Definition Major vs. Minor Nonconformance (Finding) - Internal Audit - Definition & Differences

A

alexi

Last month, we had our Internal Quality Audit and as an Audit Team Leader, the final decision whether a certain nonconformance will be raised as major or minor noncompliance is in my hand, I had a hard time classifying them. What I did is that I just follow the definition of Major and minor and that's it, i come up with my decision. Question: If a certain noncompliance has been repeated over and over again during the audit, can I raise it as major? If during the audit, the auditee will say that there procedure is on-process of revising, will its still be a noncompliance/
Can you help me with this, i jsut need some sample cases on when to give major or minor noncompliance...

Thank you for reading my mail, hope to receive a reply from you guys...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J
You bring up a situation that, in all probability, occurs far too often. I myself have experienced the "we are currently revising our procedure" syndrome in different organizations I have been affiliated with.

As far as deciding the weight assigned to a nonconformance, it is hard to go wrong by following the definition of Major vs. Minor like you did. One thing you might think about though, in order to gain higher echelon management attention to the problem, is to cite the repeated discrepancy in the form of a Major nonconformance against element 4.14 Corrective and Preventive Action. I know several Registered Lead Auditors from different Registrars that do this and was taught that very way myself while attending a Lead Auditor Course.

The frequency and situation surrounding the repeated noncompliance is only something you know about within your organization but, if there appears to really be a systemic problem there - you are within your rights to do what I just described. Good luck to you.

Are there any more thoughts out there on the subject?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Yes - multiple minors can (and should) add up to a major as that indicates the 'system is broken'. In the old ISO days 5 to 7 minors made a major.

Now days it's real flexible, however, and it is not a part of the written standard.

Also see http://Elsmar.com/level2/m-vs-m.html

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 24 July 2001).]

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hey...its Internal.....you make the rules. Define it and do it. Thats what makes Internal and 3rd party so different..is it serious for the company as you see it? Then Its a major. Does it need to carry weight to get attention....then its a major !!!!

S
What makes the difference?
A nonconformance is a nonconformance, is a nonconformance.
Even from a third party, if I get a major I have to evaluate and make corrections; If I get a minor I have to evaluate and make corrections ; If I receive an observation or an opportunity for improvement (new verbage) I still have to evaluate and make corrections (if not it will result in a major or minor the next time)

Point being, all nonconformances need to be fixed and processes need to be continuously improved. (Value Added)
Discussing what is or what isn't. (Non-value Added)

M

mooser

Difference between a Major & Minor finding

I have to relate to our Internal Auditors the difference between a major and minor finding in our internal audits. I suspect that all our findings are minor since our company has been registared for 4 years now. Is there somewhere that find an explanation?
mooser

A

Alf Gulford

I'm sure you'll get much better answers than this but we've always said that a Major is one of three things:

1. A non-existent or broken down system that's required by the standards.

2. A situation that might reasonably cause the customer to get bad product.

3. What should be a minor but has happened before and never seems to get fixed.

This is the way I learned it from a variety of consultants and ISO trainers. Hope it's helpful. I've never seen an 'official' definition and don't even know if Major and Minor distinctions are recognized by ISO.

Alf

[This message has been edited by Alf Gulford (edited 15 August 2001).]

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
Alf....thats a good explaination. A difficcult decision for internal auditors.

I have stopped calling them major/minor until the auditors are seasoned.....they are all "findings" the decision is made by the mgt Rep or audit coordinator to keep it consistent. the IA writes up a summary of findings as part of the report, it is presented at a 'psuedo closing meeting' the area owners take responsibility, and discuss root cause and CA right there.......Then the CAR is issued if needed. Minutes are kept, for the audit file and follow up may be assigned. This is a new approach, has some bugs, not all my clients will be able to make the change...but for those who have its been great. I have also added 'continuous improvement' opportunities here.

