Management Review: "Powerful Tool" (ISO 9004 5.6.3) or Redundant Piece of Paper?

I believe that management review is the powerful tool for improvemnent organisation!

• Yes! This is main strategic planning tool in our organisation!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No! One A4 sheet is enough for that redundant but mandatory piece of paper!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • It could be if prepared correctly, but our top management says it has more important things to do...

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I would rather say [please post the answer below]

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M

MD

Managemnt review: "powerful tool" (ISO 9004 5.6.3) or redundant piece of paper?

Any good management review/ management review procedure examples or ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scott

Management Review

I really believe that Management Review is a daily, ongoing activity conducted by all levels of management in any company. To say that Top Management is going to sit down with everyone specifically to meet an 9000 requirement does nothing for us.

Every meeting, phone call, memo, etc. is a review of what is going on in the organization. We used to have a monthly Corrective Action Board just for this purpose but have dropped it as our top 3 managers meet every Friday, (at a minimum), to discuss the program so why duplicate effort. Especially when the CAB's were eating up 12-20 man hours with nothing to show for it but everyone shaking their heads. No one needs someone else to read a metrics slide to them.

We have asked that the managers send out an email or memo stating major topics discussed and items reviewed for records purposes as stated in the standard.

What do you think, is this going to get us in deep stuff with the registar?

R

Russ

Management Review

I have just recently been working on changing our management review to an ongoing process by way of our Intranet. I believe that if it's done right, with buyin & regular participation by all of our top management, it can be a whole lot more productive than a quarterly big meeting! Just waiting on my systems admin. to get the software up and running for me.

:bonk:

E

energy

help me

No! One A4 sheet is enough for that redundant but mandatory piece of paper!

What does this choice mean? I'd love to vote, but this option seems to reflect your thoughts about an A4, whatever that is.
Please explain it to me so even I can understand.:rolleyes:

:ko: :smokin:

D

db

Pieces of paper

energy, A4 is a paper size used just about everywhere but here.

As far as MR goes, If conducted properly, it can save an organization. If not, it can destroy an organization. The requirement for MR is so that management is continuously engaged in the process and the QMS. If MRs are being performed solely to meet the standard, the organization is quite pitiful!
I did not vote, because I really did not like any of the choices.

M

MrPhish

Intranet Method

I am moving in the same direction as Russ. In the not too distant past the Man. Review was a sit down meeting where the top management listened to the presentation given by the Man. Rep and maybe a few decisions were made. A report was prepared to meet the requirement and act as an action item list and the members went back to their "regular jobs".

The new method is to use the Intranet. I have set up an electronic discusion board (using MS Share Point - Russ) where issues can be posted by anybody ... not just the overworked Man. Rep. This allows for a constant "virtual meeting" to be conducted over time (we break up data into quarterly sessions). In addition, any separate meeting minutes from any face to face type meetings are deposited to the site. All of the text is automatically captured in a central location by the software. This makes it easy to respond to the requirements of clause 5.6. A quarterly wrap up document is circulated and reviewed by all top management members and final approved by the CEO. Action items are posted, monitored and resolved. So far this new method is working very well.

R

Russ

Intranet Mg. Review

MrPhish-
I can sure use any details you would care to provide about the day to day workings of your virtual review process. I really want to make this work!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Pieces of paper

db said:

If conducted properly, it can save an organization. If not, it can destroy an organization. The requirement for MR is so that management is continuously engaged in the process and the QMS. If MRs are being performed solely to meet the standard, the organization is quite pitiful!
I did not vote, because I really did not like any of the choices.
I agree, but what I often find is a company is already addressing the necessary issues in one or more meetings anyway. Of course, responding from my implementation consultant's eyes.

BTW -- If anyone would like an additional option in a posted poll, let me know specifically what you want and I'll add it.

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Periodic Review

Yes we have information about the quality management system floating around the business on an hour by hour basis. The purpose of the Management Review is, I believe, to take a step back from the day to day business and say "Is the system broke and do we have to fix it". Therefore it should be a periodic meeting / review of data with an agenda and actions resulting.

The frequency of the meeting depends on how quickly the market / business environment is changing. For most traditional organizations annually should be suitable. In times of great change the organization can always have an Extraordinary Meeting.

My opinion is that if conducted in the right spirit as a critique of the system effectiveness it is a very powerful tool. If it is a tick in the box to keep a certificate then yopu get what you deserve!

M

Michael T

Re: Periodic Review

Paul Simpson said:

Yes we have information about the quality management system floating around the business on an hour by hour basis. The purpose of the Management Review is, I believe, to take a step back from the day to day business and say "Is the system broke and do we have to fix it". Therefore it should be a periodic meeting / review of data with an agenda and actions resulting.

The frequency of the meeting depends on how quickly the market / business environment is changing. For most traditional organizations annually should be suitable. In times of great change the organization can always have an Extraordinary Meeting.

My opinion is that if conducted in the right spirit as a critique of the system effectiveness it is a very powerful tool. If it is a tick in the box to keep a certificate then yopu get what you deserve!

IMHO Paul, you are RIGHT on the money. I believe that MR should be used for management to foster the "long term perspective" with respect to the QMS and the overall quality culture of the organization. Without this, management tends to be stuck in the day-to-day and looses sight of the grand scheme of things.

Cheers!!!

Top Bottom