Management Representative Requirements - ISO 9k2k Clause 5.5.2a interpretation

J

juliov

Hello quality partners, what is your take on the following:
I just finished reading in ASQ Quality Progress October's issue: "How to fail the ISO 9001 driver's test" by Paul Palmes, the article contents were right on target on the insight into what might be one of the top management most common flaws dealing with the MR (review the article in ASQ QP). It is a great article.
Question is:

Req 5.5.2a states: ("ensuring that process needed..........") by using the word "ensuring" this is implying that the MR is given authority to carry through this req. Can you offer your view of what this requirement is implying, how much authority can be given? According to Paul's article it says that some companies appoint a member of "management periphery" as an MR, this being said we should ask, what can someone do without much authority, and also, it appears that most companies don't understand this req too well, or they take it too lightly...Look forward to your responses,

Thanks,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: ISO 9k2k 5.5.2a interpretation.....

Hello quality partners, what is your take on the following:
I just finished reading in ASQ Quality Progress October's issue: "How to fail the ISO 9001 driver's test" by Paul Palmes, the article contents were right on target on the insight into what might be one of the top management most common flaws dealing with the MR (review the article in ASQ QP). It is a great article.
Question is:

Req 5.5.2a states: ("ensuring that process needed..........") by using the word "ensuring" this is implying that the MR is given authority to carry through this req. Can you offer your view of what this requirement is implying, how much authority can be given? According to Paul's article it says that some companies appoint a member of "management periphery" as an MR, this being said we should ask, what can someone do without much authority, and also, it appears that most companies don't understand this req too well, or they take it too lightly...Look forward to your responses,

Thanks,
I would interpret that paragraph as: "the authority to ensure that the processes critical to the organization are documented." Which could mean procedures or work instructions.

Could you post an excerpt from the article for information?

J

juliov

Thanks for the input, here is an brief excerpt:

"The MR is supposed to be a member of management. In reality, however, this assignment is often delegated to a person working at the periphery of true top level management. This decision often results from misconception, arrogance, indifference or the sadly appropriate conclusion that somehow executive management has neither the time nor the contact with operations to effectively oversee the audit. Choosing a novice—in disregard of the remaining requirements of ISO 9001’s section 5.5.2 calling for real authority to “establish, implement, maintain and report on progress”—is a recipe for remorse.

thus, how can the above be effectively implemented...

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator

I would interpret that paragraph as: "the authority to ensure that the processes critical to the organization are documented." Which could mean procedures or work instructions.

Could you post an excerpt from the article for information?
The article is available on the ASQ site. Can't recall if you have to be a subscribing member to read it though and rather than violate some copyright laws, I'll let some other ASQ member with more knowledge step up here.

"...documented." :nope: How about established, implemented and maintained? Documented only where necessary.

That being said, the Management Representative should have the authority to establish, implement and maintain (heck, let's tack on improve) the Quality Management System. Better yet, the Management Rep will coordinate and champion these activies, while letting the actual users of the system do the actual work.

The problem arises in selecting someone who is both capable and competent to do the job. Not to slam our more junior members, but implementing a system is extremely difficult and confusing for people with no experience and yet there are organizations who feel that someone straight out of school should be able to do just that.

When they succeed, my concern is that they have deveoped a system for the piece of paper on the wall...not one which will actually add value to the organization.

When they fail, my concern is that the lose faith in the tools and methodologies which exist to truly help an organization.

It is impossible to blame any one person for the results of a failed audit. Miscommunication and misunderstandings are prevalent at all levels.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

"The MR is supposed to be a member of management.
It really doesn't say that the MR has to be part of management only the authority to present information related to the QMS, but not responsible for the QMS.

In reality, however, this assignment is often delegated
to a person working at the periphery of true top level management. This decision often results from misconception, arrogance, indifference or the
sadly appropriate conclusion that somehow executive management has neither the time nor the contact with operations to effectively oversee the audit.
That would depend on how top management feels about improving their Business structure.

Choosing a novice—in disregard of the remaining requirements of ISO 9001’s section 5.5.2 calling for real authority to “establish, implement, maintain and report on progress”—is a recipe for remorse.

