Master Gage Block Calibration (We have 2 sets) question

R

richep

I do gage calibration for a small aerospace shop and have a question. We have 2 sets of master gage blocks, when one set expires we bring out the other set and send the expired set to outside calibration. When the expired set comes back from calibration it get locked up in a cabinet until the 2nd set expires. The set in the cabinet can sit for 11 months before being used. We make a new label putting the actual date in service instead of the calibration date as it sat for 11 months. The auditor freaks out because the date on the cert doesn't match the date on the set. How are other companies handling this? Thanks for any help.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I think you're fine. Auditor has to distinguish between the date of calibration, the date put into use, and the calibration due date.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome to the Cove!

Labels aren't records - the certificates are.

That said, does the 11-month time in the cabinet extend your calibration schedule? There's nothing wrong with that if your process defines frequency as ___ period from date put into use. I suppose you have a way to show the auditor how you have defined this and how you make sure the calibration is done at the (newly) prescribed date?

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
I do gage calibration for a small aerospace shop and have a question. We have 2 sets of master gage blocks, when one set expires we bring out the other set and send the expired set to outside calibration. When the expired set comes back from calibration it get locked up in a cabinet until the 2nd set expires. The set in the cabinet can sit for 11 months before being used. We make a new label putting the actual date in service instead of the calibration date as it sat for 11 months. The auditor freaks out because the date on the cert doesn't match the date on the set. How are other companies handling this? Thanks for any help.

Base on historical data - have you seen a ware on the blocks from year to year...

If not - have you tried to extend the calibration period based on historical data that no changes have accrued during X period - therefore go to a 2 or 3 years verification of Gage blocks (remember, they can not calibrate the blocks - all they could do is verify stability of Gage blocks).

Top Bottom