Malaysian Airlines Flight Search is Over?

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Well, it appears that they've found the crash site of MH370 - in the South Indian Ocean, in the opposite direction of where the Malaysian Airlines flight was scheduled to go. The Malaysian Prime Minister has notified the families, so the evidence must be pretty strong.

So sad, hope they can determine the cause soon, to help get some kind of closure for those families.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

silentrunning

Re: Search is Over?

Looking at some of the comments on YAHOO it seems that a lot of people aren't convinced.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource

Looking at some of the comments on YAHOO it seems that a lot of people aren't convinced.
This is to be expected, I would think. The way it's been handled up until now leaves much to be desired.

I was also surprised at the steps taken (informing families, informing the press with such a definitive statement) based on information they say they have. Typically, NOTHING is said until they have hard evidence in their hands.

Imagine the backlash if they're wrong and it's just floating garbage - egad.

Last edited:
S

silentrunning

Imagine the backlash if they're wrong and it's just floating garbage - egad.
So far all parties concerned have a pretty poor track record reporting with any accuracy. I am sick of the conspiracy theories and would just like to let the families grieve in peace and dignity.

M

MIREGMGR

All of the direct south-Indian-Ocean searchers...the Australians, Chinese and USA using aircraft and satellite imaging to my knowledge, plus the French and other countries using only satellite visual and radar imaging...have carefully said that they've seen "objects" or "something". Some reports have included a general shape and a color--one today described "a rectangular orangish object and a round grayish or greenish object".

One of the spotted objects was looked at from moderate altitude and identified as a wooden pallet. There are a lot of wooden pallets in the world's oceans, I reckon.

I haven't seen any report of a sighting that described anything that's been found as being associable with an aircraft in general, let alone specifically related to MH370.

My guess is that the Malaysians are trying to close this unpleasant episode by declaring it arbitrarily over.

I'll be very surprised if the Chinese and US governments, most especially, are willing to have the search end just because it's unpleasant for the Malaysians. I'd guess that the Aussies are on board until something is found, too.

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
The information came from inmarsat and the AAIB from the UK. Inmarsat used the data collected by their satellite networks and pretty complex modelling to determine the flight details. Their scientists did the maths then passed it on to be independently reviewed. They then informed the Malaysians and the AAIB.
Basically these two bodies determined the direction of the flight. Since nowhere to land there away from land...
I heard an interview on UK BBC radio news with the former head of the NTSB, the USA equivalent to AAIB. He gushed about how the AAIB are among the most respected bodies in air accident investigation. How the work they have just done with INMARSAT to work out the final flight details was breaking new ground. He had no doubt at all that they've got it right.
No matter how little you trust the Malay officials, this came from an independent UK air accident and investigation body and an independent UK company. I believe them to be respected bodies and believe their conclusions.

kgott

I am sick of the conspiracy theories and would just like to let the families grieve in peace and dignity.
I agree that the families should be able to grieve in peace and dignity and that they should also be told the truth of the situation no matter what that is.

Question is who are the conspiracy theorists people are sick of? Those who say it was a hijacking without evidence?

Does this find in the ocean support the pilot who thought there was a fire from the nose wheel tyre which caused the sudden change in direction to the nearest airstrip they could land at but they could'nt make it because the pilots died from smoke inhalation and the plane just continued on on its setting until it run out of fuel.

These pilots have been demonised by many but they may equally have been hero's. What does that say about the conspiracy theorists who immediately implied it was terrorism??

Some reporter reporting from Pearce airport in Perth said on radio this morning that someone at the controls may have crashed the plane into the sea. What was the evidence or motivation for making this statement ??

I think this kind of conspiracy theorist makes this the world a more fearful place by breeding more and more fear in the population which results in more and more fear based laws.

M

MIREGMGR

I do hope the search continues until the black boxes are found. It'd be nice to actually know where the plane went, and get some resolution as to the circumstances.

The known turn to roughly WSW until perhaps somewhere over Indonesia, then an apparent turn to roughly S toward open ocean, with multiple altitude changes, is hard to understand in any theory and particularly hard to attribute to autopilot operation. Experts have suggested that the westward part of the apparently flight path must have been programmed into the flight computer because of its apparent precision in steering a course to successive markers, but it's hard to believe that the pilots would have programmed the latter part of the apparently flown route into the flight computer. If the pilots were incapacitated in the latter part of the flight after setting the autopilot, and the flight computer basically lost its mind and self-set the southward course at a relatively low altitude, I'd think Boeing would want to know everything that could be learned.

TPMB4

Listening to the news last night on the radio they reported that the INMARSAT / AAIB teams had concluded the flight was at cruising altitude. IIRC that was until it went down of course. I don't know if that was the whole of it's flight or not but from the report I took it as the part of the flight on the southern corridor was at a normal height not with multiple altitude changes or at low level. If that did happen it was probably earlier on. I just haven't been following it as closely as some here have. I would like to know where the info on altitude changes came from and how reliable too?

Perhaps one day we will have a better idea on the last hours. No matter what you will get people believing what suits them.

BTW, does anyone else think that the media scrum around the families in the airport - with photographers, reporters and camera crew - came across as the worst of human nature?? We are all capable of hurting others but does the news matter more than common decency? I remember one news footage on a UK TV news channel which showed highly distraught family members having to fight with all their strength to get through the cameras with tears and looks of sheer anguish in their eyes. Disgrace! :mad: Also on me for watching I guess. Rant over sorry!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Malaysian Medical Device Registration Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
V Malaysian Authorized Representative for Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 14
Pancho United Airlines NCR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 43
Marc What Airlines Really Charge (In 1 Simple Table) Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 6
Ajit Basrur Malaysia Airlines Plane May Have Crashed - March 2014 Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 47
Stijloor Delta Airlines declared the worst! Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 43
Stijloor United and Continental airlines merge!! World News 6
Stijloor Airlines add fees on top of fees!!! Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 0
R They do things a little different on Southwest Airlines! Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 1
Marc What is Frontier Airlines like? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 14
Marc US Airlines raise base fares - April 2006 Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 1
F "Quality is Safety" In the airlines. Please Help! Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
Marc A 20 Hour Non-Stop Flight - (October 2019) Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 19
Marc Anniversary of the First Trans-Atlantic Flight 100 years ago - June 2019 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Marc USA to insist on pre-flight mobe power probe Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
Marc In flight: See the planes in the sky right now ? Interactive Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 7
AnaMariaVR2 What Do Flight Attendants Really Think of You? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 0
somashekar Mangoes ground Air India flight ~~~ Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 1
G Permit to Fly - Is flight testing relevant to our production side? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 6
Sidney Vianna The last four minutes of Air France flight 447 Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
Coury Ferguson Airbus A380 Makes it first maiden flight from LAX to Australia Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
N What Defines Flight hardware? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 25
Marc Cathay pilot finds that flight stunts aren't so funny in a new era - Flyby Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 5
Stijloor 360 Degree View of the Airbus A380 Flight Deck Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
D What is the Process for CE Marking a Flight Simulator CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marc Flight Booking Typo Takes Tourist 8,000 Miles Off Course Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 18
Marc Charter Flight Websites or Services Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 19