MBA (Masters of Business Administration) Benefits?

E

EWHome1

I have a college education and have continued to educate myself with seminars and such over the years. Recently completed a HACCP certification for the feed industry. In this business environment, having multiple avenues for a future income source is critical, and my responsibilities are QA, Safety, and Environmental regulatory matters, including writing all the manuals and getting things implemented.
I have been advised that perhaps a "Masters" of some kind would be wise; perhaps an MBA. I am 58, have to work for many years yet, don't want to just vegetate, and enjoy working.
Asking for opinions and advice here; is/would an MBA be a good thing to pursue, along with the various certifications? Do you think that the management heads out there would pay more attention to someone who had such a degree, especially at this age? I don't really want to spend all my time in study, but then, if you don't advance, you go backwards. There is no such thing as sitting still, whether personally or in business.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: MBA benefits?

Continuous learning should be considered both a goal and a luxury (not all people have the opportunity). As far as an MBA, I found a generalist program was best for me (one that covered all areas of business). There are MBAs that are focused on just HR or Accounting, etc. - and you need to ponder whether such a focus is really going to benefit your personal knowledge and career options (notice I said options, not path) in the future.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Competition is tight and the MBA is held in even higher esteem as the SSBB, if only because it's more widely applicable.

Therefore, chances are good (but it's impossible to say how good) that an MBA would give you a competitive edge. Certainly I have seen ads that specify a Masters level degree. Others specify a Bachelors and hope for a Masters.

When considering the program myself, I looked through the list of classes involved and decided my philosophy, skills and talents would work out better in an Organizational Leadership program. Choosing the "right" list might even provide a "bonus" as in a Masters Certificate in HR, as I now have.

How much all that is worth depends on the hiring person's perspective and your increased capabilities to succeed in the role. Just like with certifications.

J

jasonb067

I can only speak from personal experience. For the amount of work required to gain MBA vs. the pay off it is worth it. It just seems to open a lot more doors.

P

PotentCompoundSafety

Having a Masters degree in something business related can be key differentiators in a job search situation. Personally, I got two Masters degrees concurrently - one in Environmental Policy and Management; and the other in Technology Management. The Technology Management one was more like a technology focused MBA with a lot of emphasis on leadership courses. The options are great these days with many of the courses being online. Recently I did an EHS Thought Leader interview that discussed the issue of obtaining an advance degree online. There is also another EHS Thought Leader interview that discusses that advantages of having a MBA. Click on the above links and take a look at them. Best of luck.

Last edited:
B

Bill Pflanz

I have an MBA and also teach as an MBA adjunct professor. The MBA has value if you have identified a career path that requires it and that career path may be outside the field of quality. Considering the time and expense, it is too costly to get without thinking about what payback you will get.

Bill Pflanz

Randy

Super Moderator
I finished my MBA not really too long ago (I'm pushing 60 hard now) and it will open doors. Just like Bill has done I am doing and that's going after some adjunct teaching time at a university. The MBA is a door opener whereas with the other stuff most folks go "HUH?"

K

Kevin H

My personal experience with getting an MBA is the opposite of most of the other posters. My undergraduate degree is a BS in Metallurgy and MAterials Science from Carnegie-Mellon University (1974) My MBA with an emphasis in operations is from the University of Pittsburgh (1990). Whenever possible, I've picked up additional certifications/training such as CQA, CQM/OE, spectrometer school from Panalytical, etc. Even now, 36 years after the fact, the BS usually generates more interest than the MBA. I'm not certain if it's a perception of the schools involved - CMU is usually considered to be a top notch engineering school, while Pitt is usually considered to be a solid tier 2 business school, or if it's the relative rarity of the Metallurgy degree - not all engineering schools offer a metallurgy or materials science option, and classes are usually much smaller than other engineering paths such as electrical, civil, and mechanical.

I'd probably be pursuing graduate level metallurgial engineering classes, except it's a heck of a commute 1 way to the nearest school offering them (80 miles and 2 hours), and the company changed it's re-imbursement program so that if you don't complete a degree there is no reimbursement and if you leave before a degree is complete or within a short time of completeing it you have to pay back their re-imbursement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc MBA - Masters of Business Administration - Any 'Real' Value? Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
B [Help] Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
B Help with Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S MBA Finance major & HR minor job opportunity in TQM field Career and Occupation Discussions 1
S MBA ISMS Project help wanted IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
A Certificate in Quality Management vs MBA specialized in Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 18
P Software for MBA - Operations and Systems Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
V ISO 9001 QMS (quality management system) for MBA College ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Switching over to Management - Is the MBA an Asset? Career and Occupation Discussions 10
J Link to a vitual MBA Managers skills course pdf file Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
gard2372 BSBM-->MBA-QM or MSQA Professional Certifications and Degrees 7
Marc Which is more important to a Quality Professional - MBA or Six Sigma Black Belt? Professional Certifications and Degrees 44
W Get MBA? Opinion requested Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
Steve Prevette MBA Curriculum Question Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
RoxaneB What is your interest in an Executive MBA programme? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 26
J MBA Thesis Survey - Use of methodologies and tools in Quality Management Systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Masters Degree - Advice about a decision I"m going to be making Career and Occupation Discussions 9
N Online Masters of Science in Quality Management Program Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
M 8.2.4.2 Appearance Items - When Masters for Colour, Grain, etc are not appropriate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
I Request to participate in ISO 14001 survey for Masters Thesis ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
J Dual degree MSQA - CSU online program (MSQA) and continuing a Masters in Biotech Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
N Survey for Masters Project - ISO 13485 and its implementation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Ajit Basrur Info on online Masters course related to Medical Devices required Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
M Putting First Pieces with Masters - Need opinions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S Calibration of Length Standards (Masters) up to 65" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Setting Up Part Masters in ERP Systems - How are others doing it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Quality Assurance Clinical Research Auditor - Masters in Total Quality Management Career and Occupation Discussions 3
K HI LO Set Masters for Thread Rings - Calibration Procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
A Best certification combination with Masters in Statistics Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
S ISO 9001:2000 Questionnaire Survey - Working on Masters degree ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
S Student requests help on Lean Manufacturing - Masters in industrial engineering Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
T 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance - Using PDF files as our documentation masters Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
H 3rd Party Certifications for new gage masters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
H Mapping QMS+business processes in a medical device with class I and IIa+b Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
Sidney Vianna A young Steve Jobs take on Quality, Marketing & Business Processes. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
A How to monitor new versions of external standards in your business Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
M ISO 13485 Clause 7.3.8 ---- on Business Transfer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L Did anyone hear business registration ontario? General Information Resources 1
I Foreign manufacturer registered place of business in EU for CE certification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M How to manage Sop's & other quality documents after business transfer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D QMS Realignment after business splits into 2 different companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
E Business Continuity Plan Exercise for Outsourced Services Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 5
G Microsoft Office 365 Business plan questions Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 10
S Business Number versus Company ID? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
K Business Process Flowchart Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
Sidney Vianna Informational ESG - Environment, Social & Governance issues gaining ground in the Business World Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 22
N ISO 9001 - Training business with fewer than 5 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
qualprod Business Continuity Planning in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S ISO 9001 implementation in a Gold exporting business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E BCP (Business Continuity Plan) Call Tree Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 13