Managing in Silos (book excerpt)

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
QualityAlways,

I've put this book on hold, and started working on something called ISO 9001 in Plain English. Maybe you could help me create a version called ISO 9001 in Plain Chinese...

Have a good weekend,
Craig

Hi Craig,

I wish I could but I am an expatriate working in China; so do not know Chinese. But if you need help, pl lwet me know as I have lot of good friends who could do the translation.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

QualityAlways,

I had never considered that angle related to silos, but you're exactly right. Culture and nationality can become a wedge quicker than you can say "boo." Thanks for taking a look at the article, and thanks for your gracious feedback.

I've put this book on hold, and started working on something called ISO 9001 in Plain English. Maybe you could help me create a version called ISO 9001 in Plain Chinese...

Have a good weekend,
Craig

Hi Cochran,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful article. :applause:

Your article has hit right on the nerve,and the problem is universal.Silos do have their utility,having merits as well demerits like any other thing.I feel that lack of 'Synergy' is the main culprit here.Each department (silo),irrespective of their pride and/or prijudice;must function as a body and move forward with the company.Training and motivation can achieve this.Simply demolishing the boundries (silos) may not achieve the desired results.You will also have to examine all pros & cons before implimenting 'bounriless system', to avoid jumping from frying pan in to the fire.

2.Quality always has provided a very good point here that,nationality and culture matters a lot.The strong bondage between people further divdes silos in to 'cells',that eat into the system like cancer.To avoid this to an extent, the HR deparments checks upon any 'link' of the applicant and refrain from appointing new employee in the same department.

3.Production linked 'Incentive scemes' work very well if your Quality Control is uncompromising and vigilant.If your company is not able to improve its profit, despite the increased production,then the root cause is else where;have to dig deeper to unearth.

Bonus,wheather company-profit linked or otherwise,is mostly taken for granted;just like the wages.Employees treat them as their right,so there is no motivation before them to improve productivity.Therefore,a balance has to be created between the two.

I have just given my piece of mind,which might be useful.

Umang :thanks:

D

dipov

Hello,
It is the first time I write in forum like that and I found in it very interesting decisions and solutions.

Top Bottom