Management of Change (MOC)

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
Hello All,
I am not sure if I am posting this question in the right location for discussion.

I need to roll out Management of Change procedure at a supplier. I have never implemented MOC and I would like to know if anyone has done it before, and if you used a step by step project plan? if so, would you please either share your plan or direct me to where I can get an MOC implementation plan example?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
HI, Desouza, This question asked you is a little blurry, and i don`t know that why do you need to implement MOC?
Hello,
I am working on assisting a supplier who wants to implement MOC (Management of Change procedure). They want to have a step by step process for managing changes in their organization.
I am asking if anyone has implemented MOC before and if they can help me by sharing their ideas on how to best implement MOC.

thanks,

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
What is the change
Why is it happening
What are risk and regulatory impact
Training for whom?
Impact to the product in the process, in transit, in use?
Verification and validation
A list of all changes from part number or revs to documents and materials.

Tailor the document to fit the companies needs where possible.

From FDA (i) Design changes. Each manufacturer shall establish and maintain procedures for the identification, documentation, validation or where appropriate verification, review, and approval of design changes before their implementation.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Hello,
I am working on assisting a supplier who wants to implement MOC (Management of Change procedure). They want to have a step by step process for managing changes in their organization.
I am asking if anyone has implemented MOC before and if they can help me by sharing their ideas on how to best implement MOC.

thanks,
Does your company have a procedure in place to address these situations? Typically the key steps for managing a change are as follows:

1. Evaluation of a change
  2. Approval to proceed with the change
  3. Implementation of the change
  4. Review to ensure that the change has been effective
  5. Reviews effectiveness of overall system

If you are at liberty to share the high level change proposal, probably you may get more thoughts.

lanley liao

Involved In Discussions
Hi,NDesouza, see the following information about MOC please:
5.11 Management of Change (MOC)
5.11.1 General
The organization shall maintain a documented procedure for MOC to ensure that the integrity of the quality management system is maintained when changes to the quality management system occur (see 5.11.2). The MOC procedure shall address the following:
a) description and purpose of changes;
b) availability of resources;
c) allocation or reallocation of responsibilities and authorities;
d) potential risks (see 5.3);
e) approvals required prior to the implementation of planned changes;
f) notification (see 5.11.3); and
g) criteria for review and completion of MOC activities.
5.11.2 MOC Application
The organization shall use MOC for any of the following when the organization has determined that the change may negatively impact the quality of the product:
a) changes in the organizational structure (see 4.2.2);
b) changes in key or essential personnel (see 4.3.2);
c) unplanned changes in the supply chain of critical products, components, or activities (see 5.6.1.1);
d) changes to the management system procedures; and/or
e) additions to the product offering beyond the organization’s current capability.
5.11.3 MOC Notification
The organization shall notify relevant personnel, including the customer when required by contract, of the change and residual or new risk due to these changes.
5.11.4 Records
The organization shall maintain records of MOC (see 4.5).
Hope it helps you.

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
Our process is set up in a spreadsheet. It may not work for all, or anyone other than me, but it helps us follow the same flow and not forget anything.

We record:

What is the identified change
What process(es) is impacted
Who are the interested parties that will be impacted
Change duration (temp or permanent)
Root Cause or reason
risk assessment and risk description
Need for PFMEA Update / Risk Assessment Update?
The action to be taken
(the following are all yes/no drop box selections)
Deviation Request or Quality alert needed?
Management System Update/Modification?
Org Structure Change?
Legal/Other Requirement Updates?
New equipment added?
New tooling added?
Contingency plan update?
Required to notify customer? New PPAP?
Responsible Person/Function
Open Date
Implemented Date
Approved by/Verified By
Comments

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
I would start with the relevant standard as the framework for MOC. If they do not have a QMS standard, then I'd use 9001 clauses 4-10 as the skeleton, and expand into the sub-clauses as it is relevant. E.g.,
  • Does this change affect (clause 4)
    • Interested parties?
    • Scope of the QMS?
    • etc.
  • Does this change affect (clause 5)
    • The quality policy?
    • Mission/vision statement?
    • Leadership involvement?
    • Organizational structure and roles?
    • etc.
  • and so on...
Obviously if something is not relevant, then no need to include it (e.g., if they don't do design then no need to include 8.3). Phrase it in their jargon, drill down where needed and critical, and streamline to single high-level questions where low-risk/low-impact.

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
How does the organization currently manage change? Do they have a document control system with a document change policy\practices? Do they have management review meetings that result in action items? Do they manage corrective actions?

Yes?

Seems like they already have a good start to having a system, they may need to remind themselves to use the tools they have.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Management of Change - MOC Procedure and Forms - Engineering, Project, Safety Systems Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Management of change procedure for ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
S Change management with FAA Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
A Purchasing Controls on Change Management of Literature/Labeling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Reports under change management | ISO 13485:2016 & ISO 9001:2015 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M EMS change management ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
M Change management procedure when 7.3 is not applicable ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Change Management vs Opportunity for Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
U Change Management vs Change Control? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
D Customer and Company Specific Requirements for notification of Customers of a change in Management or Key Personnel Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
M How to implement the 4M Change Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
J Change management with CFDA approved devices China Medical Device Regulations 1
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
R 8.1.3 Management of change - Evidence of HIRA and related things Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
T Change control and configuration management - When to create a new model/part number? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
R ISO 20000 requirement about the Change Management Policy IT (Information Technology) Service Management 3
J South Korea, MFDS - Medical Device Change Management Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
Q Top Management Change Prior to Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Y Change Management in a very complex Research Organization Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
M ISO 13485:2016 Cl. 5.1 - Management commitment verbiage change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Change Management & New Hires ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Are we an outlier for so many variations of Change Management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Who can Change goals and kpi of top management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Software Application for Management of Change (API 5.11) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
G Management of Change Procedure Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
somashekar 5.4.2 b) Integrity of QMS in Change Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Engineering Change Management Systems Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Engineering Change Management Generic Procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K How do I change management culture in regards to product? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
N Change Management, Configuration Management or Other Process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
N New to Management: Culture Change Advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
C Change Management Toolkit Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
eldercare Does anyone have a Change Management database? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L The Perfect Engineering Change and Concessions Management System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
T TS 16949 compliant Change Control Management Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T When is a Change Management Process required? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
J Backsliding QMS - My office has gone through major management change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Process Change in a Laboratory - Start Date for new Procedure - Management Opinions Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
M GM Quality System Basic - Banking & Bypass Procedure in Change Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
R Change in Direction - Management decides to Outsource Manufacturing Operations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Management Notice of Change - Sample Wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Change Control Review Management Success or Effectiveness Metric Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
M ITIL vs. ISO 20000 Change Management Requirements IT (Information Technology) Service Management 3
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) Risk Management Criteria and QA Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
C Management Of Change System or Software - Recommendations and Ideas wanted After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
D Specifications - All the same type of document? Change Management part of our QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Change Management - From basic level to implement it succesfully ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Change Management Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
A Management of Change? What does that mean? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
G Management of Change Process (OHSAS) - What would an Auditor expect to see? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6