MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise

hornet456

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I'm looking for some advise from fellow members with regards to packaging requirements for our medical device, where Article 12 seems to apply. We are seeking re-certification of our device and the assessor has raised some labeling concerns. Please see the details below:

1. We are a manufacturer of a class II a medical device in the US. Our device is typically applied to the body using some accessory such as a tape or a cotton wrap etc. The accessory has no function other than to hold the device in place. The assessor has identified this combination as a "procedure pack"

2. The assessor indicates that although the accessory might be a class I non-sterile device and that our medical device is a class IIa device, they both can be packaged into an outer carton but that the outer carton cannot bear the CE mark for the device. We asked whether clarifying on the outer carton that the device only is CE marked might be helpful, but the assessor said no.

3. The assessor did suggest that we can CE mark the accessories too, but that they would be treated as a class IIa device and that the relevant biocompatibility assessment and such need to be conducted. We do not have access to this data.

With this in mind, can anyone here share some ideas on labeling the combination? Can use some dual box design, where the medical device is placed in a labeled section and the accessory is placed in a different section? We are happy to place the labeled medical device and the class I accessory into an outer carton without the CE mark, but we are concerned that this won't pass customs requirement when shipping to European countries from the US.

Any advice that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time and guidance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

YellowQCPro

Starting to get Involved
Hello hornet456,

I am also wondering about how to label procedures packs. I have a "pack" that contains devices that are manufactured by and OEM supplier with their own CE Mark. They are then shipped in one carton to the distributor. The only label that we apply is on the outer shipping carton. None of the individual devices have modified labels. Have you considered self certify Class I device compliance for your tape or a cotton wrap? That way, the device could be imported and labeled separately along with the medical device with its own device label.
I do know that you cannot place both products into one pouch and put a CE mark on the label. That would be non-compliant to the MDD regulations.
Interested to know what others think about the procedure pack labeling.

Hope to get some feedback from the team out there!

hornet456

Starting to get Involved
Hello hornet456,

I am also wondering about how to label procedures packs. I have a "pack" that contains devices that are manufactured by and OEM supplier with their own CE Mark. They are then shipped in one carton to the distributor. The only label that we apply is on the outer shipping carton. None of the individual devices have modified labels. Have you considered self certify Class I device compliance for your tape or a cotton wrap? That way, the device could be imported and labeled separately along with the medical device with its own device label.
I do know that you cannot place both products into one pouch and put a CE mark on the label. That would be non-compliant to the MDD regulations.
Interested to know what others think about the procedure pack labeling.

Hope to get some feedback from the team out there!

Thanks for your response! It appears that self certifying a class I device is an option, but we intend to provide the cotton wrap as a convenience to consumers in the same package. By offering it as a separate product, the concern is that we are not only placing additional financial burden on the consumer but we also have to point them to where the wrap would be available.

I do look forward to some insights/advice from labeling experts in the group :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F MDD Article 12 Labeling Requirements for CE Marked Medical Device - Help CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
F MDR system/procedurepack (article 22) with device acc. to MDD and MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
I What do you have to put in place for Sterile Procedure Packs? MDD Article 12 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Article 12 MDD... Procedure packs! Requirements to Repack already CE Marked Products EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Z Document example for an MDD Article 12 Product EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I Interpretation of MDD 93/42/EEC Article 11, Item 2 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K An article written for/by a translation services company per MDD 2007/47/ec EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y CE Mark & Harmonized Standards - Article 5.1, MDD - Has anyone challanged this? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Requirements for an MDD approved device after 26/05/2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H MDD CM, MDR manufacturer. 2020. Is it ok? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Technical File for Surgical Mask in Class 1 MDD Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 1
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
P What ASTM std is EC 93/42 MDD EQUIVALENT TO CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N Label Placement Requirement in MDD/MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Measuring Function MEDDEV 2.1/5 relation with MDD 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Z Economic Operators Responsibilities after DOA for legacy MDD devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J MDD to MDR transition - Time required for the implementation of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Watchcat Duration of MDD Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Z MDD ER 7.5, "phthalate test"? Aspiration tips EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Notified Body for MDD 1Q20 - Florida Company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
S Until when can we CE-mark and sell MDD class 1 devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 17
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G Harmonized List - MDD 93/42/EEC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
B Accredited laboratory or not under MDD 93/42/EEC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
T Custom made medical device MDD vs MDR definition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
Watchcat MDD, MDR/IVDR, Working Groups, Expert Panels, MEDDEVs and Other EU Guidances EU Medical Device Regulations 32
D MDD Certification Validity after May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 12
A Compatibility between MDD and MDR devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Device CE certified under MDD / MDR > new GTIN? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N When is "placing on the market"? MDD certified medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 32
G Essential Requirements Checklist - (MDD 93/42 / EEC) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
K EU MDD Class I Device market access / certification after 26th May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 9
V CE Mark under MDD or IVDR - IVD company doing Virtual Manufacturing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
JoshuaFroud The withdrawal of Lloyd’s Register MDD & IVDD Notified Body Status CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
A How to manage the QMS system and SOP during the transition from MDD to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F Class I Device under MDD, reclassified to Class II under MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
S Dual MDD and MDR certification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K Obligation for Distributor in MDD/MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
D MDD to MDR - Technical File conversion EU Medical Device Regulations 4
shimonv Checklist for MDD to MDR gap analysis EU Medical Device Regulations 17
M Informational Manufacturer Incident Report (MIR) for Serious Incidents (MDR/IVDR) and Incidents (MDD/IMDD/IVDD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
S EU conformity assessment - Certify to MDD or MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Rincewind Pressure energy - Essential Requirements (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I MDD Class I software technical documentation sample EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W CE Mark for Class III Medical Device - MDR or MDD applies? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10