Managing Quality Risks in Construction

Mezzaluna

Registered Visitor
Hi There folks,
I hope this is the right forum...

I've recently inhereted a "Project Quality Plan" (I'm working for a construction company on a well know Site Prep project) and due to a recent audit I need some help on a section of the plan that has been ignored. "Managing Quality Risks" goes something like this...

4.2 Managing Quality Risks
A risk assessment will be made of the work to be carried out under the Contract and documented in a risk assessment worksheet/register. Issues that are identified as risks to the quality of the product or works are to be treated using one or more of the following measures:
 surveillance and monitoring of processes
 training and evaluation of competency of personnel
 assessment and inspection/calibration of equipment
 hold or witness point inspection and testing
 audit of system and products
 independent review/verification of documentation by a third party body
 source inspection by a third party inspection body.

I've asked a few people in the business and have egot a variety of answers. The auditor suggested we ..."base the Risk Register on the same principal as the Safety Risk Rating Register and continue with the Matrix..."

Has anyone ever seen used a similar document?

Thanks in advance,

Mezz.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I'm not familiar with construction. Can anyone here help with this one? My Thanks in advance!

J

JaneB

I hope these can be helpful. The documents are published in our country's government website to assist companies to conduct risk assessment.
Excellent documents, Elynn, thanks for sharing them. I was impressed by them - simple, clear and making the information very accessible. Great stuff.

harry

Super Moderator
In a broad sense, the whole ISO 9001 Quality Management system is about ‘Risk Management’. The items you posted (under 4.2) are addressed by the various clauses of the ISO 9001 standard.

1. surveillance and monitoring of processes
7.5 Production and service provision

2. training and evaluation of competency of personnel
6.2 Human Resources

3. assessment and inspection/calibration of equipment
7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment

4. hold or witness point inspection and testing
Inspection and test plan

5. audit of system and products
8.2.2 Internal Audit

6. independent review/verification of documentation by a third party body
Audit by CB

7. source inspection by a third party inspection body.
Inspection for items such as scaffolding, temporary works, etc.

Generally, these items are addressed as policies in the QMS documents and the Project Quality Plan for Construction purpose should be specific, indicating how you are addressing each of these requirements. For example, under 7.6, you list the items or equipments needing calibration, the calibration interval, their current status and the due date for the next calibration and perhaps the accuracy/tolerance required.

However, there is no requirement for a specific format and various formats can be found in the market.

The Quality Plan you posted looks like one meant for a preliminary proposal where details are not available yet and hence the general policies for each section.

An example of a Construction Quality Plan

Example of inspection & test plan

Last edited:

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
May the OP be asking about risk management in regards to quality of construction, rather than safety of the construction process? I would also be interested to learn of any progress in this discipline.

Pharma has the Q9 guidelines. Is there anything similar in Project Management/Construction?

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi There folks,
I hope this is the right forum...

I've recently inhereted a "Project Quality Plan" (I'm working for a construction company on a well know Site Prep project) and due to a recent audit I need some help on a section of the plan that has been ignored. "Managing Quality Risks" goes something like this...

4.2 Managing Quality Risks
A risk assessment will be made of the work to be carried out under the Contract and documented in a risk assessment worksheet/register. Issues that are identified as risks to the quality of the product or works are to be treated using one or more of the following measures:
 surveillance and monitoring of processes
 training and evaluation of competency of personnel
 assessment and inspection/calibration of equipment
 hold or witness point inspection and testing
 audit of system and products
 independent review/verification of documentation by a third party body
 source inspection by a third party inspection body.

I've asked a few people in the business and have egot a variety of answers. The auditor suggested we ..."base the Risk Register on the same principal as the Safety Risk Rating Register and continue with the Matrix..."

Has anyone ever seen used a similar document?

Thanks in advance,

Mezz.
Mezz,

An FMEA (failure modes and effects analysis) approach would satisfy this requirement.

