Manufacturing and quality control process in furniture production company

L

luksha

Hello, everyone!

I am currently a ISO 9001:2000 implementation consultant in timber furniture production company.

But as I am little experienced in ISO, I have ran into some problems :frust:

I can't figure out how to plan and control the work as well as identify material & semifinished product flow.

The problem is that company is producting about 200 product types, of which about 50 have different production process. And those products are changing from time to time ofcourse.
These are the production processes: geting timber (storing it) -> planing the timber -> bending and gluing -> drilling -> assembling of products

There are three facilities
1) plane (shaving) facility
2) bending / gluing / drilling facility
3) assembling facility

So, the bought materials go through the shaving facility and they are divided into other packages, which are going to diferent proceses - bending, assembling e.t.c, every procuct has it's own way and order how it is going through all these proceses. And the machine operators are also changing (2 shifts), does that mean that we have to identify (mark) every workers job - product that he has made, so that he would be reliable for it, so that used material could be identified?

So, I want to know how particulary does ISO 9001 ask to plan and control all these proceses and material & semifinished products flow?

Maybe someone could send me some examples of typical furniture production company planning, manufacturing and control flowcharts?

That would help me alot!

If there is someone willing to help, I can sed over or post detailed descriptions with flowcharts I have made until now.

HELP I'M Stuck! :bonk:

Have a good day!

Normunds

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Normunds, unless I misunderstand you it sounds to me like you are making this a bigger job than is required. Planning and control of work can typically be handled through some combination of work instructions, training, and monitoring/measuring. You may already have many these controls in place.

Identification of material is required where you need to control it. More than likely you don't really need to identify which people worked on the product - you just need to be able to tell what each part/product is. This can be done fairly simply, such as placing a part number on a container of material. Traceability is only required if you need it for some business reason or your customers require it.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
howste said:
Normunds, unless I misunderstand you it sounds to me like you are making this a bigger job than is required. Planning and control of work can typically be handled through some combination of work instructions, training, and monitoring/measuring. You may already have many these controls in place.

Identification of material is required where you need to control it. More than likely you don't really need to identify which people worked on the product - you just need to be able to tell what each part/product is. This can be done fairly simply, such as placing a part number on a container of material. Traceability is only required if you need it for some business reason or your customers require it.
I tend to agree with howtse on this.
Working with natural wood (compared to engineered wood products) is dependent on dealing with the natural variation in wood and performing additional processes on the various pieces to produce a relatively uniform product.

If it were my operation, I would look at this organization as
  1. a system that has 200 products
  2. each product has a Control Plan, (new Control Plan for new product)
  3. The Control plan dictates which of the available processes in the organization the product will undergo
(A Control Plan can be laid out as a simple flow chart for each product, listing the order in which the workpiece goes through each process with the amount of process controlled by the blueprint or other design for the workpiece.)

If you think of your product in terms of each unit, you will be following a pattern laid down by contract machine shops. They deal with bar stock or ingots as raw material (ferrous or nonferrous alloys instead of wood) and have a multitude of available processes to perform on that material (lathe, milling machine, grinders, polishers, heat treating, plating of a variety of options, etc.), but rarely is every possible machine and process used on every product. A traveler follows each workorder, with checkoffs for
  • material from inventory,
  • processes performed by whom and when,
  • inspected when and by whom,
  • location and time finished product is in inventory
If this doesn't start you on the road back to confidence, send me a private message or email and we can go into more detail about your particular situation.

bpritts

Involved - Posts
I would support the earlier comments, especially Wes' suggestion that you
use a 'traveler' -- a written work order that defines the process steps to
be taken for each job. Depending on the work flow the traveler document
might even serve as the material tag (if the materials all stay together somehow).

Since you have a small number of processes, you can define most of the
general operations for each process - mill, plane, cut to length, etc.
Your detailed work instructions for how to do each process are here.
You could also include general inspection instructions - for example, after
cutting a board to length, check its length using a tape measure and accept it
based on a general tolerance.

Then you only write up the critical details on the work order/traveler for a specific
job. At that point you assume that the operator is competent at the
operation and only needs to know the details.

Best of luck

Brad

L

luksha

Thanks, everyone for the guidances!

After like 10 hours I'm going to this facility, and I will discuss these new ideas with people there.

Actually we already were discusing this "work order/traveler" thing, but we got stuck at the thing that each material pack taken lately divides into several other packs for different products.

Maybe I should make system with two step travelers:
1st traveler is sticked to the material, with amount of input material and after proceses there is writen amount of parts produced
2st is work order where is writen - what for is this material pack, who does what with this material (proceses), chekbox for inspection and date/location where the produced procut (outcome) must be placed.

In all this I would like to put in each products "control plan", I liked this idea.

By the way, the operators know how to perform proceses, they just need to know the details.

So anyways, I have to go to sleep right now (after 16 hours of work :( ), so tomorrow I will have some new thoughts on all this.

Once again, thanks for replies, they are helpful :)

Normunds

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
luksha said:
Thanks, everyone for the guidances!
. . .
Actually we already were discusing this "work order/traveler" thing, but we got stuck at the thing that each material pack taken lately divides into several other packs for different products.

Maybe I should make system with two step travelers:
1st traveler is sticked to the material, with amount of input material and after proceses there is writen amount of parts produced
2st is work order where is writen - what for is this material pack, who does what with this material (proceses), chekbox for inspection and date/location where the produced procut (outcome) must be placed.

