Massive gas leak off Scotland

Deepwater Horizon Déjà vu?

All production on Elgin, Franklin and West Franklin gasfields off Aberdeen has been closed down and all hands have been evacuated from the platforms due to a massive gas leak that started 25 march. Thus far it is not known where the leak is, and a four mile exclusion zone has been set up.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I read about that. As I understand it their main "selling" point is that it's gas rather than oil, and as such is supposed to be "less destructive".

I read about that. As I understand it their main "selling" point is that it's gas rather than oil, and as such is supposed to be "less destructive".
Yes. Unless the big as cloud above the platform ignites... That would be pretty destructive. I hope it does not happen, but the risk is very real.

/Claes

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
There is also the aspect of releasing the gas into the air. It certainly doesn't help. Who knows how many cubic feet of gas is being released every day. Between oil leaks, gas leaks, pollution from "fracking" to - Well, man is doing a very good job polluting the earth. And it will only get worse as the bioburden continues to increase exponentially.

One big FAB if the LEL is reached and ignition source becomes present
Exactly, Randy, and apparently an ignition source is present: The flare in the stack above the platform is still burning. Fortunately the gas cloud is unlikely to reach the height of the flare, which was left burning when the platform was evacuated on Sunday.

Should it ignite, though, it would be the mother of all FAB's.

/Claes

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
And the local press is also talking of the risk of a Bermuda Triangle effect, with the "gassy water" being less dense than ships, so getting back on to the platform by sea may be a challenge.

B

Bonhomme

Total, again ... I hope this will end well, and that they'll finally be fined enough for all the harm they're making years after years while making big $$ at the same time ...

Top Bottom