SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Management Review does not highlight Internal Audit Finding - Root Cause Analysis

6thsense

Involved In Discussions
Covers,

Had this finding from a recent audit:

"Minutes of the management review meeting held on 19 August 2009 does not highlight the outstanding nonconformity 009/10 from the internal audit held in Feb 2009 under status of preventive and corrective actions."

My RCA points to poor communication practices.

Any other ideas?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Root Cause Analysis Help

Covers,

"Minutes of the management review meeting held on 19 August 2009 does not highlight the outstanding nonconformity 009/10 from the internal audit held in Feb 2009 under status of preventive and corrective actions."

Any other ideas?
You could continue by asking: "Why do poor communication practices exist?"

Also, look for patterns of neglect in the CA/PA process.

Stijloor.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Root Cause Analysis Help

You should go into deep untill to fix root cause...
In the practice, were the results of the audits ( internal/esternal) evaluated as one of the inputs of the management review?
Did the management forget or have not time enough for this issue or was it only a problem of recording in a minute of the meeting?
Did the auditor check if this was a real imput to the process of management review or merely a question of missing registration with written words?

Covers,

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Covers,

Any other ideas?
I think this is a poorly written nonconfomity. The standards do not require that outstanding nonconformities be highlighted. It requires that the "results of audits" and the "status of CA/PAs" be inputs for review. The standards leave a great deal of leeway for the organizations to decide how to act on those inputs. If however your internal procedure defines that you must highlight them, then you made it a requirement. Otherwise, the auditor is overreaching and should clarify the requirement and nonconformity.

Indeed, Helmut. Given that there may be an English language use issue to consider, this NC is weak at best.

I wouldn't go overboard with root cause before we understand what the nc was about. Apart from other reasons, management often 'overlook' an nc simply because it's nothing they understand or get excited about......

Please post the nc that was not considered in the management review and we can see what's going on!

The external auditor needs to dig into the situation further (and report what they've found) to have a value-added findings here.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Covers,

Any other ideas?
Can you tell us against what clause of the standard it was written?

Is it a standard practice for your company to "highlight" audit results?

If it is a true N/C, you should dig deeper than "communication practices", which is really vague. Investigate how the data for the M/R is gathered, presented and summarized in the minutes. Also take a look at your M/R procedure to see if it is too detailed (you can do more than the standard, but it is not a requirement).

M

Migre

Covers,

Any other ideas?

For me there are 2 potential issues here:

1) The detail within your management review procedure. Does it state that every nonconformity (whether outstanding or otherwise) be reviewed? If so, then the finding would appear to be valid (despite this being a seemingly unusual inclusion within the procedure). If not, the finding would appear to be harsh (unless the nonconformity is of a severe nature and would require review despite what your procedure states).

2) The non-conformance itself. Is it outstanding due to a valid reason (i.e. a lengthy period of time is needed to resolve the issue) or has it simply been lost in the system and forgotten about? If the latter, you need to determine why by carrying out the root cause analysis suggested elsewhere in this topic.

Which is the real issue for you here? An overtly strict/detailed management review procedure, an over-zealous auditor or the discovery of a genuine issue which you need to get to the bottom of?

P

prototyper

What do your procedures say about audit non conformance closure?
A non conformance still open after 6 months seems excessive. If this happens regularly, maybe there should be closer scrutiny of audits during management review. :2cents:

Big Jim

Super Moderator
I think this is a poorly written nonconfomity. The standards do not require that outstanding nonconformities be highlighted. It requires that the "results of audits" and the "status of CA/PAs" be inputs for review. The standards leave a great deal of leeway for the organizations to decide how to act on those inputs. If however your internal procedure defines that you must highlight them, then you made it a requirement. Otherwise, the auditor is overreaching and should clarify the requirement and nonconformity.
I absolutely agree. This auditor is making up his own rules.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
We don't even know what "highlight" means in this context, and use of that word might be the result of translation from another language. I think that if there is no evidence that the CA in question was a part of input to the meeting, or was and there's no record of it being reviewed, there could be a problem. I agree that the OP should backtrack and look at the requirements before formalizing anything. It could be that while there was no requirement for the CA to be reviewed (or "highlighted," whatever that means), it should have been, so maybe something can be improved.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Does Management Review need to be a Formal Meeting? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
A Who does all the talking at YOUR 'Management Review'? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 24
N Does anyone have a combined QMS and EMS management review agenda? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
C Does anyone have a Powerpoint template for Management Review? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 25
S Risk Management Review ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
G Management Review (integrated system) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
M Management review check-list Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
S Management Review (9.3) - Management Review Minutes/Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
S Has anybody done IMS - Management Review Meeting ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
T Management review meeting workflow ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
C Management Review Agenda Management Review Meetings and related Processes 20
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
J ISO 9001:2015 Small Operation Management Review General Auditing Discussions 6
W ISO 9001:2015 Management Review Input Template wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
G ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Content and Frequency Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
S ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - MR (Management Review) - Adequacy of resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q How to run a Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
S List of requirements for Management Review in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
B How to comply with IATF 16949:2016 9.3.2.1k - Management review IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E Template of a Management Review Agenda or Report in compliance with ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M FDA News USFDA Final Report – MDUFA IV Independent Assessment of FDA’s Device Review Process Management Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R ISO 9001:2015 9.3 - Required inputs to the management review - Audit Nonconformance Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
T Difference between "data analysis" and "management review" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J 3 Questions about Management Review - ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
W Can 2 different sites under different Quality System have a common management review? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Trying to explain some of the Management Review Inputs (AS9100D) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
W IATF 16949 Clause 6.1.1 - My first Major NCR (Management Review) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 57
H ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 9.3.1 - General Director doesn't participate in Management Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Tagin Management Review - How elaborate should Management Review be? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 14
R University Research Project - Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
G ISO 9001:2015 - Management Review 9.3.2 c) 5) - Monitoring and Measurement Results ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B IATF 16949 Clause 9.3.2.1 - Management Review Inputs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B IATF 16949 Cl. 9.3.2.1 - Management Review Inputs - Process Effectiveness and Efficie IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
A How to satisfy the "Interested Party" Management Review Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Z MRM (Management Review Meeting) Template for ISO 9001:2015 Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
S What defines Top Management after a Merger? Quality Management Review (9.3.1) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 1
A ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - Management Review Inputs must be Documented? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 15
S Corporate Quality Manager keeping me out of the Management Review Meeting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 28
B Global / Local Management Review - ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D What should be included in Management Review Meeting for ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
P Trending CAPA's in our Management Review Meetings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Risk Management during Contract Review AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
P How CAPA's are trended in Management Review Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
P Management Review - Performance and Product Conformity question General Auditing Discussions 7