NC due to the procedure and audit plan ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
C How does a major NC for a support site affect our certificate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
AlienraverX How to appeal a major audit finding ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
W IATF 16949 Clause 6.1.1 - My first Major NCR (Management Review) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 57
K Outsourced Major Processes - Working for Two Sister Companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Non-addressed Minor Finding elevated to Major Finding Internal Auditing 37
B IATF 16949: Definition Major/Minor Non-conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Increase in Major TS16949 Audit Findings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
S Could I issue major finding for Inadequate Procedures Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
T Defining Major vs. Minor Changes to Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Is Failure to achieve a Goal a Major Non-Conformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
C Notification to Customers regarding Major Audit Finding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
J Follow up on Major Audit Finding General Auditing Discussions 15
C ISO 9001:2008 Audit Major Finding - Dial Calipers not set to zero ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
N Formula that will calculate the NoGo Major Diameter of an M20 x 1.5 6H Thread gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
6 Print Callout for a Special Thread - 1.173-18 UNS-3A Major Dia. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
D When to complete FAA Form 337 (Major Repair and Alteration) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 4
C Measurements of Major Diameters of plug thread gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
S What are the implications of a major NC during a TS 16949 surveillance audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
U Major Nonconformance - We had a control in place that was not on the control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
H Internal Audit Major Nonconformity or Not? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 24
R Classification of Major & Minor Defects AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 10
M What are the major causes of Forklift Accidents? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 13
Q Raising a Major Nonconformance during an Internal Audit Internal Auditing 23
N Second Registrar Visit to Confirm Major Nonconformances Fixed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L Definitions for Minor & Major Nonconformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15