Management Representative Responsibilities for Multiple Standards

K

KCIPOH

Hello Cove members,

For a Management Representative in a company who are ISO9001 and ISO14001 certified and intend to go for ISO/TS16949 certification because of customer requirement, what is the main pre-requisites and elements for the MR to prepare himself for this standard? any major differences in the ISO/TS16949 standard compare to the other 2 standards?

Thank You and please advice for any idea :)

P

Popeos

Re: ISO/TS16949 Certification

Hello KCIPOH

ISO TS 16949 is based on ISO 9001 and is more automotive specific. There are requirements on how to manage an automotive project, use of a control plan and so on.
TS stands for Technical Specification.

Basically, my first advice would be "read the standard", or "RTFM"

Theoretically, it is a big step to move form 9001 to 16949, though the spirit is the same

Popeos

Last edited by a moderator:

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hello Cove members,

For a Management Representative in a company who are ISO9001 and ISO14001 certified and intend to go for ISO/TS16949 certification because of customer requirement, what is the main pre-requisites and elements for the MR to prepare himself for this standard? any major differences in the ISO/TS16949 standard compare to the other 2 standards?

Thank You and please advice for any idea :)

Hi KCIPOH,
as to mgmt representative the requirements of ISO TS are the same of the ISO 9001.
Check clause 5.5.2 of the standard.
The additional requirement of ISO TS is 5.5.2.1 related to Customer representative.
Top mgmt shall appoint designated personnel to meet all the requirement of this clause. The standard deals with "designated personnel" for customer representative, so figures could also be more than one. It is mgmt decision for this.
Mgmt reporesentative of ISO 9001 and Customer representative of ISO TS could be the same person or different ones. Also for this , it is up to your top mgmt decision.
In my working experience, I have seen both solutions. My suggestion ( only my idea based ) is better to have two different figure to fulfill the responsibilities reported in the clauses.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

K

KCIPOH

Hello Popeos and qusys,

Thank you for both your inputs. So, from qusys inputs, there's a specific requirements under 5.5.2.1 for Customer Representative, may i know what is the responsibilities of this designation and what are the elements that distinguish it from the Management Representative?

More inputs are welcome :)

qusys

Hello Popeos and qusys,

Thank you for both your inputs. So, from qusys inputs, there's a specific requirements under 5.5.2.1 for Customer Representative, may i know what is the responsibilities of this designation and what are the elements that distinguish it from the Management Representative?

More inputs are welcome :)

Customer representative is personnel with responsibility and authority to assure that the customer requirements are taken into consideration .
This includes: the selection of the special characteristics, the definition of the quality objectives and related training, the development of the corrective and preventive actions, the design and the development of the product.
The difference with the figure of the Management representative is that this latter figure is more related to the QMS processes management, refer to the top management of the QMS processes results and assure the awareness of the customer requirement all over the organization, while the former is more related to the product/process. For instance he/she could assure that special characteristics are reported in product/process FMEA of the organization.
Besides, as per 5.5.2 of ISO 9001 the Mgmt representative shall be a component of top mgmt structure itself, that , irrespective of his/her own responsibility, shall have the above responsibilities and authority, while this requirement is not requested for Customer representative ( check clause 5.5.2.1 of ISO TS) .
Hope this helps
:bigwave:

S

samsung

In my working experience, I have seen both solutions. My suggestion (only my idea based) is better to have two different figure to fulfill the responsibilities reported in the clauses.

:agree1: So far as an MR for EMS matters, it's better to appoint a specific person with specific knowledge (technical/administrative/legal) required to understand and manage the environmental issues.

Clause 4.4.1 prescribes:
The organization's top management shall appoint a specific management representative(s) who, irrespective of other responsibilities, shall have defined roles, responsibilities and authority for..............

qusys

:agree1: So far as an MR for EMS matters, it's better to appoint a specific person with specific knowledge (technical/administrative/legal) required to understand and manage the environmental issues.

Clause 4.4.1 prescribes:

Agree with you samsung, but the original post made reference to specific figures for QMS under the ISO 9001 and ISO TS. The clauses where they are recalled are strictly pertinent to quality matters.

S

samsung

Agree with you samsung, but the original post made reference to specific figures for QMS under the ISO 9001 and ISO TS. The clauses where they are recalled are strictly pertinent to quality matters.

My point was in reference to the last part of OP's query "any major differences in the ISO/TS16949 standard compare to the other 2 standards?" which (other 2) I presumed to be 9001 & 14001 as referred in the opening post.

qusys

My point was in reference to the last part of OP's query "any major differences in the ISO/TS16949 standard compare to the other 2 standards?" which (other 2) I presumed to be 9001 & 14001 as referred in the opening post.

Thanks, samsung, I see your point and you are right.
I have checked the OP of KCIPOH and we should know info from him.

Clearly I saw only differences between ISO 9001 and ISO TS because ISO 14001 has a different scope from QMS, looking only at quality perspective:bigwave:

K

KCIPOH

Hello Cove members,

Really Thank you for your inputs and sharing, i get much better picture now.

Just another thought from me, as Samsung refer to sub-Clause 4.4.1, is it necessary to appoint another person as MR for EMS or one MR is sufficient for all 3 standards?

Thank You :)

Top Bottom