Management Review Inputs ISO9001

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Ok, I took about 1 1/2 years off from Quality Management and now that I have come back I found I have forgotten some minor things: Most of the time I can re-educate myself and get back up to speed, but this one is throwing me off:

9.3.2 Management Review Inputs
C5. Monitoring and Measurement results

For some reason I keep going back that this is the same thing as quality objectives but those were addressed earlier. What am I over thinking here? What are the specifics that are monitored and measured other than the Key performance indicators/quality objectives?

Edit: Added C5 to reference proper section

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
It can include:
- KPIs/Quality objectives/Effectiveness & efficiency measures
- Customer Satisfaction survey/Index scores
- Customer Scorecards
- Supplier rating
etc.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Some suggested inputs to Management Review

Basically, top management need to see the System Manager’s report on system performance so they can make wise investment decisions:

A. What the system does well (supported by objectives met and by audit results), and
B. What the system does less than well (supported by objectives not met, audit results, feedback from employees, suppliers and customers), and
C. Upcoming challenges (technological, regulatory and market trends), and
D. Recommended system improvements (costed with expected payback).

BTW, the System Manager may be called the QA Manager, Quality Manager or Management Rep..

Ok, I took about 1 1/2 years off from Quality Management and now that I have come back I found I have forgotten some minor things: Most of the time I can re-educate myself and get back up to speed, but this one is throwing me off:

9.3.2 Management Review Inputs
C5. Monitoring and Measurement results

For some reason I keep going back that this is the same thing as quality objectives but those were addressed earlier. What am I over thinking here? What are the specifics that are monitored and measured other than the Key performance indicators/quality objectives?

Edit: Added C5 to reference proper section
You are experiencing difficulty due to a poorly written section of the standard. Some of the topics in the inputs list are redundant. I can picture that the committee members had conflicts as to how to word certain parts and what should be included and what should not be included. At the very least it has the earmarks of a compromise attempting to satisfy different factions. The inputs list certainly could and should have been written in a clearer manner.

Tagin

For each row, the item to be reviewed will have data that you should already be capturing in your QMS, so it just a matter of identifying how you do it, and using that as your review data. Separating all 9.3.2 bullets into separate rows will make it much easier to see where data is being reviewed.

Just make a sheet with 3 columns:
  • Input (these will be 9.3.2 a-f, breaking out c1 - c7 into separate rows)
  • Data Reviewed
  • Notes/Actions to take

For example for 9.3.2a, the row will be something like:
  • Status of actions from previous management reviews;
  • Task status from prior mgmt review
  • Open tasks are proceeding and on-time, etc.
For c7, it'd be something like:
  • The performance of external providers
  • Quarterly supplier reviews & SCARs issued
  • All suppliers meeting criteria except supplier #1234. This supplier was issued SCAR #2345 and the supplier is responding with their plan to correct the issue.
So, for c5, it'd be something like:
  • Monitoring and measurement results
  • Monthly KPI Reviews
  • All KPIs within range except KPI abcd. This KPI deficiency is being addressed on corrective action #9876.

Kronos147

My understanding of the standard is that it talks about what needs to be done in little bits and pieces of the text.

One reading might go like this:

"ISO 9001:2015
4.4.1 The organization shall establish, implement, maintain, and continually improve a quality management system, including the processes needed and their interactions, in accordance with the requirements of this International Standard.

The organization shall determine the processes needed..., and shall:...
c. determine and apply the criteria and methods (including monitoring, measurements and related performance indicators) needed to ensure the effective operation and control of these processes;...

9. PERFORMANCE EVALUATION
9.1 Monitoring, Measurement, Analysis, and Evaluation
9.1.1 General
The organization shall determine:
a. what needs to be monitored and measured;...

9.1.3 Analysis and Evaluation
The organization shall analyze and evaluate appropriate data and information arising from monitoring and measurement.

The results of analysis shall be used to evaluate:
a. conformity of products and services;
b. the degree of customer satisfaction;
c. the performance and effectiveness of the quality management system;
d. if planning has been implemented effectively;
e. the effectiveness of actions taken to address risks and opportunities;
f. the performance of external providers;..."

There are specific things you need to look at including processes metrics, customer satisfaction, conformity of product\service (DPPM?), External Suppliers, but beyond that, 9.1.1 says you determine what needs to be looked at beyond that, or which of your processes you need to measure, and which you don't.

I would also remind all that many of our customer demand performance to on time delivery goals. If this is true, the organization needs to measure on time delivery then, as well.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
Customers are your harshest critics and their feedback is critical. As much as negative feedback needs to be vetted and addressed, positive feedback needs to be understood and preserved.

Customers are also internal. Design, production, shipping receiving, sales and marketing. purchasing and accounting.

From the standard

The process approach involves the systematic definition and management of processes, and their interactions, so as to achieve the intended results in accordance with the quality policy and strategic direction of the organization. Management of the processes and the system as a whole can be achieved using the PDCA cycle (see 0.3.2) with an overall focus on risk-based thinking (see 0.3.3) aimed at taking advantage of opportunities and preventing undesirable results.

