Matters being audited, independence, participation and direct responsibility

Background:
I am a QA Manager at a small business (~20 employees) that is a contract manufacturer for a very large MDM. I have completed no degree higher than a high school diploma, did not go to school for this,
started at the lowest position here and basically fought to carve my path here every step of the way. I'm a big supporter of higher education, it just wasn't an opportunity for me.

Anyway... Occasionally I develop a view that disagrees with my VP. :argue:

I'm not interested in alienating the one who does my performance appraisal, of course(!), but he has also consistently told me never to let him "screw up." I committed to doing my best there.

So, of course, I try to exercise discernment and not voice every piddly thing... but when I don't think he's right on something major, I believe it's due diligence to find a way to communicate it. I'd hate to see anything bad happen that I could have prevented.

Today's Context:
Without getting into causes, let me say that lately we are very short-staffed in Production and have a ridiculous turnover rate. So much so, that to stuff something in this bleeding hole, Top Management reallocated half of my Quality technicians there "indefinitely" to work as Production operators instead.

Now I am even being told that I and rest of the audit team should also go out to Production and work there as well. As much as possible.

:lick: (I'm starving... oh wait... I can eat my eyeballs!)

Feeding auditors to this fire confuses me the most, and nevermind the "how will any QA work get done"... Rather - how can it even work per 21CFR820.22?
I don't see how we aren't each "directly responsible" for our actions, and from that I can't see how someone using a process is not directly responsible for the same. On those grounds I can't think that any process users can count as "individuals who do not have direct responsibility for the matters being audited" when the process is what's audited. E.g., it would not occur to me to have a "Production operator" audit Product Realization. I suggested to my VP that any auditor so assigned should lose qualification for auditing Product Realization, but I was shot down. Apparently, "as long as the auditor avoids using in audits any records that show their involvement, they are not 'auditing their own work' and therefore there is no significant conflict of interest." I trust my VP means well and I'm sure it's not intentional, but the FDA may not agree. I'm concerned they could see it as shifting samples to hide a nonconformance. I do not think shifting samples until you get one that doesn't show the issue works in Inspection, I don't see how it works in auditing, and I still believe it is no substitute for an independent audit.
Question:
Am I missing or misunderstanding anything significant with the regulation?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
From 21CFR820.22:

“Quality audits shall be conducted by individuals who do not have direct responsibility for the matters being audited.“

Who audits your work?

This means that you need at least two individuals who are competent to audit. All the work you do should be subject to audit too.

If your organization works one shift, with two auditors you should be able to schedule independent audits. Two shifts may require three competent auditors.

In a small organization all of the auditors will do other work which is subject to audit.

John

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Another thought to consider...

As a 20 person company serving a "very large MDM"...what % of your business is for them? All?

If that single MDM accounts for >75% or so of your business...I'll bet they audit you.
Consider how you could use their (the customer's) audit of you to also satisfy your internal requirement.

My thinking: If that customer accounts for the vast majority of your company being in business...it's pretty low risk to show some more skin and have that customer who is NOT short staffed help in this area...especially if they are coming to audit you already anyway.

Good reading for your described situation..."Never Split the Difference" by Chris Voss :agree1:

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
My thoughts:

1. Your understanding of the regulation is correct.

2. Your company is going through hard times and are they are forced to compromise in several different areas. Your VP probably knows that you are correct; he is in a tougher spot than you are.

3. I suspect that in a serious external audit this won't be the only issue and perhaps even the least of your concerns.

4. My advise: (i) you voiced your opinion; (ii) you are not a member of senior management; (iii) do what you can to support the organisation with hopes that you will raise above it; (iv) be thankful that production is still going on. Hopefully when things get better you could renegotiate your auditors qualifications.

-Shimon

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Specifying a MINITAB PC Hardware - What matters? Using Minitab Software 2
AnaMariaVR2 Water matters & ISO Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
I IVD product for use in a Drug Clinical Trial (FDA matters) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
V Which Matters Most - Working for Success or Satisfaction? Career and Occupation Discussions 26
J Why document control matters - Hospital or Health Care Environment Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
Q 5.5.2 Management Representative - Can I be held responsible for all quality matters? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R After the registration audit - Hey we got our certificate, that's all that matters Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
Marc Why do companies ask suppliers what their Strategic Business matters are? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
T Commission proposal being drawn up for postponement for date of application of MDR (2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Nicole Desouza The Difference of being AS 9100D Compliant vs.Certified AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
D IATF 16949 FAQ 24 (8.4.2.2 Countries of Destination) - How is this actually being interpreted? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Search for predicates to see what claims are being made for those predicates 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M CBE (Change Being Effected) 510(k) Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational Team-NB published a press release regarding the survey run among its members to analyse the certificates being issued Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R DCMA QAS is holding up shipments of product due to them being late AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
S EQMS solution (Greenlight Guru and Q-Pulse currently being explored) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 8
G Audit finding - Components being transferred inter-plant Internal Auditing 3
A MedAccred being flowed down to Suppliers (2018) MedAccred Industry Group Program 0
R Non-normal Distribution Selection where the system is constantly being corrected Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D No evidence of certain processes on our scope being audited at our remote location IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
chris1price Calibration of Instrument before being Discarded General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M Which Certificate should I have being a Dentist? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 4
I AS9100C Lead Auditor Training Courses being Cancelled AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
Gman2 Identification of Raw Material being used In-Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V Is MHLW Std No.169 - 2004 being Revised in Nov 2014? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
S Advanced Surveillance and Recertification Procedures - being discontinued by the IAF December 2019 update ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Thread Gauge Calibration Failure for Pitch Diameter being too large General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
somashekar Is OBL CE Marking route for Medical Devices being Reconsidered? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Difference between being a Management Representative and being a Lead Quality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I Does being a subsidiary fully absolve company B from complying with 21 CFR 820? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Ways to check to see if the gage is being used General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
J SC and the linkage between CP and PFMEA ? When it?s being produced or controlled? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Plan & Procedure to handle a Product that's being Withdrawn from the Market 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
R Ethical Aspects while being Consultant and Certifier within same Organization. Consultants and Consulting 6
B Is the ISO 13485 auditor being too picky concerning CMDCAS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Reduced Device License Fee was rejected for being sent in too early Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
somashekar About Technical File being available at Manufacturing Site ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
AnaMariaVR2 Why Being the Last Interview of the Day Could Crush Your Chances Career and Occupation Discussions 8
K Records Control - Auditor Objection to Data being Recorded and Stored in PC Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 21
M Corrective Action not being done by the responsible person Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
P Quality Progress Magazine without being a member of ASQ ASQ - American Society for Quality 7
V Failure Modes of 1-step being taken as cause in 2nd (subsequent/downstream) step FMEA and Control Plans 4
R When should a Corrective action be created? (Procedures not being followed) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 23
V Interviews - How to differentiate your deliverable/role for potentially being hired Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Z What Specific Tests are Required to Label a Device as being DEHP Free EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Marc The Fastest Broadband In The US Is Being Built by Local Communities After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
T How to preventing the drawing revision not being up to date Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
L Marketing Class I Medical Devices before being listed in FURLS Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
A Chip Resistor Body Marking Standard - Is EIA-96 being replaced? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
B Surface Profile Callouts - How the profiles are being dimensioned Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5