Management Team "Actions" vs. CAPA (Corrective Actions)

M

mdbincincy

At various levels of our organization, management team tracks action items from various meetings. Typically these are staff meetings or project meetings.

Recently, an ISO 9001 based nonconformity was raised that these action items are not classified and documented as corrective actions or preventive actions.

I'm really struggling with this finding. We have a formal CAPA system related to audit findings, customer complaints, and process improvement inputs, but I cannot fathom subjecting every action - mostly tasks, really - to the CAPA system. Similarly, I cannot see having every manager in the organization - frontline to senior management - classifying each and every item they not as a follow up during the course of conducting all staff and project meetings. It feels like "ISO for the sake of ISO" or even worse...

Any thoughts on how to approach this in a value adding manner?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
At various levels of our organization, management team tracks action items from various meetings. Typically these are staff meetings or project meetings.

Recently, an ISO 9001 based nonconformity was raised that these action items are not classified and documented as corrective actions or preventive actions.

I'm really struggling with this finding. We have a formal CAPA system related to audit findings, customer complaints, and process improvement inputs, but I cannot fathom subjecting every action - mostly tasks, really - to the CAPA system. Similarly, I cannot see having every manager in the organization - frontline to senior management - classifying each and every item they not as a follow up during the course of conducting all staff and project meetings. It feels like "ISO for the sake of ISO" or even worse...

Thanks!
If the actions/tasks are being implemented to support existing items in the CAPA system, I'd suggest ensuring the meeting minutes show the link. Example - "Develop training manual for activity XXX (refer to CAPA# 123 for additional information)". And CAPA# 123 can be updated by referencing the meeting that was held as a means to demonstrate forward movement.

If, however, the action/task is a stand-alone activity that may impact the QMS, then entering it into the CAPA is a nice idea. In a previous life, our teams would do this and the meeting minutes would capture "CAPA#456 initiated" as a way to address an identified concern.

Recently, an ISO 9001 based nonconformity was raised ~~~~
What is this ... ?
ISO9001 based nonconformity :rolleyes:
Please do not look from the ISO9001 viewing glasses.
A nonconformity is a nonconformity, and if you have a management team tracking down such areas for action, be happy that a methodology is in place for CAPA identification.
Simply map this into your CAPA process and facilitate how such management tracking can be established as a meaningful CAPA that is effective to your organization and then how they can be recorded.
Look at and into your organization working. Map such good processes to the requirements of the ISO9001 standard.
:agree:
~~ Good Luck ~~

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Thanks!
What was the source of the finding? If "action items" are just stuff people need to do as a result of the meeting discussion, there shouldn't be any need to classify them as corrective or preventive actions. There might be a preventive action nugget here or there that's worth recording, but in general plain ol' meeting minutes should necessarily trigger CA or PA.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

Thanks!
I am curious to see the actual write up and what clause. Was it written against the standard or your internal procedure? If the latter, you should consider rewriting / clarifying the internal procedure.

ISO 9001 says this:

"Corrective actions shall be appropriate to the effects of the nonconformities encountered"

It does not say any where in the standard that you must document C/A in a CAPA system. Your procedure may say this.

M

Motorhead

I am also interested to see the basis for the alleged nonconformance. Every action your company takes does not necessarily qualify as a CAR or PAR. It's up to you to decide which do. Who decided this was an "ISO9001 based nonconformity", and why?

M

mdbincincy

The basis for the nonconformities cites has been clauses 8.5.2 and 8.5.3. Our internal process classifies that risk and impact determination drives the tracking as formal CAPA.

The evidence along with the requirements cited is:
Corrective and preventive actions are recorded in an action table at the end of weekly meeting minutes; however root cause has not been recorded and the items have not been differentiated and recorded as corrective or preventive.

What has been observed and referenced as evidence is the staff meetings of several teams across the organization. The actions vary greatly in significance - from the day-to-day to long-term cross-team items. Many actions are simply work tracking items. The team status varies significantly across the sample with some consisting of mid-management and other on the front-lines.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Hi mdbinincy,

you are making us guess. What are the "actions" ?

