Material Review Boards - Are these DOD things a thing of the past?

E

energy

Are these things a thing of the past? Does anybody out here use that term anymore to describe who is responsible for reviewing nonconformances and ultimate dispositions? Or, is it a carry over from the DOD days?

Ex-Chairman of the MRB.:cool: :smokin:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Not used by us...

This function (for nonconforming material in the plant) is handled by the QA Auditors, QA Manager and Material Manager taking appropriate actions as necessary. We have nothing that refers to a MRB.

:rolleyes: Of course, we are a mfg plant not the Corp office...and they technically handle the supplier complaints and only forward to us what they want our participation on. :ko:

Eileen

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
We still use a material review board. It seems like if you don't schedule it to be done, and if you don't have at least a couple of folks from different areas to kind of keep everybody on track, it just doesn't get done.

We tried to just tell 2 people to coordingate it and get it taken care of, unfortunately it became a low priority item then and they couldn't seem to pull it together. Now they have to meet every week and submit a report on their findings to the steering committee (which meets once a week, the day after MRB)

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
showing your age

Energy,

I haven't heard that term in a long time...although I think it has been renamed a dozen different things, a rose is a rose!

CarolX

R

Roger Eastin

We just put a MRB back in place, because as SteelMaiden pointed out, it wasn't getting done. However, the last time I used that term was when I had a job with a medical device companay. I thought maybe, it was a term used in regulated industries. I guess not.

A

Al Dyer

Carol,

Nice allusion to the Law of Identity. Sometimes we all get to worried about names and titles and not the actual activity.

J

Jim Webb

We have daily meetings that review the scrap in our machine shop. There are representatives from the machine shop, our foundry, and QA (reviewing vendor items). Like the others, review was not getting done until we had a formalized meeting. In addition to correctly identifying the source of defective product these meeting have become a great source of entertainment. There is no pride in ownership and the altercations that result rival the Ali – Foreman matches.

J

Jim Biz

I set up a MRB in our plant > (we called it IRB- Incident Review Board)

Sad part was after I > opushed to elect a chairperson > turned the reins over to "the group" after ex-plaining (training) their roles in disposition/ Root cause analysis > Corrective action decisions etc. - the clear Barirers . Percieved (that Top Mgt would not support their decisions) all but KO'd any action they were willing to take.

IMHO > Review boards are "one" good way to go IF the business culture will allow them to work...

H

HFowler

Re: Material Review Boards

Originally posted by energy
Are these things a thing of the past? Does anybody out here use that term anymore to describe who is responsible for reviewing nonconformances and ultimate dispositions? Or, is it a carry over from the DOD days?

Ex-Chairman of the MRB.:cool: :smokin:
Energy,

After working for a defense contractor, I carried the MRB concept over to another employer for several years, but have since dropped it. I'm not surprised that some people are resurrecting it though. It was a good process if participation was consistent.

Hank

E

energy

Out dated phrase

I'm currently putting together our Control of Nonconforming Product and Corrective Action procedures. In the past we always used the MRB Board to decide actions. The standard doesn't talk about that. Us "senior" folks remember MRB's as the cat's as-. Some Customers would not let you convene the Board without their permission. The same thing applies today, just another name. Whatever that is.:bonk: I believe it's your Corrective Action System. Fancy:p You notice that I have avoided Preventive Action Procedure. Mainly because of the verying opinions in the Cove, I'm sitting on that, for now. I'm thinking of calling the board the WDC Board. (We don't care):ko: :smokin:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Material Review Boards - Are Material Review Boards necessary? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
W Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S MRB (Material Review Board) Investigations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Please Review my APQP Training Material APQP and PPAP 4
J I am looking for a Material Review Board (MRB) meeting agenda ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Training Records for Review of Material Certifications AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
B Material Review Board for non-production related items Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S MRB (Material Review Board) Agenda help Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 14
V Can you explain about "MATERIAL REVIEW BOARD" (MRB)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
E Material Review Board - We will get FAA Direct Ship Authority Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
L Material Review Board Process in a small plastic manufacturing company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Non-Conforming Parts and Material Review Board Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
T NCR (Nonconformance Report) vs. MRB (Material Review Board) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 27
B Starting a Corrective Action Board (MRB - Material Review Board)? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
Marc Acronym MRB - Material Review Board - A cross functional review - Acronym Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
T Occurance of Non-Conformance, MRB (Material Review Board) and Record keeping Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 34
S Regrind Material in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Anonymous16-2 Dietary Supplement Raw Material/Component Storage and Production Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H Expired packaging material - Expired unused Tyvek pouches Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A Design History File - Not ready to share the design drawings or Bill of Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Skooma Deburring and Tolerances - Is there a Standard for deburring or removing material? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Can PFMEA be used in disposition of NC material? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L AS5553 Clause 3.1.7 e "Control packaging material ..................reused" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
J Raw material certificates - CC - Safety products - Sheet metal stamping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Manufacturing overages & nonconforming material documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Changing supplier of critical raw material (III class device) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
DMLqms Material for laboratory use or Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Material from outside CER evaluation period CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
6 Management of SDS and Hazardous Material Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L ASQ CBA biomedical auditor - CBA primer material is enough to study? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
DuncanGibbons Are there any aerospace specific requirements for material resource planning? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Clean room injection molding, raw material mixing requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Raw material Mixing / Preparation for clean room class C injection molding Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
P GM TWO (Temporary Work Order) - Is there a specific GM format for the TWO# to be sent with the material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Manix Supplied Steel Material Testing Norms and Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
R Material safety data sheet (MSDS) related clause in IATF 16949 manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
K Interpretation of significant change - material change Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Raw stock material testing discrepancy using an XRF (x-ray fluorescence) analyzer Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Conformal Coating & AS9102 - Is conformal coating material a COTS part AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Maximum Height for the stored material or stock materials Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
F Mig Welded Components - IMDS International Material Data System RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
K ISO 9001 Requirements for Raw Material Supplier Assessment and Approval ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6