Again, this depends on the attitude/understanding of the Top Management.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

It seems that the problem might be that "member of management" isn't properly defined, and allows for a tautological argument, that being that the person appointed as MR is, by merit of the appointment alone, a member of management, "irrespective of other responsibilities."

Failure to delegate responsibility and authority is the prime failing of most registered systems.

J

juliov

Thanks. Let's hear from the MR's out in the quality field to tell us their view of 5.5.2a.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin

"The MR is supposed to be a member of management. In reality, however, this assignment is often delegated to a person working at the periphery of true top level management. This decision often results from misconception, arrogance, indifference or the sadly appropriate conclusion that somehow executive management has neither the time nor the contact with operations to effectively oversee the audit. Choosing a novice—in disregard of the remaining requirements of ISO 9001’s section 5.5.2 calling for real authority to “establish, implement, maintain and report on progress”—is a recipe for remorse.

A member of managementn is not a "member of top management"
In fact he does not even need to be an employee
Clause 5.5.2 - RFI-027 Posted 2003-01-31
Other interpretations on ISO/TC 176's Interpretations website

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

"The MR is supposed to be a member of management. In reality, however, this assignment is often delegated to a person working at the periphery of true top level management.
Jim Wynne said:
It seems that the problem might be that "member of management" isn't properly defined, and allows for a tautological argument, that being that the person appointed as MR is, by merit of the appointment alone, a member of management, "irrespective of other responsibilities."

Failure to delegate responsibility and authority is the prime failing of most registered systems.
This is what happened to me at the first company that made me the MR. I ran the CMM and I ran the inspection room - but I was not the Quality Manager. When I could not get anything accomplished and asked to go back to the inspection room and my CMM I was told that they had already replaced me and they didn't need two people in there. I quit as soon as I found another job.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Changes in ISO9001:2015 to the requirements for a management representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Management Representative Requirements and Responsibilities Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Management Representative Requirements - ISO 9001 - 5.5.2 Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W MR (Management Representative) Requirements and Responsibilites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J What are the Requirements for Management Representative? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Responsibility and Document Management Requirements for Management Representative IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Management Representative ensures the promotion of awareness of customer requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Can a CEO be the management representative AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J Management Representative and PRRC (Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
L ISO 13485 5.5.2 - Can a consultant be our Management Representative ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Who is the Management Representative in my company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S API Spec Q1 - How to define Management Representative competency for QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
S Is management representative a temporary post or a job title Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
S Management representative transition checklist IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
J AS9100D Management Representative AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
P How to identify the Management Representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Audit of Management Representative Activities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
S Quality Management Representative confusions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
L Who should be appointed as the Management Representative? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
C AS9100 Management Representative - Can it be an outsider? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Is a Management Representative still needed for ISO 13485:2015? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Difference between being a Management Representative and being a Lead Quality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Management Representative is an Accountant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
T ISO 9001:2008 Management Representative and other Management Staff ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
x-files Matrix for: Established, implemented, maintained (5.5.2 Management Representative) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Do I need to notify the FDA of Management Representative changes? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
K Management Representative Responsibilities for Multiple Standards Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
R Distinction between Management Representative vs. Quality Manager Responsibilities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
eternal_atlas Audit of Management Representative Functions (ISO 9001 & OHSAS 18001) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
A Management Representative and Information Security Officer for ISO27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
M Is Management Representative a loose cannon or am I unnecessarily concerned? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
G Management Representative as Lead Auditor within a Company Internal Auditing 6
T Management Representative - Member of Management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
K Selection Criteria for choosing a Management Representative for QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
P Can one Management Representative operate between two sister firms ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 55
P Level of Management Representative in Organization Chart Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 6
P Level of Management Representative in an Organization Chart Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
M New QMR (Quality Management Representative) in need of advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Is a Quality Representative (Management Representative) Designee Required? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 22
K Management Representative is NOT a member of Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 246
K More than One Management Representative? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q Quality Management Representative - Does the QMR HAVE to be a member of management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S Who does the Management Representative Report To? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
S Work as a QMR (Quality Management Representative) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
B Small Companies and the ISO 9001 Management Representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
B Management Representative Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
E AS9100 - Is the Management Representative a Top Manager? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
N Management Representative - Specific Training Required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 46
A MR (Management Representative) also doing Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 27
C Can an MR (Management Representative) be a Document Controller as well? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12