Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

May 2004 Articles Poll (Vote) Thread

Which May 2004 Article Did You Like Best?

• Constancy of purpose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like many/all articles equally and am unable to select just one winner.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
To preclude complaints, this is an 'Open' Poll. Poll results will show who voted for what.

The poll will remain open until 28 June 2004.

Please use this thread for any comments you have, if any, including why you voted as you did.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
I got an e-mail from Rob Nix. Rob 'mis-voted' and asked to change his vote. I did some research and it is currently not something I can do. See:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89711

I've checked the 'hack' forums and none are out there for this version of vBulletin. There was one for v2.x but it won't work on v3.0.

I can change the numbers, as far as I can tell, and I will do that for Rob but as far as I can tell it will not remove Rob's name from what he first voted on. So - if you notice a discrepancy of 1 that is the reason.

Since this is an open Poll, Rob, which do you want your vote to go for?

R

Rob Nix

As I said in my earlier private message, Marc, I was a bit foggy before my morning coffee. I clicked 'send' before I had finished really looking at the poll and so: 1) I saw a couple of articles I hadn't read yet, 2) I remembered a suggestion of Claes's for voting for more than 1, and 3) I missed that final selection that apparently restricts us to one selection only or choosing "I couldn't choose". I really should not have voted at all.

Anyway, I don't want to further upset the apple cart, so just leave it alone. But if the votes are as close as 1 vote difference, let the other guy have it. They ALL we very informative in my opinion.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
OK. I really didn't know how else to deal with this. I know the feeling of pushing the wrong button, so to speak, and I'm sure it's - well, a bit embarrassing.

G

Graeme

Nevil Shute was right! (see "In the Wet")

WOW!

This is a case where a "better" method would be multivoting. (For example, if there are n entries, each person may cast n/2 votes distributed however they want.) But I really doubt this software has the capability ...

I narrowed it down to three that were very slightly more valuable to me than the other three. But I could not choose only one from these three - listed in alphabetical order:
  • 10 things to destroy quality
  • System planning and process control
  • What is a quality management system
Everyone has set a very high bar for those of us who are slower to respond ...

Graeme

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Well, a lot of things would be nice... Polls do have a multiple choice option but I can't limit it to n votes so n/2 is way out of the ballpark. If anyone wants to pay for a php programmer, however, we can make the software do what you suggest. It's beyond my expertise to get in and change the code - that would be a 'significant' change.

On the other hand, most polls are 'Choose Your Candidate' with no 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice so this is pretty standard.

Marc said:
Well, a lot of things would be nice... Polls do have a multiple choice option but I can't limit it to n votes so n/2 is way out of the ballpark. If anyone wants to pay for a php programmer, however, we can make the software do what you suggest. It's beyond my expertise to get in and change the code - that would be a 'significant' change.

On the other hand, most polls are 'Choose Your Candidate' with no 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice so this is pretty standard.
After viewing the poll and comments so far, I may need until June 28 to make a decision on my ballot. I've already started to review each of the contest entries for the third time. Graeme seems to have caught my emotion very well.
WOW!

V

Vincnet

Graeme's short list would also be mine
Graeme said:
one from these three - listed in alphabetical order:
  • 10 things to destroy quality
  • System planning and process control
  • What is a quality management system
Everyone has set a very high bar for those of us who are slower to respond ...

Graeme
"10 things to destroy quality" would be my best [non]fictionnal paper
"System planning and process control" would be my best usefull technical paper. It helped me a lot to redefine our processes description.
"what is a quamity system" is the best educationnal one.

I summary thank you to all the authors for sharing with us.

I look forwark for june's vintage papers.

Vincnet

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
The poll is set to close in about 3 days. So far it looks like Rob Nix's "Ten Things Management Can Do To Destroy a Quality Culture" is the most popular May article.

There has been a lot of discussion and I thank everyone for your contribution whether by comment in a reply or by simply 'voting'.

Please remember - This is not a contest per se. I am not the person 'voting' - You are. I want original content and I am willing to pay for an article. But I cannot pay lots of bucks. I'm not a big company. So - I ask for article content submissions, you - the Registered Users - 'vote' and, based upon the results of your votes, I pay the contributor of the article US$150.

If you submit something and you don't get the majority of the 'votes', please consider the response (the vote count) a 'Rejection Notice for This Month' {I really hate this but it's a legal neccessity to say because of XXXXXXXX - complaint to the Ohio Atty General's office that this is a 'contest'}. Submissions are journalistic submissions.

Last edited:

Mike S.

An Early 'Cover'
Trusted
Marc said:
If you submit something and you don't get the majority of the 'votes', please consider the response (the vote count) a 'Rejection Notice for This Month' {I really hate this but it's a legal necessity to say because of XXXXXXX - complaint to the Ohio Atty General's office that this is a 'contest'}. Submissions are journalistic submissions.
So what's the status of XXXXXXX complaint? Has the AG managed to tell him to get lost yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom