Matrix Management - What are your thoughts?

E

Edith

Hey all!

What are your thoughts on matrix management? Is this old fad of management style regained it's popularity??? Anyone living it?

Edith :rolleyes:

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
Edith said:
Hey all!

What are your thoughts on matrix management? Is this old fad of management style regained it's popularity??? Anyone living it?

Edith :rolleyes:
Edith

Hopefully it's not a fad! With the "process-approach" of ISO9001:2000, managers will need to manage their processes, but the functional / departmental split will still remain (usually for good reason). The fundamental differences between "Manufacturing" processes (“production line”) and other Business (“transactional”) processes don't make it easy:
1. You can't always "see" business processes
2. People involved in business processes (but who "belong" to a specific department) can often choose to do “bits” of different processes at different times. Like posting an invoice or opening a new account or running of a report (or gaining new information in the canteen?)

So business processes are (a) discontinuous and (b) selective. Some managers seem to think that all they need to do is to appoint a few "process
owners" and life will change - but departmental budgets and power struggles and personalities will all still exist, and will work against process management.

Maybe it's more difficult now, not only for managers, but also for the staff being managed "in different directions".

R

Randy Stewart

I don't think it's a fad

Edith,
I know our company has been using them since long before I started here. Our first level Problem Solving/Corrective Action is an Issue/Action Matrix. It has been very usefull in tracking and clearing minor issues and initiating formal CA's when the "minors" can't be readily resolved.

E

Edith

so what does one do in the case of:

I have a major process in Canada that in a real world be owned by the process owner in Canada. However, we have a situation where this product manager reports to the USA who owns the product globally, and in fact we can't just do what we want, it's mandated down to us?
Suggestions? :rolleyes: EDITH

R

Randy Stewart

I don't know if I follow you. What I get from your question is that you have a "product" owner but no "process" owner?

E

Edith

sorry for the confusion.. I use product and process owner interchangably in my email...
E

Top Bottom