Managing an Employee Suggestion Program

D

Dubai_capi

hi,

am managing a sugestion program and i came with few things that negatively influenced my program:

- people dont accept that ideas being rejected eaven if logical justification is provided to the employees.
-i had a section that accepted an idea.. then rejected it becuase they forgot that it exist in the section. the same idea as communicated by the section was nominated for reward but after the recent rejection we withdrew the niomination.
- we had a section that reject implementing part of the idea submitted..
-we had sections that want to impelemnet ideas by other ways than suggested..

all these kind of stuff.. any one can advice on how to solve such cases..

thnx

S

sridharafep

Ask why why why why why to your problems then you will get the root cause and answer. Make a flow chart of your current suggestion system and identify the loop hole!

You have to develop a suggestion system to encourage the people, so that you get lot of ideas / Kaizen can work this way. Many ways of appreciate the employees.

Also based on implementation of a suggestion and cost benefit to the organization need to be rewarded.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
If a yea or nay from one spokesman (you?) is not making the employee feel that his suggestion was looked at seriously, you should probably arrange for a "team" meeting with him and the key personell so that the decision making process is outlined for him, and how his suggestion was tried before, and why it didn't work. Maybe, this group could look further into why it didn't work and come up with a better method?

E

Elynn

IMHO (if I interprete you correctly), as I had done our corporate staff management:

- people dont accept that ideas being rejected eaven if logical justification is provided to the employees.
Never expect there is "one-size fit all" ideas. People come from different background and mentality. However, remember that every idea comes with a price to pay. At the end, if the idea is not best effective, someone has to be answerable.

-i had a section that accepted an idea.. then rejected it becuase they forgot that it exist in the section. the same idea as communicated by the section was nominated for reward but after the recent rejection we withdrew the niomination.
This is not really adviseable. Once a "reward" is being implemented, it should not be withdrew.

- we had a section that reject implementing part of the idea submitted..
Is this going to affect the whole implementation for partial rejected?

-we had sections that want to impelemnet ideas by other ways than suggested..
This is normally not useful. again, this depends on the level / qualification of people you are dealing with. Human nature, tends to keep quiet and stay in comfort zone.

D

David Mullins

Ask why why why why why to your problems then you will get the root cause and answer. Make a flow chart of your current suggestion system and identify the loop hole!

You have to develop a suggestion system to encourage the people, so that you get lot of ideas / Kaizen can work this way. Many ways of appreciate the employees.

Also based on implementation of a suggestion and cost benefit to the organization need to be rewarded.

This is very good advice.

I'd add - They need to be rewarded for the idea, but expect professionals to then work the issue through to the root cause and "appropriate" and justifiable actions. This is where the flow chart of the system comes into play to explain the program to staff.
Important to keep them appraised of progress, too, so they don't feel they're being ignored.

Top Bottom