Management review should provide a raw unfiltered view of the company's performance. Its like a performance review for the company.

I would add a part of MR to COVID-19. Never before have I experienced a 22-month long global crisis that has impacted every company from purchasing, sales, production, shipping, employee retention, and training. We are post-vaccine for almost 12 months and it's still a major impact force. Are your objectives realistic with the current global perspective? COVID-19 and its persistence is a threat to your company most likely.

Customers are also internal. Design said:
The standard doesn't say anything about internal customers so be careful of this approach. It can be useful but there are no shalls attached.

The PDCA cycles (also known as the Deming Wheel) is a wonderful tool, but again be careful. The shalls don't start until Section 4 and this is in Section 3.

My understanding of the standard is that it talks about what needs to be done in little bits and pieces of the text.

One reading might go like this:

"ISO 9001:2015
4.4.1 The organization shall establish, implement, maintain, and continually improve a quality management system, including the processes needed and their interactions, in accordance with the requirements of this International Standard.

The organization shall determine the processes needed..., and shall:...
c. determine and apply the criteria and methods (including monitoring, measurements and related performance indicators) needed to ensure the effective operation and control of these processes;...

9. PERFORMANCE EVALUATION
9.1 Monitoring, Measurement, Analysis, and Evaluation
9.1.1 General
The organization shall determine:
a. what needs to be monitored and measured;...

9.1.3 Analysis and Evaluation
The organization shall analyze and evaluate appropriate data and information arising from monitoring and measurement.

The results of analysis shall be used to evaluate:
a. conformity of products and services;
b. the degree of customer satisfaction;
c. the performance and effectiveness of the quality management system;
d. if planning has been implemented effectively;
e. the effectiveness of actions taken to address risks and opportunities;
f. the performance of external providers;..."

There are specific things you need to look at including processes metrics, customer satisfaction, conformity of product\service (DPPM?), External Suppliers, but beyond that, 9.1.1 says you determine what needs to be looked at beyond that, or which of your processes you need to measure, and which you don't.

I would also remind all that many of our customer demand performance to on time delivery goals. If this is true, the organization needs to measure on time delivery then, as well.

It is my belief that you can easily use on-time delivery to fulfill 9.1.3 c. It is one of the best indicators of how the organizations is performing overall.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 14
R ISO 9001:2015 9.3 - Required inputs to the management review - Audit Nonconformance Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
I Trying to explain some of the Management Review Inputs (AS9100D) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
B IATF 16949 Clause 9.3.2.1 - Management Review Inputs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B IATF 16949 Cl. 9.3.2.1 - Management Review Inputs - Process Effectiveness and Efficie IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
armani ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - Management Review Inputs must be Documented? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 15
C Required Management Review Inputs List Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
S AS9110B ? Product Safety Inputs to Management Review AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q Management Review Inputs - Production Site under a Corporate Certification Scheme Management Review Meetings and related Processes 9
C ISO 17025 Testing Laboratory Management Review Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
M Management Review Inputs (Process Performance) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
O Management Review Inputs and Outputs - AS9100 Registration Audit Requirements Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
G MRM (Management Review) Inputs Sheet Format for a Software Development Company Management Review Meetings and related Processes 1
L Management Review Inputs and Outputs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Record of Inputs to Management Review Meeting (MRM) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 15
F Need help in IMS management review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
S Risk Management Review ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
G Management Review (integrated system) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 21
M Management review check-list Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
S Management Review (9.3) - Management Review Minutes/Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
S Has anybody done IMS - Management Review Meeting ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
T Management review meeting workflow ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
C Management Review Agenda Management Review Meetings and related Processes 20
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 32
J ISO 9001:2015 Small Operation Management Review General Auditing Discussions 6
W ISO 9001:2015 Management Review Input Template wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
G ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Content and Frequency Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
S ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - MR (Management Review) - Adequacy of resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q How to run a Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
S List of requirements for Management Review in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
B How to comply with IATF 16949:2016 9.3.2.1k - Management review IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E Template of a Management Review Agenda or Report in compliance with ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M FDA News USFDA Final Report – MDUFA IV Independent Assessment of FDA’s Device Review Process Management Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Difference between "data analysis" and "management review" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J 3 Questions about Management Review - ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
W Can 2 different sites under different Quality System have a common management review? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
W IATF 16949 Clause 6.1.1 - My first Major NCR (Management Review) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 57
H ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 9.3.1 - General Director doesn't participate in Management Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Tagin Management Review - How elaborate should Management Review be? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 14
R University Research Project - Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
G ISO 9001:2015 - Management Review 9.3.2 c) 5) - Monitoring and Measurement Results ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A How to satisfy the "Interested Party" Management Review Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Z MRM (Management Review Meeting) Template for ISO 9001:2015 Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
S What defines Top Management after a Merger? Quality Management Review (9.3.1) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 1
S Corporate Quality Manager keeping me out of the Management Review Meeting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 28