SBS - The best value in QMS software

Material from outside CER evaluation period

Hi all,

I'm currently writing a CER (Class IIa device in case it matters) and am having a bit of an impasse among reviewers. The CER was written to evaluate clinical evidence obtained within a given time range. However, after that time range but before the CER was finalized, some of the information became obsolete. Does anyone know whether you should stick with the now-obsolete material given that it was relevant during the time covered by the evaluation? If you know of any sources would you be willing to point me in their direction so I can show my reviewers? Thanks in advance for any insight!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
Really, given the state of things in the EU, I'd go with whichever is easiest. The world does not stand still. Any report of this nature is only a snapshot in time. The important thing is that the timeframe of the report be clearly identified.

If the obsolete information has a significant impact on the safety or performance profile of your device, I would still have no problem with leaving it in the report, finalizing it, and then, whenever the NB reviewed it, I'd advise reviewers of that fact. At that point, they might ask you to update the CER, but my best guess (!) is that this would not slow certification. You could also finalize the report, and start working on some type of addendum that addresses the impact of the obsolete material, so as to have it ready if the NB asks. Again, whichever is easiest would be my first choice, but I don't know all the details of your situation.

PS I'll eat my catnip if someone can point you to any official source that resolves this question for you.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I would first ask what "became obsolete" means? In a way, data never really gets obsolete - maybe irrelevant, not applicable, not submitable (invalid? problem) etc. Why is it now considered "obsolete" and how did that happen?

The best interpretive source I currently know on Clinical Evaluation is MEDDEV 2.7/1 rev 4, but it seems it needs its own guidance to fully interpret it! LOL.

Thank you both. "Became obsolete" is referring to a preliminary hazard analysis and risk management plan. I edited the thread title to say "material" instead of "data". Upper management made a decision that those will no longer be performed and that this product shall be in its sunset years. Those 2 documents were in effect during the time of the evaluation period, though.

Last edited:

Watchcat

So, I think you may be saying that the device is certified under the MDD, but management has decided not to pursue its certification under the MDR? Further, that you started updating the CER thinking it would be needed to support MDR certification, but now you are doing it only to maintain the product's MDD certification, so you can continue marketing it in the EU for some period of time after May 26?

So, I think you may be saying that the device is certified under the MDD, but management has decided not to pursue its certification under the MDR? Further, that you started updating the CER thinking it would be needed to support MDR certification, but now you are doing it only to maintain the product's MDD certification, so you can continue marketing it in the EU for some period of time after May 26?
Exactly

Watchcat

Well, now that we've got that sorted out...I'm probably not the best person to answer your question, lol. I think Ronen E is a better bet, so hopefully he will come back around shortly.

My own take is, when it comes to the CER, all the more reason to do what is easiest. No reason for anyone to care too much one way or the other, given the device is coming off the market in the foreseeable future, regardless.

My other take is that there may be much more reason for someone to care that your company seems to have decided to dispense with risk management for the remainder of the device's market life. As far as I know, risk management is a requirement of both the MDD and the MDR, so if the company has decided not to pursue the risk management plan, the CER may be the least of its worries.

Some of this depends on how much longer the company expects to keep the device on the market. and whether or not it will be able to get an NB to help it realize those expectations. The longer it is going to remain on the market, the more reason to care about what the company is doing (or not doing) with it while it is still there.

Last edited:

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
My other take is that there may be much more reason for someone to care that your company seems to have decided to dispense with risk management for the remainder of the device's market life. As far as I know, risk management is a requirement of both the MDD and the MDR, so if the company has decided not to pursue the risk management plan, the CER may be the least of its worries.

Some of this depends on how much longer the company expects to keep the device on the market. and whether or not it will be able to get an NB to help it realize those expectations. The longer it is going to remain on the market, the more reason to care about what the company is doing (or not doing) with it while it is still there.
I concur.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Design Exclusion - Drawings with Material Specifications from Outside Source AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 38
S Predicate Material 510(k) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Predicate Material 510(k) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
lanley liao Who can share these material with me ? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
E Record Retention - Raw Material (Steel Certs) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
M Documents to be included in 1.3 Material check in PPA report APQP and PPAP 3
R MRB (Material Review Board) Process using MS Sharepoint or MS Teams Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Material incoming to the production process reflected in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 9
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
Q Change the shape of the raw material FAI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Regrind Material in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Anonymous16-2 Dietary Supplement Raw Material/Component Storage and Production Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H Expired packaging material - Expired unused Tyvek pouches Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A Design History File - Not ready to share the design drawings or Bill of Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Skooma Deburring and Tolerances - Is there a Standard for deburring or removing material? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Can PFMEA be used in disposition of NC material? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L AS5553 Clause 3.1.7 e "Control packaging material ..................reused" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
J Raw material certificates - CC - Safety products - Sheet metal stamping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Manufacturing overages & nonconforming material documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
DMLqms Material for laboratory use or Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
6 Management of SDS and Hazardous Material Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L ASQ CBA biomedical auditor - CBA primer material is enough to study? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
DuncanGibbons Are there any aerospace specific requirements for material resource planning? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Clean room injection molding, raw material mixing requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Raw material Mixing / Preparation for clean room class C injection molding Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
P GM TWO (Temporary Work Order) - Is there a specific GM format for the TWO# to be sent with the material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Manix Supplied Steel Material Testing Norms and Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
R Material safety data sheet (MSDS) related clause in IATF 16949 manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
K Interpretation of significant change - material change Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Raw stock material testing discrepancy using an XRF (x-ray fluorescence) analyzer Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
W Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
M Conformal Coating & AS9102 - Is conformal coating material a COTS part AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Maximum Height for the stored material or stock materials Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
F Mig Welded Components - IMDS International Material Data System RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
K ISO 9001 Requirements for Raw Material Supplier Assessment and Approval ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Customer supplied material - risk and policy advice needed Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
P Material selection - How do we select a raw material? Bolt made of SAE J994 grade 2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
Q Does our material suppliers’ supplier have to be at least ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N PPAP material certificate date IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Steps when changing material for class 1 medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Y How to fix weight tolerance for plastic injection molded part? Does it vary with material groups? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1