Material Dispositioned for Scrap Positively Controlled - AS9100 Clause 8.3

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
IF their production control system (I assume some type of computerized system that tracks material inputs) does check for serial numbers AND those serial numbers were in fact entered into the appropriate database as scrap then maybe they comply with the intent of positive control.

I woudl want to know hwo they ensure that scrapped material gets entered into the data base. And I would probably test it...

However, if there are part numbers that are not serialized and the do not address postive control in their procedures or they dont' practice postiive control for non serialized parts then that constitutes an NC...but further investigation and not speculation are required.

H

HFowler

I also have a quick question regarding control of nonconforming product. We are a manufacturer of cables and wire harnesses. Scrap lengths of cable from the cutters are tossed in barrels until rendered unusable. Do these scrap barrels have to be controlled even though they do not contain finished product?

YARUMO

Registered
I found a rack of 10 parts dispositioned seperately for scrap in production area with paperwork next to the parts. These parts were dispositioned 1 to 7 months ago They were not painted red or permanently marked. Anyone could get one of the parts and process it. They met the ISO9001 standard because they were identified and segregated.

For AS9100, the requirement is:

Is product dispositioned for scrap conspicuously and permanently marked, or positively controlled, until physically rendered unusable?

I consider this a nonconformance because they are not positively controlled. One auditor agreed with me and one auditor thinks that it is an observation. What do you think. How do you Interpret "Positively controlled".

TY

THIS IS DEFINITELY A NON CONFORMANCE, BECAUSE THERE IS NO POSITIVE CONTROL. AND WHAT ABOUT THE RISK BASED THINKING!

Big Jim

Admin
The argument used by this company was that these parts are serialized and it is impossible for these part to get into the production system by mistake. Their system is tight enough to control these parts without physical controls like using paint or locked area.

There are thousand of parts that goes into the final product and a lot of them are not serialized. It may be OK for these parts, but what about the parts that are not serialized? Their procedure does not address it.

The lead auditor thinks that it is acceptable. He did write a minor nonconformance against their procedure for not painting the parts for setup pieces. So the company will paint these part red, provides some training records and that would be the end of it. In the mean time there is still a hole in their QMS.

TY

This still doesn't fly. Red paint is not permanent. It can be helpful but certainly isn't adequate. This IS serious stuff.

Big Jim

Admin
I also have a quick question regarding control of nonconforming product. We are a manufacturer of cables and wire harnesses. Scrap lengths of cable from the cutters are tossed in barrels until rendered unusable. Do these scrap barrels have to be controlled even though they do not contain finished product?

YES. This isn't adequate.

YARUMO

Registered
I have a question. In the case of vinyl textiles when the production made does not meet aeronautical requirements, but meet automototive requirements, how can positively control the non conforming production, if you can deviate it for automotive customers. And how you meet the requirement: "Product dispositioned for scrap shall be conspicuously and permanently marked, or positively controlled, until physically rendered unusable." if it stills working for automotive purposes. Thanks a lot

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Relative to AS9100 requirements, let's say you have product dispositiond as scrap, but all accounting paperwork/documentation is not completed, so it is locked in your MRB room. Is that positive control? If it is there for up to 6 months is it a problem?

Top Bottom