Are they "Determine root cause for late shipment to automotive supplier resulting in line shutdown" or are they "Determine the number of tables to rent for the company picnic" ?

You'll see a quite different reaction here depending on which "actions" you are talking about. They are both actions items that can result from management meetings...one belongs in your CAPA system, the other one doesn't.

M

Motorhead

I also suspect there's more to the story we don't yet know. Are all of your CAR/PAR's recorded only as action items in your meeting minutes? Or are CAR/PAR's recorded somewhere else? If only in meeting minutes, how do you distinguish CARs from PARs from normal everyday tasks?

M

mdbincincy

Thanks for the reply!

Anything that is related to a line shutdown would drive CAPA which would require RCA. Risk / impact assessment drives inclusion in the CAPA system. Highest risk classification requires 8D.

Most of the items are a little more serious than tables for the company picnic, but they quite often look like "Sam talk to Ted to assure planning for changeover", "Bill to report on project status in two weeks" or "Assure everyone has completed health and safety training". I'm struggling with adding any extra overhead to these sorts of things. I really like the fact they are tracked in the action list and that seems more than sufficient.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Risk Management Team IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
T ISO 9001:2015 Training for Management Team in NM - Seeking Suggestions and Providers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T QMR, EMR, OHSASMR should be manager or management team? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
E Internal Audit for Project Management Team - Construction Industry Internal Auditing 8
O QMS (Quality Management Systems) Team Structure & Responsibilities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
C 5S team and startup - What do I need from Management? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 18
S Develop and Train Project Management Team in Effective APQP Usage APQP and PPAP 5
N Quality Objectives for a Management Team that is Sales Orientated IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
T TQM (Total Quality Management) Team Close Out Process Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
G Auditing Top management: 6.3 ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
qualprod Minimize tomention other positions to ease the QMS management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H Management review IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO/NP TS 17012 - Guidelines for use of remote methods in conducting audits of management systems Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
T What is a Quality Management System? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
M Intended Use vs Actual Use and Scope of Risk Management EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R Configuration Management - Identifying Documentation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
J Outsourced Purchasing for Contract Manufacturing vs more typical/simple Supplier Management ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S IDCB 0129/0160 Clinical Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
J How to evaluate the effectiveness of management review? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Leadership non-conformity, Top Management's involvement in Problem Solving IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News IATF Performance Complaint Management System (IATF CMS) within the IATF Database IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Risk Management File - Procedure Packs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
G Software change management Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
R 5S for Civil Road Construction Work Sites and Fleet Management Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
G Risk Management for IEC 60601-1 and IEC 60601-1-2 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
PQ Systems Recipe for Success! 10 Ingredients for a Healthy Gage Management System Using GAGEpack Software 0
S Procedures and BPF about management of psychotropic pharmaceutical waste Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Do you have separate clinical risk management group or experts in your manufactures? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Q Management Review ISO 9001-2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
RoxaneB Workforce Management calculator Service Industry Specific Topics 6
Robinson A Management Development and Leadership Skills General Information Resources 4
M Quality Management-ISO 9001:2015 General Auditing Discussions 1
H Project management for automotive parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q BMW Supplied Parts Quality Management -> Is there any new supplier quality manual? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
P AS9100 and CAMO - Continuing Airworthiness Management Organization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
F Need help in IMS management review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
Sidney Vianna ISO Practical Guide on ISO 31000:2018 - Risk Management Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
PQ Systems Best Practices In Gage Management Using GAGEpack Software 0
N API Q1, Management of Change & Document Change Request Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
M Management Review Inputs ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Project management Document. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C Change Management Process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
T Risk Assessment and Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
O Quality Management System Implementation framework and Gap analysis checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
R Looking for an efficient contract management solution Contract Review Process 1
T Quality Management System Q1 and Q2 Interpretations Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO/CD 7101 Health Care Quality Management System Standard Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 0
F So my quality management position is being marginalized by my job. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
J HELP NEEDED ! Risk Management Exercise ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
J Incomplete Management Reviews ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4