Material Change - New 10993 Testing and Submitting a New 510(k)

T

temujin

Hi,

We are considering substituting one material in our cardiac probes, and I am a little confused with regard to the text in Deciding When to Submit a 510(k) for a Change to an Existing Device

The question is if we need to submit a new 510(k) when new 10993-testing is necessary.

C2.2.1
(...)
A 510(k) may not be needed if the manufacturer has satisfactory results from the testing indicated by ISO 10993-1 in its files for the material in question or if such results are available to the manufacturer, e.g., are available in the open published literature or have been provided to the 510(k) holder by the material supplier.
(...)

If I understand the text right, if the material supplier can prove that the material has been tested with respect to the necessary 10993 standards we do not need to submit a new 510(k).

However, if we decide to run the tests ourselves (or through an extern test laboratory) we need to submit a new 510(k).

Which would mean that in order to avoid a new 510(k) we could simply carry out the new testing through the material supplier.?? This sounds strange to me....?

Any suggestions as to how I should interpret this ?

best regards
t.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve McQuality

Quality Engineer
Re: Material Change and 10993

Hi,

C2.2.1
(...)
A 510(k) may not be needed if the manufacturer has satisfactory results from the testing indicated by ISO 10993-1 in its files for the material in question or if such results are available to the manufacturer, e.g., are available in the open published literature or have been provided to the 510(k) holder by the material supplier.
(...)

If I understand the text right, if the material supplier can prove that the material has been tested with respect to the necessary 10993 standards we do not need to submit a new 510(k).

However, if we decide to run the tests ourselves (or through an extern test laboratory) we need to submit a new 510(k).

Which would mean that in order to avoid a new 510(k) we could simply carry out the new testing through the material supplier.?? This sounds strange to me....?

Any suggestions as to how I should interpret this ?

best regards
t.
Hi t.

This is just my opinion from interpretting the C2.2.1 excerpt you've quoted, but I read this as either obtaining satisfactory results from ISO 10993-1 testing performed OR obtaining the information from your supplier. It seems to me that you are being provided the option.

However, if the results of the ISO 10993-1 are different from the original material then you must submit a new 510(k).

...just my opinion regarding MY interpretation of the standard you've quoted.

-Steve

Gert Sorensen

Forum Moderator
C2.2.1
(...)
(...)

The new 10993, has the intention of reducing testing on animals, and it seems that the FDA has accepted this to some extent. IMO what this means in this case is that if the new material has been tested (and approved) and you have access to these data, either from literature, supplier or laboratory etc, then you can use these data as the rationale for your substition, and you will not need a new 510K.

However, you will of course need to update your DMR to reflect the changes. You will also need to make sure that any testing done is actually sufficient. In 10993 the responsibility for choosing the correct testing lies solely with the manufacturer. So if your new material has not been previously tested with regards to, say intracutaneous reaction or long term use, then it is your responsibility to have it tested for this if this test applies to your product.

Additionally you will of course also need to test the material for its intended use in your device. :bigwave:

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
There are different criteria applicaqble for the type of the device. For eg. - change in material in case of implant, "Manufacturers should submit a new 510(k) for a change in implant material where the material contacts tissue (including bone tissue) or body fluid. Examples of devices for which changes in material type would normally require a new 510(k) are total joints or their components. On the other hand, changes in materials of an implant that are not intended to contact body tissues or fluids are not likely to require a 510(k) submission. Examples of such changes in material type are changes in the interior materials of an implantable electric stimulator (e.g., a single chamber cardiac pacemaker) which are sealed from ingress of body fluids or tissues."

Sometimes change in materials may affect the performance standards in which case, the manufacturer has to decide whether a 510 (K0 is required.

Pl refer http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/ode/510kmod.html#page16

Thus IMO, you can not come out with a generic statement as mentioned in the OP. :cool:

T

temujin

Thanks to all so far,

I have used the Flow Charts in the FDA´s guidance document. The device is not an implant,but it will be in contact with body tissue/blood in vivo.

This takes me to section 2.2.1-" Considering that the material is likely to contact in vivo body tissues or fluids and the requirements of ISO 10993-1, is additional testing required"

I find it hard to interpret what they mean.
The material we introduce is new to us, so testing it according to the relevant 10993 standards is something we must do.

But even at this point, I´m not sure if we need to submit a new 510(k).

If I interpret the text I quoted in my first post to be such that as
<< We don´t need to submit a new 510(k) as long as we have the respective 10993 test reports - either from the supplier or made by us in an external laboratory >> Then why is this question even in FDA´s flowchart.

Wouldn´t just everybody arriving at this point just carry out the tests and document it without submitting a new 510(k) if this is a possiblility.

t.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Interpretation of significant change - material change Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
P Customer wants a Part Material Change - New PPAP required? APQP and PPAP 3
W New 510k required for a material change? Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
J Change to Outer Packaging Material/Supplier - Sterile, Class IV Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
Marc What companies think climate change will have a material impact on their business? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 11
A Material Grade Change Notification to Brazil ANVISA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
E Change in Electrocardiogram (EKG) Probe Material - New 510(k) required? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
F Notification of Change of Material Supplier - PPAP Manual 4th Edition APQP and PPAP 15
J Prior Notice of Sub-Supplier or Material Source Change - PPAP Requirements Question APQP and PPAP 13
C Training Material for Change Culture Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
S Dimensional change with PA raw material product Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
F Changing material without a granted change request, ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
M Bulk material vendor (supplier) change - PPAP resubmission? SAE J403 grade 1020 steel Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
T How to establish the 4M (Man Machine Method Material) change control Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
J DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-PE-16-2 published 2004-03-24 to Change Z Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
M Does a Raw Material Supplier Change Require PPAP? APQP and PPAP 21
A Design History File - Not ready to share the design drawings or Bill of Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Skooma Deburring and Tolerances - Is there a Standard for deburring or removing material? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Can PFMEA be used in disposition of NC material? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
L AS5553 Clause 3.1.7 e "Control packaging material ..................reused" AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
J Raw material certificates - CC - Safety products - Sheet metal stamping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Manufacturing overages & nonconforming material documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
DMLqms Material for laboratory use or Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Material from outside CER evaluation period CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
6 Management of SDS and Hazardous Material Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L ASQ CBA biomedical auditor - CBA primer material is enough to study? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
DuncanGibbons Are there any aerospace specific requirements for material resource planning? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
C Clean room injection molding, raw material mixing requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Raw material Mixing / Preparation for clean room class C injection molding Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
P GM TWO (Temporary Work Order) - Is there a specific GM format for the TWO# to be sent with the material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Manix Supplied Steel Material Testing Norms and Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
R Material safety data sheet (MSDS) related clause in IATF 16949 manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
M Raw stock material testing discrepancy using an XRF (x-ray fluorescence) analyzer Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
W Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
M Conformal Coating & AS9102 - Is conformal coating material a COTS part AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
M Maximum Height for the stored material or stock materials Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
F Mig Welded Components - IMDS International Material Data System RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
K ISO 9001 Requirements for Raw Material Supplier Assessment and Approval ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Customer supplied material - risk and policy advice needed Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
P Material selection - How do we select a raw material? Bolt made of SAE J994 grade 2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
Q Does our material suppliers’ supplier have to be at least ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3