Management Review - How elaborate should Management Review be?

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
Management review may be the most valuable tool in the ISO tool box and sadly it is usually greatly under utilized.

Just a little shift in attitude can make a big difference.

If the approach is you are doing it because it is a requirement and you are doing it just to pass an audit your wasting a very valuable resource.

Instead, remember that you are bringing the best and brightest of the company together. There is usually a wide variance in the level of knowledge and awareness of each of the topics discussed. The purpose of the gathering and the discussions is to raise the awareness of the entire group. Minimum topics are are the inputs specified in the standard.

When you complete the inputs and with the resulting heightened awareness of all of the members you have a much clearer idea of just where the company is. Now that you have a clearer idea of where you are, you are prepared to determine where you want to go from there which is the outputs or action items from management review.

All of this will result in a much better managed company.

Waste this opportunity if you wish, or take advantage of becoming a much more effective company.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Management review may be the most valuable tool in the ISO tool box and sadly it is usually greatly under utilized.

Just a little shift in attitude can make a big difference.

If the approach is you are doing it because it is a requirement and you are doing it just to pass an audit your wasting a very valuable resource.

Instead, remember that you are bringing the best and brightest of the company together. There is usually a wide variance in the level of knowledge and awareness of each of the topics discussed. The purpose of the gathering and the discussions is to raise the awareness of the entire group. Minimum topics are are the inputs specified in the standard.

When you complete the inputs and with the resulting heightened awareness of all of the members you have a much clearer idea of just where the company is. Now that you have a clearer idea of where you are, you are prepared to determine where you want to go from there which is the outputs or action items from management review.

All of this will result in a much better managed company.

Waste this opportunity if you wish, or take advantage of becoming a much more effective company.
A lot of it is size dependent. Big company with bureaucracy you're right. Small company where management is more involved day to day it can be more of an excersize. What I have found in our 20 person organization is most of it is repetitive.

normzone

While much of the exercise IS repetitive, that is largely due to the scripted nature of the requirements.

And if you are fortunate enough to work a group of with exemplary people, where each one of them always looks for ways to improve the organization, and they all do everything that is expected of them all the time and there is no need to coach or cajole them, then please tell me where to send my resume.

I work for organizations of 20 - 60 people, and they're all average humans, which means more than half of them are .... Well, George Carlin summed it up appropriately.

Big Jim

A lot of it is size dependent. Big company with bureaucracy you're right. Small company where management is more involved day to day it can be more of an excersize. What I have found in our 20 person organization is most of it is repetitive.
I have observed huge improvements from even small companies that practice this. YMMV, especially if you don't catch the vision.

jiligan

Involved In Discussions
I am prepping for management review per 13485:2016 and I am curious to know what exactly would the auditor need to see for these requirements in Management review:
c. Reporting to regulatory authorities
e. Monitoring and measurement of processes
f. Monitoring and measurement of product

Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
S Has anybody done IMS - Management Review Meeting ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
T Management review meeting workflow ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
C Management Review Agenda Management Review Meetings and related Processes 20
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
J ISO 9001:2015 Small Operation Management Review General Auditing Discussions 6
W ISO 9001:2015 Management Review Input Template wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
G ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Content and Frequency Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
S ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - MR (Management Review) - Adequacy of resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q How to run a Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
S List of requirements for Management Review in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
B How to comply with IATF 16949:2016 9.3.2.1k - Management review IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E Template of a Management Review Agenda or Report in compliance with ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M FDA News USFDA Final Report – MDUFA IV Independent Assessment of FDA’s Device Review Process Management Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R ISO 9001:2015 9.3 - Required inputs to the management review - Audit Nonconformance Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
T Difference between "data analysis" and "management review" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J 3 Questions about Management Review - ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
W Can 2 different sites under different Quality System have a common management review? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Trying to explain some of the Management Review Inputs (AS9100D) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
W IATF 16949 Clause 6.1.1 - My first Major NCR (Management Review) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 57
H ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 9.3.1 - General Director doesn't participate in Management Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R University Research Project - Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
G ISO 9001:2015 - Management Review 9.3.2 c) 5) - Monitoring and Measurement Results ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B IATF 16949 Clause 9.3.2.1 - Management Review Inputs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B IATF 16949 Cl. 9.3.2.1 - Management Review Inputs - Process Effectiveness and Efficie IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
A How to satisfy the "Interested Party" Management Review Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Z MRM (Management Review Meeting) Template for ISO 9001:2015 Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
S What defines Top Management after a Merger? Quality Management Review (9.3.1) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 1
A ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - Management Review Inputs must be Documented? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 15
S Corporate Quality Manager keeping me out of the Management Review Meeting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 28
B Global / Local Management Review - ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D What should be included in Management Review Meeting for ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
P Trending CAPA's in our Management Review Meetings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Risk Management during Contract Review AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
P How CAPA's are trended in Management Review Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
P Management Review - Performance and Product Conformity question General Auditing Discussions 7
Q Management Review - Alternative methods Management Review Meetings and related Processes 20
N Incompleted tasks from previous management review meeting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 1
N Suggestions for Management Review Presentation Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
S Quality Assurance Manager involvement in Management Review AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
B Share ideas to make Management Review more interesting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
L CB finding on Management Review Meeting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 32
H ISO 9001-2008 Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
A Management Review not conducted according to schedule Management Review Meetings and related Processes 9
D Management Review Meeting Agenda and Minutes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N How do I conduct Management Review Meetings? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 34