Brexit Mandate for EU Authorised Representative for non medical devices

I work for a UK based company that exports a lot of electronic measurement equipment into the EU. Under the new market surveillance and compliance directive and as the UK is no longer in the EU, we need to appoint an authorised representative based in the EU to represent us to cover EU compliance issues before July this year. We have a registered company based in Spain whom we intend to use as the representative but understand we need to draw up an official mandate to appoint that office as our representative.

I cannot find any examples of the required contents of the mandate and list of responsibilities on the EU or other websites that is specific to this directive. I can find lots of information and guidance for the Medical Devices Regulations directive but I believe the responsibilities for market surveillance directive are not so onerous, so am looking to see if anyone has a template or an example of a mandate for this type of mandate, please? Just to state our products are not covered by the MDR or the machineries directives.

We are hoping to make our Spanish company simply a contact point so they can bounce any information requests or complaints to the compliance experts in our office, however I know they will still be legally responsible for the compliance so we need the correct legal documentation.

Has anyone drawn up such documentation they can share please?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
An Authorised Representative (AR) isn't mandatory as per Recital 18:

The economic operators who should perform those tasks are the manufacturer, or the importer when the manufacturer is not established in the Union, or an authorised representative mandated by the manufacturer for this purpose, or a fulfilment service provider established in the Union for products handled by it when no other economic operator is established in the Union.

You're Spanish office can be the "importer" -they don't actually have to import anything, but have to ensure that their name and address is on the product and/or packaging as required.

Whoever imports your products into the EU from UK becomes "The importer" , and to keep it simple and "in house" the easiest option is to have an EU address for CE marking and a UK address for UKCA

Yes agreed, but the general advice I have read is that the authorised rep route is simplest if you sell into multiple EU countries with some sales also being made directly from the UK and some going through other resellers. We will of course put the name of the Spanish Office on the packaging as being the authorised rep but we don't want them to be dragged into import issues (of which there are some!) for goods being shipped to other EU countries. Whichever way we go I still think we need a legal mandate for them to represent us for EU compliance though?

CharlieUK

Don't forget, before the UK left the EU you didn't need a legal "importer" every time you shipped into a different EU country from the UK

Only Authorised Representatives need Legal Mandates - Importers don't

The "Importer" is an Economic Operator who places product on the market from a 3rd Country (which now includes UK)

Hi, sorry to jump in.
I just read in the blue guide that, the requirement for manufacturer (and importer):

"The address must indicate a single point at which the manufacturer can be contacted, in particular by market surveillance authorities. The legal text obliges the manufacturer to put a single contact point on the product. Only one single contact point in each product is allowed. This is not necessarily the address where the manufacturer is actually established. This address can for example be the one of the authorised representative or of the customer services."

So if I am a manufacturer(factory) physically outside EU, but own an office in EU.
Can I show my company name(the factory outside EU) and company address (office inside EU)?
With this I can skip all the obligation from importer or appointing EC representative?

Thanks in advance!

CharlieUK

The "manufacturer" is not the "factory", the manufacturer is the company that brands the product under their name

If you use an address for the manufacturer that is outside the EU, then the product is being placed on the market from a 3rd country, so the person doing this becomes the "importer".

If you use an address for the manufacturer that is inside the EU, the person who "imports the product" is not an "importer" as defined in the Directive

In either case, the actual factory where product is made is irrelevant for labelling

Thanks for your reply!

Sorry for the irrelevancy about the "factory".

So, even if the manufacturer main business operation is outside EU(Manufacturer's Name:AAA, Address:BBB), once it set up a little office(Office's Name:CCC, Address:DDD)

Then in the marking, it is acceptable to just show as below:
Manufacturer name: AAA
Address: DDD

Is it correct?
With this, the importer is no longer valid.
Then must I still need to appoint an external EC rep in MDR?
Thanks again!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Mandate for EU Authorised Representative CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
Chennaiite Is there a List of Countries that mandate ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Does Saudi Arabia mandate that a CE Mark for a Medical Device is Required? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
D TS 16949 Registration - Is this an automotive mandate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
A Anyone Hear about a recent AS Mandate Letter from UTC and Boeing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Confused about the TS 16949 Deadline - Presumably a Big 3 mandate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Chrysler to mandate 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R Vigilance reporting to the country of the EU authorised representative EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N German National Requirements - Safety Officer/Authorised Rep Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S We are looking for EU authorised Representative for both Class I and Class IIb devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
JoCam EU Authorised Representative - Label EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Authorised Representative details on product label? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Ronen E Interesting Discussion Interesting view of EU Authorised Representative under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Authorised Representative Contact Information EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N European Authorised Representative (also called Authorized Representative) - Cost competitive recommendation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Can we be our own EU authorised representative? EU Medical Device Regulations 34
Marc Acronym AR = Authorised Representative Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
somashekar Adding an other process into the system - Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) Scheme ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Medical Device Authorised Representation Middle East Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K Serial Numbers on Authorised Release Certificates AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
C Authorised Economic Operator Status (EU) - HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
A Singapore Medical Device Registration & Authorised Representative Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
P Requirements for being an European Representative EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Question on Authorized Representative in Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
T Different Authorized Representative and distributors in Saudi Arabia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Edward Reesor EU Authorized Representative for a Class I Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
J Management Representative and PRRC (Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Local Authorized Representative - Kenya Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) upgrade to PSCR VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
M EU Representative needed for Turkey? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Manufacturer's agreement with their EU Authorized Representative EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L ISO 13485 5.5.2 - Can a consultant be our Management Representative ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Authorized Representative services for the EU Recommendations EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Who is the Management Representative in my company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J In-Country Representative - Thailand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
K Mandatory Documents for EU authorized Representative under MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
C What if the foreign manufacturer of a medical device changes the Authorized Representative in Saudi Arabia? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S API Spec Q1 - How to define Management Representative competency for QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
E Authorized Representative Change - Saudi Arabia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
K Audit without a QA/RA Representative ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
M Putting AR's name and address on label - Authorized Representative Labeling Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
S Is management representative a temporary post or a job title Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
T Authorized Representative on Labeling (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N EU Authorized Representative question EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H Local Representative / Distributors - United Arab Emirates Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
D Sampling method that is representative of the devices supplied by that distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C Vietnam - Authorized Medical Device Representative Change Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
S Management representative transition checklist IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
J AS9100D Management Representative AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) Responsibilities and Requirements VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4