Marking "Distributed By" to product with distributors' reference-code

Hi to all, this is my first message to forum, and it may be little silly and simple, but with regulatory issues, better safe than sorry.

Company I work for distributes a CE-marked medical device to EU market and now we would like to mark this device with our reference-code and information.

Manufacturer is within EU and my company is also.

So the thing is that we are selling this medical device with our own reference-code to the market, and therefore want to attach label stating the reference-code and our information. Original label that states manufacturer and model-name with CE-marking would still be visible, we would just attach our label next to it.

So the plan is to attach label stating "Distributed by" (or distributor -symbol included in the upcoming ISO 15223:2020) + our name and contact-info and our reference-code "Distributor reference XXXXXXXXX".

My concern is that does this make us manufacturer in the eyes of MDR Article 16?

My understanding is that "Distributed by" -labeling is common, but does the fact that we are giving the product our own reference-code make the distributor the manufacturer?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Awadine

Starting to get Involved
Hi

my take is that providing you are only adding to the outer packaging, are not obscuring the manufacturer’s label and the manufacturers ref and details are clearly visible then this would be acceptable and you are not at risk of being considered to be the legal manufacturer.

Thank you Awadine for your comment. We took an approach to mark devices as described in the first post, but felt the need for ask the manufacturer permission to do so beforehand.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N CE marking for distributed product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M FDA Syringe Marking requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
I Is SRN required for a contract manufacturer (CE-Marking product)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S CE Marking components within IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
A Technical documentation ce marking pippete tips CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
S Device with different options for a sub-component - CE marking implications EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R CE and UKCA marking Own Brand products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
C CE Marking - Medical Device Accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Using of CE marking - Two CE markings on the product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
T CE Marking - Bench mark Device from same manufacturer CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
F Lithium polymer battery, venting and CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A Migrating from whole product CE marking to modular approach CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
H EU CE marking for Medical Device Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S CE marking for OEM Brand CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
E Medical Device - CE marking - Local market notifications EU Medical Device Regulations 2
U Medical Device CE Marking - Using a disposable bearing CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K CE Marking for Class I Medical Device? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
Z Is IQ necessary for laser marking validation? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Is it mandatory to obtain ISO13485 certificate prior to CE marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
G CE marking of MD and IVD set EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M CE marking for NON-EU EU Medical Device Regulations 0
NDesouza Getting Rid of Part Marking Errors Benchmarking 40
S CE marking for a product upgrade CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
P CE Marking UK Membership CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J Powered wheelchairs (Class IIa) in the process of CE marking and use in hospitals CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N CE marking colour for Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A EAC Marking in Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B Marking of Medical Electrical equipment and accessories - Cl. 7.2.2 "Identification" and Cl. 7.2.4 "Accessories" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Clinical investigations of medical devices - not for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Marking Machinery for Israel CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Does company who manufacture but does not design or carry out clinical trials is responsible for CE marking for single use medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Does cFDA accepts FDA approval or CE marking? China Medical Device Regulations 1
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Is Shelf Life Change a significant change? CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
CPhelan Using clinical trial safety data for evidence for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N How to Write and Compile a Technical File for CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
CPhelan Do you require MDSAP for CE Marking of a Medical Device or is ISO13485:2016 with clinical data sufficient? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
P CE Marking EN ISO 13849-1: Electrical Panel behind interlocked doors CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
M Cleaning Process after laser marking on orthopaedic implants Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
H Safety and efficacy study for CE marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Difficulty Finding A Notified Body for CE Marking - No Capacity Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
K Post Market Clinical Follow up and CE Marking for Class IIb medical X-Ray products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J CE Marking for vibrator personal pleasure toy CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 16
JoshuaFroud CE Marking and Brexit - Product shipped to a distributor prior to the March deadline EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational Design for new product safety marking for the no-deal Brexit scenario Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
E Safety work instruction if the equipment have the CE Marking and a Manual with safety instruction Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
Z Direct Part Marking (DPM) requirements for Class II Medical Devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 0