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
This is how we've defined/explained to our auditors:
9.1 Nonconformities
9.1.4 Nonconformities must be objective, traceable, and complete.
9.1.5 Identify nonconformity classification:
9.1.5.1 MAJOR – Quality system does not comply with ISO standard.
9.1.5.2 MINORImplementationis not consistent with quality documentation or implemented system is not effective.
9.1.5.3 OBSERVATION – In the opinion of the auditor, improvement would be beneficial to avoid future noncompliance (QA and/or Plant Manager to decide if preventive action should be initiated).

Our previous determination of 'observations' being derived from a management system type review rather than quality system of course needs to be revamped for the y2k rev.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Where are the rules for when a repeat minor nonconformance becomes a major? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 36
E Short Case Studies - Major/Minor Nonconformance, Observation or OK? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Auditor says a Minor Nonconformance will become a Major Nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 8
M Is it necessary to classify nonconformance as minor, major, observations in an IQA? Internal Auditing 18
P Lack of 3rd Shift Internal Audit - Major or Minor NC (Nonconformance)? Internal Auditing 17
D Major vs. Minor Nonconformance - TS 16949 3rd Party Audit Question IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M What happens if a Major or Minor Nonconformance is found during Surveillance Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Major/Minor Nonconformity - Nonconformance from last audit found again Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
D Definition Major vs. Minor Nonconformance (Finding) - Difference and Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 20
Randy Minor Nonconformance turning into a Major - Systemic failure throught an organization General Auditing Discussions 40
Q Nonconformance vs. Nonconformity - I cannot find major and minor, either! Nonconformance and Corrective Action 36
C Fact or fiction - Repeat minor becomes a major IATF non-conformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Y Informational Change control process - Major vs Minor change - Active class III medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
P Major Finding Elevation - Do I elevate this minor finding to a major one? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
Sidney Vianna Top 10 Major and minor NC's during IATF 16949:2016 Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T Non-addressed Minor Finding elevated to Major Finding Internal Auditing 37
B IATF 16949: Definition Major/Minor Non-conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Defining Major vs. Minor Changes to Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Classification of Major & Minor Defects AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 10
L Definitions for Minor & Major Nonconformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S What constitutes Major and Minor changes in Software Software Quality Assurance 7
M Is a Corrective Action required for each major/minor Tool Repair? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
M Minor/ Major Change - Japan - When you have to notify the PMDA of a change? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
J Major NC downgraded to Minor by Registrar during Re-Visit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
M Definition Major vs. Minor Non Conformance Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
S MBA Finance major & HR minor job opportunity in TQM field Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A Supplier Evaluation SOP - How do I Define Major and Minor Suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
A Escalating Minor Nonconformances into Major Nonconformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K How to categorize Minor, Major or Observation for Internal Audit NCR Internal Auditing 28
B Is a sewer line inside the production house a Major or Minor NC? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
T Key Characteristics - Critical vs. Major vs. Minor - AS9100 vs. MIL-STDs AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
V Audit CAR Classification definitions - Major, Minor, or Observation General Auditing Discussions 2
H Definition Major Nonconformity vs. Minor Nonconformity - Definition and Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
B Classifying findings as Major vs. Minor findings in the AS9100 world AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
K SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Request) Major and Minor Classification Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
Wayne Screw Thread Major and Minor Diameters - Parts vs. Gages Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
W TS 16949 Audit - Examples of Major & Minor NC's and Observations for Stage 1&2 audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
W Effect of Major and Minor NonConformances during Registration audit - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
M Definition Major vs. Minor Finding During external ISO audit - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 25
D Definition Major vs Minor NonConformances - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
Antonio Vieira Difficulty ?passing? Quality audits - Number of Major / Minor Nonconformances Allowed General Auditing Discussions 12
S Establishing Internal Audit Nonconformity Level Criteria - Major vs. Minor? Internal Auditing 46
K Major and Minor Nonconformances - What is the difference between Major and Minor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Difference between major, Minor, finding and Observation in relation to a CAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
B Major vs. Minor vs. Opportunity for Improvement - Product as well as Office Processes Internal Auditing 27
V Internal Audits - Major vs. Minor Findings Internal Auditing 4
J Internal Audit Findings - Major vs. Minor Finding - Defining the differences Internal Auditing 14
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11