Management of Change Procedure

G

Gulara

HI All,

I'm an internal auditor incompany, but lead quality supervisor left us without any handover, so I am in touble now.
After external audit organized by our new clients it has been found out that we don't have "Management Change Procedure".
Could you please be so kind to help me with it?....

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Management Change Procedure

Do you mean 'Change Management procedure' i.e. a procedure to manage changes in Product, Manufacturing process, Supplier, etc.?

Z

Zetta

Gulara, can you please give some more information? Was the IT department under audit?
Please correct me if I am wrong but I strongly believe that in this case it doesn't have to do with a procedure as described above to manage changes in product, manufacturing process, supplier etc. I believe that this has to do with the IT service management.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

HI All,

I'm an internal auditor incompany, but lead quality supervisor left us without any handover, so I am in touble now.
After external audit organized by our new clients it has been found out that we don't have "Management Change Procedure".

Gulara,

For coping with the sudden loss of knowledge, skills and/or talent (competence) your management system should include a responsibility for employees in key positions to train their successors. Your training procedure may specify this.

Many organizations are careful not to rely on single points of control. Your system planning and product realization planning processes may cover this.

Knowing the key positions and not relying on single points of control are examples of evidence of risk management.

Your organization is changing all the time so be sure you have determined the root causes of failing to manage change before assuming that you need to channel all future change management through a single procedure.

For example, you can make your internal audit programme robust enough to continue despite the loss of its supervisor.

John

Last edited:
M

Ms Michelle

Gulara,

The procedure should include that all changes in the organization are approved, communicated and traceable.

Michelle

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

HI All,

I feel your pain" One of the major factors in consultants like me getting assignments is because a key person is gone from the organization (death, retirement, quitting, firing - makes no difference) without leaving an orderly plan for someone else to perform his duties. Depending on the level of the missing individual, it can be a simple task or a weeks-long assignment.

Do you mean 'Change Management procedure' i.e. a procedure to manage changes in Product, Manufacturing process, Supplier, etc.?
There is a possibility all your organization needs is a simple fix consisting of a written statement that the organization will follow a systematic plan for changes (product, processes, forms, etc.) and keep a record that the plan is followed. Here's a link to a post on the topic and a sample form to use in making the record of following the plan for change. Note the sample form is primarily designed for engineering changes to a product. With a little thought, it can be modified to accommodate ANY change (product, processes, forms, etc.)

Yes, I mean this

Gulara,

The procedure should include that all changes in the organization are approved, communicated and traceable.

Michelle
Yep! This is the "systematic plan" and record.

K

kgott

This change management stuff can become a nightmare and can be difficult to do well. According to the change management units I studied it started out as a a high level thing. About introducing change into an organisation ie, market segment, new product, transition from hierarchical structure to a matrix structure, plant closure, new technology etc.

These days its come down to engineering changes scope changes and impact on safety when there is a changes in the way a job is done. My experience has taught me that its impossible to try and account for all sorts of changes that can and do happen in organizations.

About the best that can be done is to talk abut the change identification, assessment and approval processes that need to take place when any change of a certain magnitude takes place.

Don't fret too much over your change management procedure because there is no end of 'what bout about xyz..." issues an auditor can raise if they want to. Change management is always fertile ground for an auditor.

Top Bottom