SBS - The best value in QMS software

Manufacturing equipment (e.g.: Dental Welder): medical device or not?

PacoRabanez

Starting to get Involved
Hi to everyone.

I hope you all are well and fine.

I came across a particular topic and, I think, also widespread.
I searched over the forum but didn't find anything.

There is an equipment used to manufacture a medical device.
In particular, an arch welder to fabricate a dental titanium prosthesis.

Is this welder a medical device in the USA?
I cannot find anything across the FDA product code database or into their guidances.

My opinion is that a "simple" welder is not a medical device, but it is up to the manufacturer qualify and validate the process, the equipment and the related supplier.
So, the supplier have "no" responsabilities in term of USA regulation under FDA.

I would appreciate a lot if some of you experts could share any opinion (or material reference or experience too).

Thank you very much.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi to everyone.

I hope you all are well and fine.

I came across a particular topic and, I think, also widespread.
I searched over the forum but didn't find anything.

There is an equipment used to manufacture a medical device.
In particular, an arch welder to fabricate a dental titanium prosthesis.

Is this welder a medical device in the USA?
I cannot find anything across the FDA product code database or into their guidances.

My opinion is that a "simple" welder is not a medical device, but it is up to the manufacturer qualify and validate the process, the equipment and the related supplier.
So, the supplier have "no" responsabilities in term of USA regulation under FDA.

I would appreciate a lot if some of you experts could share any opinion (or material reference or experience too).

Thank you very much.
The arc welder is not a medical device. How to Determine if Your Product is a Medical Device

It is not
intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, in man or other animals,

or

intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals, and which does not achieve its primary intended purposes through chemical action within or on the body of man or other animals

PacoRabanez

Starting to get Involved
The arc welder is not a medical device. How to Determine if Your Product is a Medical Device

It is not
intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, in man or other animals,

or

intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals, and which does not achieve its primary intended purposes through chemical action within or on the body of man or other animals

Hi.
Thank you very much for sharing your opinion and point of view.

Its intended use (fabrication of dental device) made me confused, but, indeed, basing on the definition this arc welder is not a MD if not used on a patient.

Many thanks.

PacoRabanez

Starting to get Involved

It is not

or

Hi. I would like to share an update:
searching again into the FDA product code database, I came over this one NDP:
Device Accessories, Implant, Dental, Endosseous
Regulation Description Endosseous dental implant accessories.
Product Code NDP
Submission Type 510(K) Exempt
Regulation Number872.3980
Device Class 1

If you read the regulation number description:

Sec. 872.3980 Endosseous dental implant accessories.
(a) Identification. Endosseous dental implant accessories are manually powered devices intended to aid in the placement or removal of endosseous dental implants and abutments, prepare the site for placement of endosseous dental implants or abutments, aid in the fitting of endosseous dental implants or abutments, aid in the fabrication of dental prosthetics, and be used as an accessory with endosseous dental implants when tissue contact will last less than 1 hour. These devices include drill bits, screwdrivers, countertorque devices, placement and removal tools, laboratory pieces used for fabrication of dental prosthetics, and trial abutments.

My question is:
Does this product code include the aforementioned arc welding machine?
or is this product code only for specific accessories to a specific medical device?
e.g.: a specific dental medical device needs the use of a specific accessory (such as aspecific arch welder).

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi. I would like to share an update:
searching again into the FDA product code database, I came over this one NDP:
Device Accessories, Implant, Dental, Endosseous
Regulation Description Endosseous dental implant accessories.
Product Code NDP
Submission Type 510(K) Exempt
Regulation Number872.3980
Device Class 1

If you read the regulation number description:

Sec. 872.3980 Endosseous dental implant accessories.
(a) Identification. Endosseous dental implant accessories are manually powered devices intended to aid in the placement or removal of endosseous dental implants and abutments, prepare the site for placement of endosseous dental implants or abutments, aid in the fitting of endosseous dental implants or abutments, aid in the fabrication of dental prosthetics, and be used as an accessory with endosseous dental implants when tissue contact will last less than 1 hour. These devices include drill bits, screwdrivers, countertorque devices, placement and removal tools, laboratory pieces used for fabrication of dental prosthetics, and trial abutments.

