Management Tool - Does each of them have their STRENGTH and WEAKNESSES?

B

berseak

Someone said All management tool is OK. But when implementation to company. The company can't capture it.

I disagree with this.

I think each management tool have STRENGTH and WEAKNESS when you choose tool for implement to company. you will know it for this.

Ex. ISO9001 for Quality, TPM for Machine etc.

Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I think each management tool have STRENGTH and WEAKNESS when you choose tool for implement to company.
I may have misinterpreted the question here, so feel free to correct me if I am moving in the wrong direction, but yes: Any tool, from a hammer to a Space Shuttle, or indeed a management tool or system, has its inherent strengths and weaknesses. They also need to be choosen on the grounds of intended use.

/Claes

harry

Super Moderator
I may have misinterpreted the question here, so feel free to correct me if I am moving in the wrong direction, but yes: Any tool, from a hammer to a Space Shuttle, or indeed a management tool or system, has its inherent strengths and weaknesses. They also need to be choosen on the grounds of intended use.

/Claes
Agree. Instead of the term strength and weaknesses, a better term to use in my opinion is 'relevance'. 5Why, 8D and fault tree analysis are all very good tools in their own right. The 'user' must have a good understanding of the tool and the situation before deciding which of the 3 is most relevant under that particular situation. If the outcome is proven in-effective, it is not because there are weaknesses in the tool but employing a wrong one.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Agree. Instead of the term strength and weaknesses, a better term to use in my opinion is 'relevance'. 5Why, 8D and fault tree analysis are all very good tools in their own right. The 'user' must have a good understanding of the tool and the situation before deciding which of the 3 is most relevant under that particular situation. If the outcome is proven in-effective, it is not because there are weaknesses in the tool but employing a wrong one.
In addition to relevance, there's also the question of execution. How many SPC implementations have failed due to lack of understanding of the "tools" and how to best apply them. The same is true of most of the other tool and strategies. They often die on the vine because of lack of management support and the absence of people who understand how to use them.

There seems to be an abiding belief that presence of the tools themselves should be enough, and it really doesn't matter whether anyone knows how to use them or not. We give people hammers, nails and wood and act surprised when they don't magically become master carpenters or worse yet, we blame the failure on the tools themselves.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
To summarize the good responses so far I will simply say the weakness is in the tools' application and execution.

In simple terms, its value is in it is how it's used.

P

pliniustheelder

The problem with any tool or system is that it can stop people from doing their own thinking; they rely on the tool to solve the problem. A hammer can after all only put nails into things soft enough to take nails or pull them out. It may in fact be the wrong tool for the job. It is still the carpenter that builds a useful product. They do this by selecting the correct tools for each situation.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
The problem with any tool or system is that it can stop people from doing their own thinking; they rely on the tool to solve the problem. A hammer can after all only put nails into things soft enough to take nails or pull them out. It may in fact be the wrong tool for the job. It is still the carpenter that builds a useful product. They do this by selecting the correct tools for each situation.
I would suspect that this may be a concern only if the user had zero exposure, training or experience using the tool. In your own example with the hammer, you finish by saying the carpenter selects the correct tool for the job; this requires knowledge, experience and common sense.

I think the risk of someone using a tool without thinking and assuming it will solve their problems for them is low. It's a tool, which is something that HELPS you accomplish a task.

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
I would suspect that this may be a concern only if the user had zero exposure, training or experience using the tool. In your own example with the hammer, you finish by saying the carpenter selects the correct tool for the job; this requires knowledge, experience and common sense.

I think the risk of someone using a tool without thinking and assuming it will solve their problems for them is low. It's a tool, which is something that HELPS you accomplish a task.
In keeping with this analogy, I wouldn't hesitate to mention the occasional carpenter who will use the handle end of a large screwdriver to hammer in some nails and still get the job done, because they accidentally forgot to equip themselves with a hammer that day, or misplaced it in the short term. I too believe that selecting the right management tool for the job is paramount, but resourcefulness and versatility in how you are able to apply those tools can go a long way too - if you're clever enough...

Brian

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Commanded life cycle management tool IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
E Standards Management Tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
E CAPA Management Software Tool Recommendations for Small Companies Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
V Criteria and Rationale for Selection of Risk Management Tool ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Auditing Test Management Software such as HP Quality Center (HPQC) Test Tool Internal Auditing 1
U Question about test management tool (softwares) for Quality assurance department Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 10
L Definition Kamishibai (kamishibai board is a visual management tool) audits Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
Stijloor Quality Management Principles Assessment Tool ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q Tool Management Metrics QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
M Management Review: "Powerful Tool" (ISO 9004 5.6.3) or Redundant Piece of Paper? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
F Tooling Management - Definition of "Tool" - 4.2.6.2 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 12
M Tooling management - Drawing change control for tool and die drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
L SAE AS9145 vs. SAE AS6500 (Manufacturing Management Program) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
John Broomfield Informational Terms used in quality management [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
Q User Requirement Specification for HR (Human Resource Management System) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
S Has anybody done IMS - Management Review Meeting ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
T Management review meeting workflow ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
J Management Representative and PRRC (Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Starting an ISO 41001:2018 Facility management system Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
adir88 MDR requirement: Risk Management Plan for "each device" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q Asset / Tooling Management - Two Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M What are the standards for malls management? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
C Experience with Agile PLM (Product Lifecycle Management Software) software from Oracle? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M MDR requires the NB to perform "tests in order to check that the quality management system" EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
C Management Review Agenda Management Review Meetings and related Processes 20
Gamula Product-Lifecycle-Management Experience Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 9
F Management of Software version while NB reviews Technical file CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
D Risk Analysis & Technical File - What detail goes in the Risk Management Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
6 Management of SDS and Hazardous Material Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
V IS/ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Clause 7, sub clause 7.11 Control of data and information management ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
B ATP 5-19 "Risk Management" Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
A Supplier Quality Standard vs Senior Management Direction Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
G AS9100-8.1.2 Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
N Risk Management besides mandated FDA requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
U Change Management vs Change Control? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4