Manufacturing Process Design and Development Review - TS 16949 Clause 7.3.4

mjoakin

Involved In Discussions
Hi. Here's my question. I'm not responsible for product design, I receive drawings and specifications and just proceed to produce parts.

TS 16949 7.3.4 says that includes "manufacturing process design", so, to meet this requirement I need to perform reviews to ensure the process is working AS expected? reviews as process capabilities and efficiency?

Then, I need to meet 7.3.5 and 7.3.6: I have to verify my process (process is capable to meet customer requirements) and validate the process (validate its intended use? produce as planned?)

Is it like efficiency and effectiveness: my process can meet the requirements but I spent the double of the time to meet them?

Am I right? or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Jaime.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
U

Umang Vidyarthi

Hi. Here's my question. I'm not responsible for product design, I receive drawings and specifications and just proceed to produce parts.

TS 16949 7.3.4 says that includes "manufacturing process design", so, to meet this requirement I need to perform reviews to ensure the process is working AS expected? reviews as process capabilities and efficiency?

Am I right? or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Jaime.
The design and development reviews are for the organisation that is responsible for design of the component. Since you recieve the drawings and specs, you are not in the ambit of 7.3.4.

Umang :D

mjoakin

Involved In Discussions
The design and development reviews are for the organisation that is responsible for design of the component. Since you recieve the drawings and specs, you are not in the ambit of 7.3.4.

Umang :D
That's why I thought at first ... BUT ... TS 16949 says: "7.3.4 ... reviews [...] include manufacturing process design" ... and "requirements of 7.3.5 and 7.3.6 apply to both product and manufacturing process"

I edited my question, please have a look, I'm understanding that TS also asks me to pay attention to the way I design my process (not the product) so I can ensure I'll have the result expected.

jerry_Malaysia

Quite Involved in Discussions
That's why I thought at first ... BUT ... TS 16949 says: "7.3.4 ... reviews [...] include manufacturing process design" ... and "requirements of 7.3.5 and 7.3.6 apply to both product and manufacturing process"

I edited my question, please have a look, I'm understanding that TS also asks me to pay attention to the way I design my process (not the product) so I can ensure I'll have the result expected.
I think you are right mjoakin. If you receive drawing and spec from customer, probably you are not responsible for "product design"
But no matter how, you must be responsible for "process design"
:2cents:

mjoakin

Involved In Discussions
Typically APQP, Feasability anaylsis, PPAP, FMEA, and Control Plans are what covers these requirements.
That's also my own thinking, but what I wanted to make sure is that 7.3.4, 7.3.5 and 7.3.6 definitely applies for "process design" and that I'm interpreting correctly:

7.3.4 Review: engineering calculated correctly how many machines, operators, inspector etc to meet customer requirements? (production schedule)

7.3.5 Verification: the process designed by engineering ensure all specs will be met? seam width, stitches per inch, correct assemblies, components in right place, etc. ... am I using the correct machinery?

7.3.6 Validation: now, my process meet the specs, but, am I using the resources stated in the review? I'm getting the parts intended within the time scheduled? i.e. is not right if I said I'll use 1 machine to get 200 parts per hour, but instead I'm using 2 machines to get the same 200 parts, so, validation failed!

R

ralphsulser

That's also my own thinking, but what I wanted to make sure is that 7.3.4, 7.3.5 and 7.3.6 definitely applies for "process design" and that I'm interpreting correctly:

7.3.4 Review: engineering calculated correctly how many machines, operators, inspector etc to meet customer requirements? (production schedule)

7.3.5 Verification: the process designed by engineering ensure all specs will be met? seam width, stitches per inch, correct assemblies, components in right place, etc. ... am I using the correct machinery?

