Malaysia Airlines Plane May Have Crashed - March 2014

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
A 12-mile long oil slick spotted between Malaysia and Vietnam Saturday afternoon is thought to be the first sign that a missing Malaysia Airlines flight with 239 people aboard went down in the waters between southernmost Vietnam and northern Malaysia, according to Vietnam?s director of civil aviation.

?An AN26 aircraft of the Vietnam Navy has discovered an oil slick about 20 kilometers in the search area, which is suspected of being a crashed Boeing aircraft -- we have announced that information to Singapore and Malaysia and we continue the search,? Lai Xuan Thanh, the director of the Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam said in reporting the sighting of the slick.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-flight.html?_r=0

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Oil Slick Sighting Is First Sign Malaysia Airlines Plane May Have Crashed

This could be a weird one. I read one place that 2 passengers passports were stolen so they didn't get on the plane. I wonder how deep the water is where the plane went down.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource

Given that 777s are continuously in touch via satellite and other means with operations centers and air traffic controllers, and the transponder was apparently not switched to emergency, and no Mayday was called, whatever happened was very fast. That suggests some type of explosion.

B

bi-lo

No debris or anything?

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions

There are a lot of stolen passports being used and passed around. Chances are there are many flights taking off carrying passengers using stolen passports. I seem to remember that there were some blank passports for the UK stolen a few years ago, that was one batch of them without any details. Perfect for faking documents. I think people tend to jump to conclusions when they reported 2 stolen passports were used. Terrorism right? Well it could be any number of reasons from drugs to someone just wanting to not use their own valid passport for some reason. Even States use stolen or otherwise faked passports for their own use.
IIRC there were a few British and Australian stolen passports used for the assassination of someone in a Dubai hotel a few years ago. IIRC he was a middle-eastern high ranking official in one of the Palestinian groups killed by a well known middle east state intelligence service whose operatives used these stolen passports.
I'm personally waiting for the link between these stolen passports and the missing 777 to be established and made public. The only thing we can be sure of is the safety record of the 777 plane. I believe Malaysian Airlines aren't a mickey mouse outfit neither so I doubt maintenance issues espec with what people are agreeing is a rapid failure (or the 777 would have reported back to base some issue before the crash).
Am I right is reading the 777 not just reports it's status (e.g. flight condition) regularly but also it's location to the airline's operation centres?? That they get all sorts of telemetry back. I find that interesting. Information sent through radio links I assume, data compression and frequency issues as well. I do wonder with all the 777s around, how do they not get signals mixed or corrupted?

D

Dean Frederickson

My question is do jets carry enough oil to create an oil slick 12 miles long? Or is oil slick used to describe any type fuel leak. The reported stolen passports were reported stolen 2 months prior to this flight, why when the passengers boarding this flight used those passports did it not raise red flags? Either way I would have to agree with whatever happened it had to have been something that happened instantaneously.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Let's wait and see...

B

bi-lo

The only thing we can be sure of is the safety record of the 777 plane.
Possibilities regardless of its safety record:

poor ground maintenance
aerial accident
sabotage/suicide
or an act of terror e.g. missile hit

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hileen

I agree. The sad thing is that 239 people lost their lives. Tragic.

Top Bottom