Management Buy In - Management has presented some interesting challenges

K

Katheryn

I work for small (70 employees) injection molder that supplies for automotive.
Management here has presented a some interesting challenges. First, big 2 (President and Vice President) want absolute control of everything. There is no "team" approach to anything thing. Every department manager is micro managed. Second, the big 2 want to be certified but don't want to invest the money/resources to make it happen. They want the certification to happen with no inconvience to themselves. The committment to this whole process doesn't exist. If you have been in similar circumstances, please share with me how you over come these types of obstacles. I was brought in specifically to develop this program, but find myself at a loss.:truce:

E

Ederie - 2007

There right now

Hi Katheryn,
I'm 6 months into the same situation... want the Flag.... don't want to change.
I started writing basic work instructions and then procedures, making small changes under the radar.
Now that I understand the operation and have 90% of the operational procedures in place, I am now starting to hit the uppers with the stuff they need to do to become certified.
I am actually having some outside auditing done and they seem to listen to strangers... but not me, seems to be getting better .......
I've read alot of similar situations in the cove, hang in there, you'll find alot of support here.
Ed

R

ralphsulser

It always amazes me how people are hired to do a job, then top management won't cooperate:frust: I guess they need to understand what will happen if they don't do it If you do not get any cooporation and you don't need to be there, tell them you are walking and they can find somone else to beat up.:bonk:

K

Katheryn

That is exactly where I am at. I have set up lots of programs in all types of facilities, but this is the first block of resistence that has been immovable. I hate not feeling like I am accomplishing what I was brought in to do. :bigwave:

R

ralphsulser

Katheryn said:
That is exactly where I am at. I have set up lots of programs in all types of facilities, but this is the first block of resistence that has been immovable. I hate not feeling like I am accomplishing what I was brought in to do. :bigwave:
Katheryn, I'm sure you could accomplish the task if they let go of their controlling egos.:D
If not, you don't need the stress to fight a losing battle. If on the other hand they are just not understanding the system, a little training may help open some eyes. They will get to keep the businees and bid on new business, and keep making a profit. I don't know of any TS16949:2002 Registrar that will hand out certifications so some one can paper the wall. Also, my registrar lead auditor said they are now going to focus on performance with he customer rather than nit pick the "shalls" in the standard. Also if your company has Customer Specific Requirements, such as Ford, GM, Chrysler, Visteon, Delphi, etc. these will be a big part of audit items.

AndyN

Moved On
So, 'they' won't change.......

even if **** did freeze over!!

Is there some way you can start implementation and (gradually) make it relevant to some issues they are worried about? You can come here to 'vent' but the fact remains, they won't 'get it'. You could try blackmail - "the auditor is going to ask you questions like.............and you need to know the answers or they'll walk.........." kind of thing.:lol:

Or as you implement each part of the quality system, seek out issues that they feel the need to control or are hitting the bottom line and help them to see the benefit of a process being in control by using a qms. One thing I've understood from 30 years of doing this - don't expect management to change - you have to change your behaviour. When they see the results, they will be open to realization. But it may take a while - feel free to bang your head here - we understand:frust:

Andy

K

Katheryn

This has been so.......challenging......lol I am trying to be politically correct here! All kidding aside, the top management here consist of two people who don't value people at all. Since coming here-the change over in managers as well as production people has been astounding. Most managers here-(at least in the last 3 years) last an average of 6 months.

It saddens me- as the potential to be incredible is here if the big 2 could let people do their jobs. As much as I would love to see change-even gradual baby steps......I don't think it can happen. Communication here is nil. No one talks to each other. It is even part of work instructions that you should not talk unless you are talking about defects.......

But, whatever unfolds here, this forum has answered so many questions for me. :D
Thanks so much! The things I am learning, I will take to my next job.

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Cheap advice

Ederie said:
Hi Katheryn,
Ederie said:
I'm 6 months into the same situation... want the Flag.... don't want to change.
I started writing basic work instructions and then procedures, making small changes under the radar.
Now that I understand the operation and have 90% of the operational procedures in place, I am now starting to hit the uppers with the stuff they need to do to become certified.
I am actually having some outside auditing done and they seem to listen to strangers... but not me, seems to be getting better .......
I've read alot of similar situations in the cove, hang in there, you'll find alot of support here.Ed

I've had similar experiences, but not quite as bad as this.

Here's my 2 cents.

I played the blackmail card once. It is a dangerous game. Most of the time the external auditors will let you down. You do not want to be in a position where the auditor passes a system you threatened people with as being non compliant. It is of course no good, but the plak is on the wall and you are Chicken Little. I never recovered from that in my last job.

Now I say something like "this does not meet the requirements, and a competent auditor SHOULD raise a major, BUT if you are willing to take the risk, you are more than likely going to GET AWAY WITH IT, and oh by the way, my job ends when I give you this advice, your job is to balance risk with reward and decide how to proceed" This is the application of shame - also a dangerous game to play!

Another approach is to stop writing procedures that do not specifically belong to you. I set up a steering committe with the top team, start with mandatory training for every process owner, then HELP the owners write their procedures (but take no ownership).

The longest I delayed was 2 full years for QS 9000. Every month the President asked how I was doing with QS, and I said "just great - I'm waiting for you".

Finally the customer pressure on him made him call a steering meeting, get people involved and we finally got the thing done in a few months.

It was astonishing how much people hated QS, and how they could rant about how stupid and unfair it all was, until they actually READ it, and saw it wasn't too bad at all. Kind of like Green Eggs and Ham - Sam I Am!

I also suffered through 3 "consultants" brought in to show me that I was "making too much out of all this". Tens of thousands of dollars "well spent" on that. Who did they think the consultant talks to first?

So, I offer unreasonable advice. Stop doing anything until you get support. But do it in a organized, well planned, professional manner.

A final option is the low road. Google for procedures "put your comapny name here" and call in the "low cost registrar". 40 hours, a Plak on the wall and everyone is happy as clams.

Good luck with it all. There are a few good comapnies out there who do it cause they see the value. But only a few.

K

Katheryn

Even tho I was brought in to coordinate the development of the QMS-the attitude that prevails here is that you came in to write the procedures so do it. Not managers-but the President and Vice President. They can't understand that this is not a 1 person job. It takes everyone. Everyone needs to take some ownership in their processes.:bonk:

Even with an auditor that audited with blinkers on-we would be in trouble.....lol

Thanks for the straight advice.

Kate

Top Bottom