7.3.6 Validation: now, my process meet the specs, but, am I using the resources stated in the review? I'm getting the parts intended within the time scheduled? i.e. is not right if I said I'll use 1 machine to get 200 parts per hour, but instead I'm using 2 machines to get the same 200 parts, so, validation failed!
You should change your Control Plan to reflect what you are actually doing to achieve acceptable product process design. The FMEAs also will need to be reviewed to see if RPNs are affected. You may have to revalidate your Cpks and re-PPAP if your customer requires it because you changed the process from one to two machines. Check your latest PPAP book and your customer specific requirements.
You can change anything within the customer specifications, but you need to follow the requirements of all the TS16949 standards including the "Core tools" blue books.

mjoakin

Involved In Discussions
You should change your Control Plan to reflect what you are actually doing to achieve acceptable product process design. The FMEAs also will need to be reviewed to see if RPNs are affected. You may have to revalidate your Cpks and re-PPAP if your customer requires it because you changed the process from one to two machines. Check your latest PPAP book and your customer specific requirements.
You can change anything within the customer specifications, but you need to follow the requirements of all the TS16949 standards including the "Core tools" blue books.
Well, I put a example of using two machines instead of 1, what I needed to hear was: "yes, that's how you review, verify and validate; that's how you met 7.3.4, 7.3.5 and 7.3.6"

so, i guess I'm on the right path, I'll review the plans, I'll verify if the process gives the expected results and validate if the process is being doing it the way we planned.

:thanks:

Thanks everyone.

:thanx:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C IATF 16949 8.3 Exclusion - Manufacturing process design and development IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3 - Manufacturing process design and development IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M IATF 16949 - Cl. 8.3.3 - Product design inputs, manufacturing process design inputs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.2 Manufacturing process design input - Process capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
O PFMEA - Reducing Severity (S) Ranking - Manufacturing Process Design Changes FMEA and Control Plans 4
A ISO/TS 16949 - 7.3.3.2 Manufacturing Process Design Output IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
kedarg6500 Manufacturing Process Design and Development Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S TS 16949 7.3.3.2 Question - Manufacturing Process Design Output. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
R Use of Design and Process FMEA tools - Kitchen Cabinets Manufacturing Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
Q How to Demonstrate Manufacturing Process Design Conformity - Capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Manufacturing Process Design Documentation - Inputs and Outputs Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
A Manufacturing Process Design Output Data for Quality, Reliability, Maintainability Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
A Manufacturing Process Design Output - Method of rapid NC detection & feedback Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
P Evidence for manufacturing process design output data Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
A Manufacturing process design validation - What aspects are validated? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
A Manufacturing process design input vs Design information checklist Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Manufacturing process design inputs - Productivity, process capability, cost targets Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
R Processes in Design & Development - Have you Defined Manufacturing Process Designs? Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
R Product Design vs. Manufacturing Process Design Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Watchcat Does 820.30 include the manufacturing process? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Watchcat Does ISO 13485 7.3 include the manufacturing process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
K Differences between Manufacturing Process Audit & Layered Process Audit Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
G QMS requirements for legal manufacturer when outsourcing manufacturing process Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 23
J Manufacturing Process Auditor Requirements - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
I ISO 10993 Biocompatibility Requirements - manufacturing process chemicals Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
S Improving Quality inspection gate in one piece flow manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
H IATF 16949 9.2.2.3 - Manufacturing process audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M Requirement for manufacturing process validation in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J Lean MFG (manufacturing) process and Work order templates Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
A Is a Manufacturing Process Sheet required for each Component? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
V IATF 16949 Manufacturing Process & Product Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Manufacturing Work Instruction examples that include process pictures Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.5.2 e) - Manufacturing Process Flow Charts & Layout IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C Manufacturing Process Work Instructions - Format Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B Process Risk Assessment Example for a Manufacturing Company Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
I Manufacturing build requests - process and form Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
Crimpshrine13 Is VDA 6.3 required for Manufacturing Process Audit (ISO/TS 16949)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
L Most appropriate Auditor to check the FMEA & PCP of a Manufacturing Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Manufacturing Process Validation Destructive Testing Sampling Plan Advice Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A SOP for Marketing Process for a Medical Devices Manufacturing Company wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Process FMEA w/ Contracted Manufacturing ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
D Number of Manufacturing Lots for Process Validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
Q Medical Device Manufacturing Process Monitoring Best Practice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J What is Incorporation in Assembly/Manufacturing Process in FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 4
T What tools are there to monitor a Manufacturing Process or Operation? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
D Membrane Filter Materials - What process and Equipments used in Manufacturing? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Severity of Effect on Process (Manufacturing/Assembly Effect) Scrap or Reworking FMEA and Control Plans 3