Material Heat Number / Lot Number

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
This question is because I am probably wrong and want to make sure before I make assumptions:

I believed that Heat Lot numbers from specific mills are unique identifier's and would not be used for the same material type just different size. What triggered this question is I just got a material certification for 2.75", 316 stainless steel that has the same heat lot as so 2.00" 316 stainless steel we got from the same mill.

Would the heat lot be different (unique) if the material diameter changes size or was I making an assumption that it would be? Could this occur if they use the same 'pour' of material to make different sizes?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
The same heat number can be used for different dimensions. Compare the chemical, mechanical and metallurgical properties of the certificates you have. They should match. If you suspect some type of counterfeit material and/or certificate reach out to the mill.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
The same heat number can be used for different dimensions. Compare the chemical, mechanical and metallurgical properties of the certificates you have. They should match very closely. If you suspect some type of counterfeit material and/or certificate reach out to the mill.

It's not that I think/thought there is some type of counterfeit material, I just have had the 'knowledge' that heat lots are unique and do not repeat between sizes. After thinking about it for a minute, I realized this might be an error on my part so I decided to ask because (inserting humor here) I have been wrong once in my life.....or maybe I was just mistaken (end humor).

Top Bottom