In all this I would like to put in each products "control plan", I liked this idea.

Once again, thanks for replies, they are helpful :)

Normunds
It occurs to me to ask, luksha/Normunds, if you are familiar with the concept of "Bill of Materials" (frequently abbreviated BOM) which is often attached to a design for a product? If not, say so, and we can help you understand using a BOM as a way to make an assembly process more efficient.

I'm a little confused about the actual process in your organization.

I presume any given product is comprised of more than one unique material, such as
  • wood (varieties [oak, maple, etc.] and types [lumber, plywood, etc.] )
  • fasteners
  • glue
  • finish (paint, varnish, etc.)
  • fabric
  • padding
  • trim pieces (buttons, fringe, ?)
  • thread (to sew fabric, trim, and padding)
My main confusion comes in understanding what you mean by the phrase "getting timber (storing it) -> planing the timber " in your first post.
  1. Are you actually starting out with raw logs (bark still on)? (This is my understanding of "timber")
  2. Are you starting off with rough size lumber (sawed by a mill to standard sizes) which you plane to exact sizes to conform to your designs?
  3. Does a material pack after planing consist of ALL one variety of lumber (oak, maple) or all one size (25 centimeters X 25 centimeters X 250 centimeters long, for example) or is it a mixture of wood varieties and sizes?
  4. What determines which products or how many will be produced from a bundle of timber which comes into your facility?
    ( Do you order timber to fill orders for finished products or do you make finished products depending on available timber?)
Are you familar with the concept of "kitting" (making up material bundles into kits to assemble ONE unit)? If so, it might be advantageous to include a kitting step in your process so the workers will have all available materials at hand when they begin final assembly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Quality Management and Quality Control - Manufacturing company of 40+ people Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
M Quality Control Reporting to Manufacturing - Conflict of Interest Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
A From Quality Assurance to Quality Control and Manufacturing to Non-manufacturing Career and Occupation Discussions 17
M Operational (free) simulation games for manufacturing and quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
U Manufacturing solutions and keeping records on quality Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Improving Quality inspection gate in one piece flow manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
andika_untoro What are a good Critical to Quality (CTQ) metrics for a biotech manufacturing production? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
Q 21 CFR Part 111 - Requirements for Dietary Supplement Manufacturing Water Quality Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
L Quality Manual for a Quality Plan (Manufacturing secrets?) Request Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Y Quality Management System Manual (Wood Manufacturing Company) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
D API 5CT Compliant Quality Plan for Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
J FDA Compliant Quality System for Virtual Manufacturing (IVD Medical Device)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Appliance Manufacturing - Quality Assurance Mentor Wanted Career and Occupation Discussions 13
T LED Lighting Manufacturing Quality Checks Benchmarking 4
M Quality issues in a manufacturing plant - High-pressured solvent spray cans Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
V Quality/Manufacturing/Six Sigma Jobs - Tri State (NJ,NY,CT) Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A Quality Improvement in Low Volume Manufacturing Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
B Sales vs. Quality vs. Manufacturing - Interactions and Responsibilities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
R Quality Manager Reporting to Director of Manufacturing - Conflict of Interest? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
W Cost of Quality - Electronics Manufacturing The Reading Room 14
V Quality Plan for Development & Manufacturing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
ScottK What are your top KPI's for Quality Performance in Manufacturing? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
J ISO 9001:2008 Quality Manual for Urea Manufacturing Plant Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 12
M Types of Yearly Quality Goals for all Manufacturing Associates Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L Proper Personnel Ratio - Quality to Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
S Where is the line drawn between Manufacturing and Quality... Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
D Looking for an example quality checklist for a footwear manufacturing site Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Quality & Lean Written Quiz on terms and defintion of Quality and Lean Manufacturing Software Quality Assurance 8
Q A Non-Quality Culture at a medical device manufacturing company Career and Occupation Discussions 13
T What should a quality engineer be doing in a company (manufacturing)? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
C Engine Manufacturing Quality Benchmarks Benchmarking 9
G MSSC (Manufacturing Skills Standards Council) Quality And Continuous Improvement Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
I Calculating Quality Level for a Product - Small Batch Manufacturing Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
Fexjo How to Link Quality Management System, Manufacturing and Product Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Manufacturing Process Design Output Data for Quality, Reliability, Maintainability Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
T The Role of a Quality Assurance Manager in a Manufacturing Environment Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Q 'Retained Quality Samples' from each manufacturing batch - Thoughts on this please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Organizational Chart - Manufacturing Manager report to Director of Quality ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Quality policy & Objectives draft - Chemical manufacturing - Please give comments. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Can CPK be a good manufacturing processor?s quality objective? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
S Sample Quality Manual - Special Machines & Fixtures Manufacturing & Design Company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
J Training related to quality for manufacturing operators - What to train them on? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
R Surveys about Quality Management and Lean Manufacturing The Reading Room 0
C Interview with Quality Director and Manufacturing Director - Questions to Expect? Career and Occupation Discussions 14
K Plastic mold injection manufacturing - Quality Manual examples please Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
B Should manufacturing efficiency be a quality function? Yes or No? Manufacturing and Related Processes 72
Q Quality vs. manufacturing personnel requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Lean Manufacturing - Eliminating Inspection - Can Quality Survive? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 49
K Combined Environmental / Quality Manufacturing Process Audit Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 16