Master Document List - Is it necessary?

L

LH-PQSTL

Is it necessary to keep an maintain a master document list?

If yes, explain why and where in the ISO standard does it tell me to maintain a list?

I use SharePoint to manage our documents...everything that is on that "site" is controlled & approved. Why create a list? What value does it add for my system, except it provides an easy "gotcha" for an auditor when he/she finds that a date doesn't match the list!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

Ted Schmitt

The closest ISO 9001:2008 comes to requiring a list is stated in 4.2.2 b)

I maintain a list just for reference of our personnel... I do not however include revision dates on the list.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
No.
I use SharePoint to manage our documents...everything that is on that "site" is controlled & approved. Why create a list? What value does it add for my system, except it provides an easy "gotcha" for an auditor when he/she finds that a date doesn't match the list!
An electronic system has served my site well through innumerable audits. Since we have an Intranet page that has links to all the current documents, one could say we do have a list; however, the links do not specify the revision number - the documents themselves have that information.

However, you did not describe how your documents are archived, how people are told about revisions, and how they can feel sure they are always getting the current information.

L

LH-PQSTL

A couple of bullet points to address how I am address my electronic system:

1. All controlled management system procedure or work instruction will contain a revision history table at the end of the document that will be used to track the nature and date of each document revision, including the date of each document revision and a brief description of the nature of the revision.

2. The current version of each controlled document in the quality management system will be maintained electronically (e.g., company’s intranet web server, department shared network files, etc.) and are considered approved unless otherwise noted.

3. Access to electronic data will be enforced through security permissions (rights) to prevent unauthorized changes and publishing of documents.

4. All controlled management system procedure or work instruction will contain a revision history table at the end of the document that will be used to track the nature and date of each document revision, including the date of each document revision and a brief description of the nature of the revision

How would I address external origin if it is not maintained electronically? A list for documents of external only???

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
<snip> How would I address external origin if it is not maintained electronically? A list for documents of external only???
If that works for you, by all means.. All the standard says is: "control." How you do that is entirely your decision. If it works for your organization, it's fine. Standards get a bad name because folks are too much wrapped up into them and fail to make the requirements work for their processes.

Stijloor.

If yes, explain why and where in the ISO standard does it tell me to maintain a list?

As stated, a master list is not required. With SharePoint, you need to make sure that you maintain control of posting new documents and revisions. I have several clients that use SharePoint and it can be effective, but I am not an expert on it. In essence, SharePoint can ensure the documents are identified, the rev status is identified and documents are available where needed (assuming SharePoint is available at those points). Ensuring changes are identified is not part of SharePoint (as far as I know), but that is an issue with any control method, including paper master list.

Q

Quality Priest

Personal I couldnt do without my excel spreadsheet, Master Documents List :notme:
All singing all dancing links to all docs SOPs WI's Forms etc.
Every area / department process has read access so everything is available at point of use

JUST DONT PRINT THEM OUT!!!!!!!:mad: UNCONTROLLED;)

Its taken me a while to train people on how easy it is to use?!?!

R

ralphsulser

Personal I couldnt do without my excel spreadsheet, Master Documents List :notme:
Every area / department process has read access so everything is available at point of use

JUST DONT PRINT THEM OUT!!!!!!!:mad: UNCONTROLLED;)

Its taken me a while to train people on how easy it is to use?!?!
I also have all our docs in Excel with revisions stated and shown. The files are sorted and filtered for ease of use. I have a copy on our "Shared" drive for access by employees, but the master file is in my assigned, allocated drive, and that is my master list. These are backed up weekly and tapes stored in a bank vault downtown.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
We use a similar spreadsheet approach. Pretty good for a backyard approach, and the links sure do make it more effective!!! :agree1:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
T Master Document List - Obsolete Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
T Document Control Master List for Obsolete Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A Master Document List Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Master Document List and Unalterable Electronic Forms ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
H Formats for Master List of Quality Records (MQR) & Document Change Request Form (DCR) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Master Document Register Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S MDR (Master Document Register) for Planning of Documents in Process Engineering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
G Document Control-AS9100 - Marking of Documents as Master Copy of Controlled Copy AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D DMR (Device Master Record) Index as a Controlled Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
S Need an example of Master Document Control Register ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Excel .xls Template for Document Control Master Register Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T How much information should I keep in my Master Document Register? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
S Master Document Register Project Procedures help needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Is Master Sample a Document? - ISO 9000:2000, Clause 3.7.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
K Document Control Terms: Obsolete, Master Copy, Controlled and Uncontrolled Copy Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Control of Document and Form Master Lists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
J How to determine which is the 'master' "controlled" version of document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
N Do Document Master Lists need a Form Number Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
P Looking for Korean FDA Drug Master File requirements for packaging systems. Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
R Device Master Record Vigilance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
PQ Systems Getting the Most out of Master Gages Using GAGEpack Software 5
T SQL Server 2019 - Master Data Services - Validation needed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Calibrating Solid Thread Rings with HILO master General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Acquired Medical Device Product Line - Documentation Requirements for Device Master Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A GAGE R&R Binomial with master list (for method validation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
D Device Master Record (DMR) checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
lanley liao How to understand and master the requirements of each section in API monogram product. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
GreatNate Master Control QMS software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
E Procedure ( SOP) for Device Master Record ( DMR ) and for Device History Record (DHR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
M Old Master Schedules - How Long to Keep? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N Master Samples - What should we be keeping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P MSA - what exactly mean "system" and master sample Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G Calibration of "Master Parts" Used as Gauges Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
Q Forms Master List versus Record Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R No design history file or device master record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Sam Lazzara Medical Device File (MDF per 13485:2016 4.2.3) versus FDA Device Master Record (DMR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Virtual Documentation via Master Flow Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
M Master Dot for quality planning/improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Medical Device Master File - We are a contract manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
G Comparing Gauge Blocks - Translating the calibration between the master set and the QA set General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Are DMR (device master record) and DHR (device history record) inspected by FDA or audited by an NB ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S Foreign Manufacturer and DMR - Who keeps the DMR (Device Master Record)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S DMR (Device Master Record) for Medical Device Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
D Design Outputs vs DMR (Design Master Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Carbon Black (Master Batch) - Basic Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
H Korea DMF (Drug Master File) Fees Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
K Computerized system Master Validation Plan, IQ-OQ-PQ Draft or Template Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R Master Gage Block Calibration (We have 2 sets) question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3