Making reports and follow-up on KPI's - Seeking help on how to track and report

P

pigeon

In our company we are re-thinking our way of making reports and follow-up on KPI's. The challenge is to provinde structure (overview) in the existing KPI's and flexibility when new KPI's or analysis are required.

We developed our own reporting tool in Excel with charts for every KPI (about 30 or so). Every department (7) has an excel file in which basic data is entered. This data is transferred to a master data excell- file, from which we make our KPI's and graphs. Every KPI has a chart and an action-list (action -cause - responsible - due date - check effectiveness) (see example in attachment).

Besides the monthly reporting of the KPI's, there is sometimes the need (ad hoc) to make some additional analysis and reports (personal interest or requested by corporate management, ...). These reports are made by members of management but are saved in personal files or someone else who needs the same analysis, has to do the same work again (in the best case with the same basic data). Sometimes also basic data has to be added for this purpose.

I'm trying to find a well-organized database which enables to give an overview of the exisiting and to easily make 'ad hoc' reports from a set of basic data.

As a first step, I was thinking about making a database in access with an overview of and links to the basic data and KPI-graphs we have (all excell files or data in a excell file), but I have not much experience in this. Making an overview of the ad hoc reports would be the next step.

Can someone provide an example of a database or ideas how to do this?

In attachment an example of how we track KPI's.

Attachments

• EXT.QA Audits on time1.xls
    35 KB · Views: 830
J

Joe Cruse

I don't have an example, but if you have anybody in your IT section that has database knowledge, they should be able to write you something to handle this. MS Access could probably handle this fairly easily.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
At Fluor, we've gone to a Statistical Process Control format for reporting out KPI's. This has had a great deal of success here, and is spreading throughout Fluor and to other US Department of Energy locations. I have attached a paper called "Leading with Leading Indicators" which outlines the principles. This was also covered in an ASQ Quality Progress article called "Stoplight Charts with SPC Inside" which is available to ASQ members. I have attached a file with a little more detail on how the charts look in the package.

Attachments

• Leading_Indicators_Greenville.ppt
    320.5 KB · Views: 739
  • Dashboards.ppt
    231.5 KB · Views: 1,133
Top Bottom