My question is:
Does this product code include the aforementioned arc welding machine?
or is this product code only for specific accessories to a specific medical device?
e.g.: a specific dental medical device needs the use of a specific accessory (such as aspecific arch welder).
Caveat: I'm not an expert on Dental tools so this is just my opinion.

I highlighted the salient point in the quote above. It is not manually powered nor is it any of the items listed. Based on this, I think it is not an accessory.

PacoRabanez

Starting to get Involved
Caveat: I'm not an expert on Dental tools so this is just my opinion.

I highlighted the salient point in the quote above. It is not manually powered nor is it any of the items listed. Based on this, I think it is not an accessory.
Thank you again very much.
Very kind of you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Does ISO 9001-2015 have a requirement for manufacturing equipment to be numbered? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K Equipment Mobility - Transfer of manufacturing lines to a different location Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
D Verification that Manufacturing Equipment has maintained a Validated State Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
T Risk Analysis for moving manufacturing equipment ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 17
L Medical Device Manufacturing Equipment Design Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
jkuil Calibration before and after relocation of GMP manufacturing equipment Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
G Prototype Manufacturing Equipment - Validate or not to validate? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
D Moving Manufacturing Equipment from USA to Europe - Is CE certification required?? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
O Requalification/Revalidation Activities - Dietary Supplement Manufacturing Equipment Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
H Cooling Equipment Qualification for Medical Device Manufacturing EU Medical Device Regulations 3
U Regulations and Standards for Drug Manufacturing Equipment Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
M Manufacturing Equipment Pressure Gages Calibration Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
S Lean - Ways to Measure Equipment Flexibility - Flexible Manufacturing System (FMS) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
A How to treat large Manufacturing Equipment providers - Opinions and comments wanted Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
A Re-Validation criteria and Requirements for Manufacturing equipment on site ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Difference between control & audit - Cleaning manufacturing equipment Internal Auditing 5
T Photomask Processing Equipment Manufacturing and SPC Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
E [Ask] Original Equipment Manufacturing/Manufacturer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Ajit Basrur Necessity of Calibration of Manufacturing Process Equipment Gages, Controllers, Etc. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
P ISO 8 classified medical manufacturing room Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
P How to measure DPPM in Chemical batch manufacturing Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
M MSA Study Type 1 not capable. We are at the limit. And manufacturing wants to continue producing. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Office and manufacturing site relocation effect on Device Technical File CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
lanley liao How to keep the manufacturing capability under the API monogram Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
O Any info on release date of FDA “Computer Software Assurance for Manufacturing and Quality System Software” document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
Ed Panek What are the limits on manufacturing changes and substantial changes? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Z Rapid audit template for plastic parts manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
P IQ, OQ, PQ protocol, and report templates for Distributed Control Systems in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Systems. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
K One CE Mark holder - multiple manufacturing sites EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Indian Medical Device Rules - Manufacturing and Wholesale Lic. Required ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
R Manufacturing plants relocation - Medical Device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
R Medical Device - Change manufacturing plant Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
P New Global HQ Suggestions for Virtual manufacturing/own brand labelling of medical devices? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Manufacturing Execution Systems Software Costs Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
J Control Plan use on the manufacturing floor FMEA and Control Plans 4
S PSW - Requirements for "off-the shelf" component that has multiply manufacturing locations Off the Shelf Item Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing Processes Thread Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
A ISO 14971 PFMEA Manufacturing Risk ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
H Line Balancing in Backpack Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
DuncanGibbons Resources for aiding in procedure, work instruction and manufacturing plan development and management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
L SAE AS9145 vs. SAE AS6500 (Manufacturing Management Program) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
qualprod Automation in manufacturing - Print Shop ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
N Address of Legal Manufacturing Site in ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0