MAUDE & MDR Databases Mismatch

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
I'm doing some searches on the FDA's MAUDE Database and MDR Search.

To keep it simple, I'm just searching by product-code (in this case, "NGX") over the last 10 years.

From the MAUDE, I get a bunch of hits, many of which state in the event text that "this issue was determined to be reportable as an MDR".

...but then I go to the MDR Search, and also to a search with the same parameters (ProCode: NGX, last 10 years), and get no results.

Can anyone speculate as to what is going on?
- Is the FDA slow to post MDR? (I'm dubious if this is the explanation as several of the MAUDE hits claiming MDR are over 5 years old).
- Perhaps the companies in question never reported, despite saying they would?

Any other possibilities? ...perhaps I'm misunderstanding the relationship between MAUDE and MDR?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Mark, I thought the MDR data base only went through to 1996 or 1997. Maude really only starts in 1997. There are entries before that, but I think there's a cross over period when they didn't match. Older Maude entries may be distributors, hospitals and the like.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/training/cdrhlearn/ucm234355.pdf

Chris
Thanks Chris!
This makes more sense now. Essentially the MDR Search is obsolete it seems (unless searching for reports prior to July 31,1996).

I'm assuming that by "this issue is reportable as an MDR" lines in the MAUDE event texts simply means that it has and MDR report key? Not sure.

But in anycase, moving forward I think it's safe to disregard the MDR Search, as it appears to have been replaced by MAUDE for the last 20 years.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I think “reportable as an MDR” means that it’s reportable under 21 CFR 803 - Medical Device Reporting.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Just to complicate matters (because that's what I like to do :) ) - there's also a MedSun database (Medsun Reports). I've not taken the time to figure out the difference between MedSun and MAUDE but they don't seem to overlap.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H What is the difference between MAUDE Report, MDR and MedWatch? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J PMS Competitor Device product data from (MAUDE or TPLC) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
S MAUDE database and similar devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
S FDA terms - Adverse Events, Medical Device Reporting, MAUDE and Customer Complaints US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
G FDA MAUDE Medical Device Reporting Database Analytics US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
D Vigilance - Public database of Vigilance reports (similar to FDA MAUDE database)? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S Biggest issues when producing MDR compliant Technical Files / DD EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Declaring Conformity with MDR Article 120(3) for an MDD Legacy Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D EU MDR - Change of device name (legacy device) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Technical Documentation as per MDR / subpoint 6.1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M EU MDR - Retrospective Study for expanding indications of a legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B MDR Technical Structure EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Notified Bodies - ISO 13485 & MDR Technical Files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Configurable UDI mdr EU Medical Device Regulations 0
O EU MDR labels EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Summary of safety and clinical performance and Article 120(3) of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MD Class I transition period MDD to MDR - changes? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C UDI for consumable/replacement components under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Article 17 MDR - (Re-)Processing EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Article 22 MDR System EU Medical Device Regulations 16
L REACH compliance with MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
L EU MDR Ramifications for no expiration date on labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R How to obtain OBL licence under Indian MDR, 2017 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F MDR – Article 120 – Transitional provisions EU Medical Device Regulations 8
H MDR Article 13(c) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Auditor MDR (Presub audit) finding EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Classification of Instruments under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Procedure for vigilance system according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Procedure for clinical evaluation according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 10
R MEDDEV 2.12-1 rev 8 (Vigilance guidelines) still applicable with the MDR implementation? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Determining a device category according to the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Transactions under MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
H Has anyone undergone MDR FQA review yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 10
S UK MDR + EU MDR Declaration of Conformity UK Medical Device Regulations 1
D Does Risk Management apply to re-labeler (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H MDD VS MDR 2002-218 UK Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek MDR Liability Insurance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDD to MDR - Tallow Derivatives Impact EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Update on NBOG 2014-3 to address MDR/IVDR, or any plan to do that? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR requirement where unit of use packaging is too small for UDI carrier EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDR GSPR Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A MDR - Legacy Device Review Timeframe and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Translation requirements for the statement referred to in ANNEX XIII of MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J EU MDR GSPR 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F Labelling to comply with both FDA and MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
N EU MDR and its impact on existing Registrations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Post Market Safety Update Report for devices that will be up-classified under MDR but are currently under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Y MDR Transition - make "Available on the market" after CE certificate expiration EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C MDR Classification Rule 10 EU Medical Device Regulations 14
C MDR software classification EU Medical Device Regulations 12