For this you need a cross functional team to:

1. Agree tables for priortizing the weaknesses (obtain senior management approval)
  2. Identify the weaknesses (hazards to quality - common in Site Prep [although your project may be different] poor leadership, impossible specs, inability to measure, no process design, incompetence, no process monitoring, testing product when it is too late to reject it etc...)
  3. Prioritize the weaknesses in terms of the approved tables:
    - Likelihood rating from 1 (unlikely) to 10 (definite)
    - Severity of impact from 1 ($100) to 10 ($1,000,000)
    - Earlyness of detection from 1 (instant) to 10 (too late)​
  4. Add or multiply (L, S, E) for risk priority number
  5. Take effective preventive action to eliminate the root causes of the top priority risks
  6. Repeat to reduce risk to a level acceptable to senior management
You may conclude that the project needs its own management system to prevent nonconformity and provide confidence that requirements will be fulfilled. This system will at least conform to ISO 9001.

Here is the book for design and construction project teams prepared by members of the ASQ Design and Construction Division.

Good Luck,

John
Editor

Last edited:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I'm happy to hear you got some ideas. Please do let us know what happens. There are some construction related discussions here and anything you can add to the forum knowledge base with regard to the construction industry will be very much appreciated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Software Tools for managing a QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q Filtering ECR/ECO by quality management? Managing Engineering Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
F Who manages QI projects? Quality or PMO? Managing Six Sigma and Lean Projects Six Sigma 2
T Managing International Quality System Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P ISO 10014 - Guidelines for Managing the Economics of Quality Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 33
R Managing Quality in a High Turnover Environment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 51
Q Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Managing overseas travel risks to food handlers Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
S Managing specification changes on standard parts purchased through trading companies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L Managing design projects: New Medical Device Project or Change Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
M Medical Device News DHS – Health Industry Cybersecurity Practices: Managing Threats and Protecting Patients Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Device Standards - Managing Changes to existing standards that apply to our devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J Design Verification - Managing Changes Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
Jane's You may or may not have the same person managing Operations and QA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
Q Managing Internal/External RNC and Complaints in same Format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Managing Finance Processes - Identification of Sub Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Microbiology Testing - Managing a Microbiology Process Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
G Managing Ongoing Compliance to Standards when they are Changed Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R Managing Employee Training Files - 21 CFR Part 820.25 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Need ideas on managing Shelf Life Studies within an organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Any recommendations on software for managing the APQP, PPAP, PFMEA, Control Plan etc? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
R Managing Tooling Condition at Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
B Subsidiary - No Managing Director - Is ISO 9001 Certification Possible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Looking for Practical Advice in Managing Measurement Uncertainties Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
L Managing ITP with an ERP system Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Q Form for Managing Coating Process Parameter Changes during Production Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Managing a Significant Number of Outstanding Non-Conformities Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
C Managing Inspection Records with a Database and Destroying Paper Records Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
D Process for Managing Documents which are Overdue for Review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
S Q1 Manufacturing Site Assessment - Managing Post-Job 1 Changes Procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B Are there any Standards related to Managing an Airport Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Q Managing Internal and Client Complaints ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Industry Best Practices for managing outside Engineering Consultants Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
Q Process or Departments - Document Content and Managing the Process Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Managing the Unexpected - Book Recommendation Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
T Internal Conflict of Interest in Managing Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
L Managing Certificates of Analysis or Conformance for Products Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
T Managing Audit Reports and Schedules General Auditing Discussions 3
M Managing Changes to an SFDA Registered Device China Medical Device Regulations 6
Hami812 Attribute Data Gage R&R - Managing Data Sets - Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
E Nonconformity on managing documents for Electric Arc Furnace Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Managing an Employee Suggestion Program Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
K Managing Prerequisite Programme Activities Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
M Non Normal Data Managing - Clements Method to get Process Characteristics Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Managing New and Revised Electronic Documents (Procedures) - Share Point Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
N Managing Subcontracting Process - Material Traceability from Warehouse to Processing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
G Should ISO/QMS policy be signed by the Managing Director or anyone from Top Mgt? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D Managing Product Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1