Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies

ISO standards that define requirements for certain types of conformity assessment bodies, i.e ISO 17020, ISO 17021-1 and ISO 17065 generally state that "reviews shall be conducted at least once a year".

Some people consider that this "once a year" frequency requirement means once in a calendar year, especially those people involved in the area of management system certification bodies. On the other hand, others interpret this requirement as it is not allowed to pass more than 12 months between two management reviews, not even a single day, since in ISO 17020 and ISO 17065 there is also another sentence "Alternatively, a complete review broken up into segments shall be completed within a 12-month time frame".

Is there any (official) interpretation of the meaning of the phrase "once a year"?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Who are you talking about when it comes to management review, a certificated organization or a certification body?

Who are you talking about when it comes to management review, a certificated organization or a certification body?
I am talking about management review in an accredited conformity assessment body, i.e. inspection body, certification body for management systems and certification body for certification of products, services and processes.

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Is there any (official) interpretation of the meaning of the phrase "once a year"?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Welcome to The Cove. I have not seen any "official interpretation" on this, but you can peruse the documents in the Accreditation Auditing Practices Group. Accreditation Body personnel visit the Cove all the time, but for the most part, are afraid of engaging in discussions here, prefer to remain as voyeurs.

Good luck.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
When interviewing top management about their reviews of the performance of their management system I would verify the reasons claimed for the sufficiency of any frequency.

Once a year or every 12 months regardless of what’s going on with the system or its stakeholders would probably amount to a nonconformity.

First, thanks to everyone for quick replies!

John, I agree completely, if I am an AB Assessor, I would also expect some rationale for the established frequency for management review. But this risk-based thinking approach, like in in ISO 17025 started explicitly from ISO 9001:2015, and ISO 17020 and ISO 17065 are older, thus more strict regarding time frames for certain activities. And AB assessors sometimes act more like compliance auditors and not conformity assessors...

My accreditation body (and I don't have a possibility to choose one, since I am in Europe), does not have a strict written policy regarding this issue, as far as I am aware, but it seems that majority of auditors tend to interpret this requirement as "once in twelve months" and sometimes CABs have problems because of that.

Sidney, thank you very much for reminding me about AAPG! But, as you said, there is no (un)official interpretation regarding this topic. Maybe initiating a formal request for interpretation through the CASCO mirror committee in our national standardization body would be a proper way, but it would last for long...

Anyway, thank you all once again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Management Review - Performance and Product Conformity question General Auditing Discussions 7
J Process Performance & Product Conformity in Management Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Management Review Meetings - Process Performance and Product Conformity Management Review Meetings and related Processes 13
M Management Review - Process Performance & Product Conformity vs. Quality Performance Management Review Meetings and related Processes 5
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
S Has anybody done IMS - Management Review Meeting ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
T Management review meeting workflow ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
C Management Review Agenda Management Review Meetings and related Processes 20
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
J ISO 9001:2015 Small Operation Management Review General Auditing Discussions 6
W ISO 9001:2015 Management Review Input Template wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
G ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Content and Frequency Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
S ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - MR (Management Review) - Adequacy of resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q How to run a Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
S List of requirements for Management Review in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
B How to comply with IATF 16949:2016 9.3.2.1k - Management review IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E Template of a Management Review Agenda or Report in compliance with ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M FDA News USFDA Final Report – MDUFA IV Independent Assessment of FDA’s Device Review Process Management Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R ISO 9001:2015 9.3 - Required inputs to the management review - Audit Nonconformance Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
T Difference between "data analysis" and "management review" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J 3 Questions about Management Review - ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
W Can 2 different sites under different Quality System have a common management review? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Trying to explain some of the Management Review Inputs (AS9100D) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
W IATF 16949 Clause 6.1.1 - My first Major NCR (Management Review) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 57
H ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 9.3.1 - General Director doesn't participate in Management Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Tagin Management Review - How elaborate should Management Review be? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 14
R University Research Project - Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
G ISO 9001:2015 - Management Review 9.3.2 c) 5) - Monitoring and Measurement Results ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B IATF 16949 Clause 9.3.2.1 - Management Review Inputs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B IATF 16949 Cl. 9.3.2.1 - Management Review Inputs - Process Effectiveness and Efficie IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
A How to satisfy the "Interested Party" Management Review Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Z MRM (Management Review Meeting) Template for ISO 9001:2015 Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
S What defines Top Management after a Merger? Quality Management Review (9.3.1) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 1
A ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - Management Review Inputs must be Documented? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 15
S Corporate Quality Manager keeping me out of the Management Review Meeting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 28
B Global / Local Management Review - ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D What should be included in Management Review Meeting for ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
P Trending CAPA's in our Management Review Meetings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Risk Management during Contract Review AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
P How CAPA's are trended in Management Review Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Q Management Review - Alternative methods Management Review Meetings and related Processes 20
N Incompleted tasks from previous management review meeting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 1
N Suggestions for Management Review Presentation Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
S Quality Assurance Manager involvement in Management Review AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
B Share ideas to make Management Review more interesting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
L CB finding on Management Review Meeting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 32
H ISO 9001-2008 Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3