Definition Major vs. Minor Nonconformance (Finding) - Internal Audit - Definition & Differences

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Our findings are findings, we do not classify them as major or minor. A minor could turn into a major if not taken care of thru the system. I believe this is mostly registrar talk. However, this is my definition:
MINOR N/C- ISOLATED PROBLEM CONFINED TO ONE AREA.
MAJOR N/C- PROBLEM IS EVIDENT IN MORE THAN ONE AREA AND IDICATIONS OF A COMPLETE BREAKDOWN OF THE PROCESS SYSTEM

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
David,

I like your thinking. Let the decision be made by the bigger fish. Takes all the interpretation/subjection out of the picture.

BTW...who is that cutie you are holding?

CarolX

D

David Mullins

the shower shot

The little bloke is number one son James, then 2 now 8.
He has 2 younger sibblings (troublemakers).
We were living in an outback desert at the time - hence the extensive suntan.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
This topic has come up again in a recent thread. Thought I'd bump this thread as a 'reminder'. This is a pretty good thread.

A

AirdrieQPA

Re: Major vs. Minor Nonconformance (Finding) - Internal Audit - Definition & Differen

We just finished our second audit since registrations (AS9100 and ISO9001:2000) and while I agree with most of the threads, we were just scolded for not defining the very thing being discussed here. We had it, removed it following the same logic presented here and now we were given an opportunity to define in our process what is a non-conformance, what is an opportunity and what triggers such activity.

So there you go, just when you think you finally have it figured out, the wind changes.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: Major vs. Minor Nonconformance (Finding) - Internal Audit - Definition & Differen

we were just scolded for not defining the very thing being discussed here. SNIP....B><......
So there you go, just when you think you finally have it figured out, the wind changes.
If you are changing your system because of an auditor's opinion, you run the risk of having to change it again, when a new auditor shows up. There is no requirement that forces you to categorize non-conformities for internal audits.

Reactions: db
D

db

We just finished our second audit since registrations (AS9100 and ISO9001:2000) and while I agree with most of the threads, we were just scolded for not defining the very thing being discussed here. We had it, removed it following the same logic presented here and now we were given an opportunity to define in our process what is a non-conformance, what is an opportunity and what triggers such activity.

Ask your auditor where the "shall" is?

AndyN

Moved On

This is where a handy-dandy copy of the 'bible' on auditing is helpful - ISO 19011. It doesn't mention anything about 'majors and minors' and what they mean. IMHO it's not appropriate for IA and the CB auditor needs to get a life and their management need to know they have a biased auditor on their books!

Top Bottom