Manufacturing Process Auditor Requirements - IATF 16949

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
I'm hoping someone can help with this, I've been researching for awhile and I can't find an answer. This is a manufacturing plant and I'm needing to know if I have folks only auditing the manufacturing processes (cutting, cleaning etc.) on the three different shifts, do they have to go through the entire training that an internal auditor that does full system audits does?

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
... and right after I typed the question, I think I found the answer... I believe I'm trying to convert Layered-process Audits to Manufacturing Process Audits.. LPA auditors wouldn't necessarily have to be trained, but an auditor doing a "Manufacturing Process Audit" as defined by IATF, would need to be "Trained"... Am I correct on this?

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
I guess I need to know what training an auditor would need to perform 9.2.2.4 Manufacturing Process Audit ? I realize it would be much better to have every auditor fully trained as an internal auditor, but it gets difficult taking folks from an off-shift out of production for 3-5 days to be trained.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
You need to look up the latest sanctioned interpretations. They have relaxed some of the internal audit competency requirements.

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
Golfman!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! This is perfect!!! I only need to train them on the process, control plan and PFMEA.. That's so much easier than a 3-day workshop.. A question for ya, how did you know about this document? Should my registrar be telling me about them or something? I mean jeez, I would think spending over $15k a year, to maintain a certificate to a standard, would entitle me to receive "updates" to the standard!?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Golfman!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! This is perfect!!! I only need to train them on the process, control plan and PFMEA.. That's so much easier than a 3-day workshop.. A question for ya, how did you know about this document? Should my registrar be telling me about them or something? I mean jeez, I would think spending over $15k a year, to maintain a certificate to a standard, would entitle me to receive "updates" to the standard!?
Golfman is terrific, yes? :) I agree it would have been nice if the CB had told you more of IATF, but I can at least share their web site with you in case you haven't seen it yet. Better late than never, I suppose...

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
Yes, thank you. I did go there and sign up for their newsletter or whatever is called so maybe now I'll know if there is another revision.. funny, they call them "sanctioned interpretations", they're friggin revisions, good Lord!

UncleFester

Involved In Discussions
Be careful - the clause you state - 9.2.2.4 is for Product Audit. Clause 9.2.2.3 is Manufacturing Process Audit. The S.I. No. 4 has relaxed the requirements for manufacturing process audits and product auditors, but don't forget that any of your customer's specific requirements may over-rule any of these.
For example, General Motors require layered process audits, annual special process audits, and auditors qualified as an ISO9001 Lead Auditor and a minimum of 5 years experience of the process under audit.
FCA require members of site senior management to perform process audits at least weekly.

You should also consider any 'special' processes that you have (welding, plating, painting etc.) which may require more thorough audit.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource

Well you have to be a member of the secret society and know the secret handshake.

To be honest, I usually find out that there was an update here. Then I head over to IATF to check it out. It's something you do need to monitor as you audit/update your system. Don't expect much help from the powers that be.

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
Be careful - the clause you state - 9.2.2.4 is for Product Audit. Clause 9.2.2.3 is Manufacturing Process Audit. The S.I. No. 4 has relaxed the requirements for manufacturing process audits and product auditors, but don't forget that any of your customer's specific requirements may over-rule any of these.
For example, General Motors require layered process audits, annual special process audits, and auditors qualified as an ISO9001 Lead Auditor and a minimum of 5 years experience of the process under audit.
FCA require members of site senior management to perform process audits at least weekly.

You should also consider any 'special' processes that you have (welding, plating, painting etc.) which may require more thorough audit.

We are a tier 2. Basically bulk commodity. If you look under the hood of your car and see aluminum HVAC tubing, we made the tube most likely, but just the tube. We don't bend or form or any of that. We do have GM sort of, it's General Motors Components Holdings GMCH, they are the closest customer we have to being an OEM. I'm assuming that if I have production personnel, front office personnel and managers doing Manufacturing Process Audits, this would suffice as LPA's. I may be wrong in that assumption. As for auditors qualified as leads, in the past we took exemptions to this. I believe Visteon used to require this, but as of a couple weeks ago we do now have an employee who is a certified lead auditor, but thanks for the heads up, I did not know that GM required this now.

Top Bottom