Master Black Belt vs MS Applied Statistics

T

Tom Slack

When I apply for Master Black Belt job, I don't receive a response.

My MS is in Applied Statistics from the Center for Quality at Rochester Institute of Technology. I have countless accomplishments that had economic impact.

I would appreciate any insight or suggestions. If not, it felt good to vent some frustration.:frust:

I am brand new at this post, so please forgive me if this post is inappropriate.

Best Wishes,

Tom

R

rrramirez

You don´t need to have a Master Degree in Statistic in order to be a Six Sigma Black Belt, what you need to know is the qualiy management knowledge; Your background in statistic will help to be an efficient manager in any organization.
I read something regarding the 101 things a six sigma black belt should know at http://www.iqfnet.org

:eek:

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Tom,

Where you have an overwhelming advantage in regards statistics, you may not be well rounded enough to fit the MBB label (sorry, don't know what they all are and as you probably already know, it fluctuates).

While your efforts have shown economic improvements, consistent with the Six Sigma movement, there are many other things equally or more important to the System's overall gain.

Additionally, as has been stated here and in other forums, BB selection is usually based on things political (Pymalion Effect). I don't know if this has anything to do with your frustration, but if you aren't in the mainstream politics of an organization, you may never get selected.

Regards,

Kevin

M

M Greenaway

Tom

It might just be that those advertising for the Master Black Belts in Six Sigma do not realise the relevance of your qualification.

Dont be disheartened.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Tom,

Are you applying for another position in the same company where you work now, or are you applying to a new company? If applying to a new company, perhaps, if you haven't already done so, you should have an expert review your resume, cover letter, etc. for possible improvements. Discuss with this expert (maybe someone in the job placement office from your college or school) your interviewing skills. The job market is tough these days (the pendulum has swung back the other way) and employers can afford to be very picky. Don't give up, but keep working to polish yourself wherever you can. Good luck and please keep visiting the cove -- your expertise will likely be valuable here.

A

Atul Khandekar

Tom,
The companies you are appling to - are they looking at 'technology driven' SS projects? IMHO, one would require knowledge of Statistics, QM and the technology that the company is into.
Just a thought..

All the best!

K

KirkRF

The problem that you are facing is not related to the your academic qualifications at all. The program that the Rochester Institute of Technology is one of the best in the country. Unfortunately, many human resources representatives are not versed in the variety of employment postings that they deal with on a day to day basis. While the ideals of Six Sigma should be embraced by all industry, they are not totally understood by highering managers. Six Sigma is, essentially, a four week crash course in statistical applications, with documentation (in the form of a project), validating that you know how to apply the basic tools. That is not a substitute for an MS in Applied Statistics, where a broader understanding of applications and theory are required. So what is the answer... design your resume around the Buz words of Six Sigma, as applied to your Applied Statistics Degree. It is very frustrating to apply for employment positions that you are qualified for, only to be turned down by a corporate screening process. From the standpoint of human resource departments, I would suggest that screening personnel be educated on proper screening techniques and provide personnel with a broad understanding of candidate requirements.

R

RosieA

Hey, Special K!

Must be I'm enlightened because I hired you once, right? :eek:
XXOO

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Tom Slack said:
When I apply for Master Black Belt job, I don't receive a response.

My MS is in Applied Statistics from the Center for Quality at Rochester Institute of Technology. I have countless accomplishments that had economic impact.

I would appreciate any insight or suggestions. If not, it felt good to vent some frustration.:frust:

I am brand new at this post, so please forgive me if this post is inappropriate.

Best Wishes,

Tom
I have a hunch your first problem is getting past the "gatekeepers" whose job is merely to say "no!"

May I suggest you visit this website (http://www.jobhuntersbible.com/) and get some insight into this whole process. After you've had an opportunity to consider the wisdom Richard Bolles has accumulated on his website and maybe tinkered with your resume and cover letter a little, come back and ask us some more questions.

The job market is tough. Master Black Belts (MBB) are rarely recruited in blind box ads. Odds are, if you answered a blind box ad for MBB, it was from some jackleg independent recruiter who has absolutely no clue about the Body of Knowledge contained in a MBB designation. If your resume and cover letter don't have the magic phrase, it hits the "round file."

I would venture to guess that even the recruiters are starting to get savvy about the issuer of the MBB certificate. Soon it will be like the difference between a Harvard MBA and one from Phoenix, the internet university. (i.e. all MBB issuers are not alike!)

I hope you have good luck in your job search.

B

ben sortin

"Master Black Belt" is a title defined by the person who knows the least about quality in the organization (hopefully not the hiring manager).

"Applied Statistics" is a degree that is appreciated only by those who have actually constructed a scatter diagram by hand and transformed the inference to a reduction in quality costs (I still have mine on file).

The resume is the tool that awards an interview. A person is actually hired based on his or her interpersonal skills capable of projecting confidence and competence during the interview process (oops, i said, "process").

Ben Sortin

Top Bottom