MDD Article 12 Labeling Requirements for CE Marked Medical Device - Help

fialor

Involved In Discussions
My company makes a device which is CE marked as a whole.
However one of the components in the device is itself CE marked(a device in itself), and the CE mark is visible on the component at point of use.
NB advises that this requires an article 12 labelling.

I disagree that this is required as the component is incorporated into our device. I amybe wrong - please enlighten me if I am.

I do accept though that labelling of some sort is required here so the user is aware of whom to contact as the sole manufacturer of the device.

My question is what labelling and wording? I am new to procedure packs and not sure this is straight forward. Can you help?
Thanks

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
My company makes a device which is CE marked as a whole.
However one of the components in the device is itself CE marked(a device in itself), and the CE mark is visible on the component at point of use.
NB advises that this requires an article 12 labelling.

I disagree that this is required as the component is incorporated into our device. I amybe wrong - please enlighten me if I am.

I do accept though that labelling of some sort is required here so the user is aware of whom to contact as the sole manufacturer of the device.

My question is what labelling and wording? I am new to procedure packs and not sure this is straight forward. Can you help?
Thanks
Is your device conceived as a procedure pack?

Article 12 is voluntary. You are at liberty to handle your device as a "normal" medical device, and there are no special requirements that I'm aware of for normal devices that contain components that are already CE marked in their own right (even if they're also medical devices in their own right). Article 12 is supposed to save you work and be an easier / simpler route to market (where it is relevant). It's not meant as extra-burden if you already follow Article 11.

If all that can be seen on the integrated device (component) is the CE marking there shouldn't be any confusion. I think a clarification would be necessary only if its manufacturer and their contact details are also visible in your final configuration.

fialor

Involved In Discussions
It is article 11 compliant. However the CE mark and Number of the device (in its own right ) can be seen when the components are assembled together. The packaging at present clearly states that the device is manufactured by us, and to contact us if there are any issues.
The NB seems to think article 12 is also applicable, and I do not know enough to be able to challenge that position.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
It is article 11 compliant. However the CE mark and Number of the device (in its own right ) can be seen when the components are assembled together. The packaging at present clearly states that the device is manufactured by us, and to contact us if there are any issues.
The NB seems to think article 12 is also applicable, and I do not know enough to be able to challenge that position.
Not sure what you mean by "CE mark and Number of the device". If you ferreted to the number right next to, or right below, the CE mark, it's the number of the NB that certified (EC certificate) the device. In my opinion it doesn't contribute to confusion regarding the manufacturer of your device.

Article 12 is provided as an exemption from Article 11, if the manufacturer is eligible to use it and explicitly chooses to do so. Its s. 2 states that it applies to

Any natural or legal person who puts devices (...) in order to place them on the market as a system or procedure pack (...)
Is that your stated intention?

Would you like me to challenge your NB on your behalf...? :lol:

fialor

Involved In Discussions
Thanks Ronen.
I had meant CE mark with the NB number (not the device number).

I think my NB might run if I set you on them, and never come back! :D
Thanks though.

Yes - I have previously advised your emphasis in your last response, but there is still not a budge. I think at this stage I just need to have a meeting and take it from there.
Thanks for the help.
Fialor

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F MDR system/procedurepack (article 22) with device acc. to MDD and MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
I What do you have to put in place for Sterile Procedure Packs? MDD Article 12 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Article 12 MDD... Procedure packs! Requirements to Repack already CE Marked Products EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Z Document example for an MDD Article 12 Product EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I Interpretation of MDD 93/42/EEC Article 11, Item 2 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K An article written for/by a translation services company per MDD 2007/47/ec EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y CE Mark & Harmonized Standards - Article 5.1, MDD - Has anyone challanged this? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Are risks in supply chain and development activities within scope of MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Q MDD - distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R MDD x PPE Directive - Statement of Non-Applicability EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Requirements for an MDD approved device after 26/05/2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H MDD CM, MDR manufacturer. 2020. Is it ok? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Technical File for Surgical Mask in Class 1 MDD Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 1
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
P What ASTM std is EC 93/42 MDD EQUIVALENT TO CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N Label Placement Requirement in MDD/MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Kuldeep Singh Measuring Function MEDDEV 2.1/5 relation with MDD 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Z Economic Operators Responsibilities after DOA for legacy MDD devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J MDD to MDR transition - Time required for the implementation of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Watchcat Duration of MDD Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Z MDD ER 7.5, "phthalate test"? Aspiration tips EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Notified Body for MDD 1Q20 - Florida Company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
S Until when can we CE-mark and sell MDD class 1 devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 17
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G Harmonized List - MDD 93/42/EEC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
B Accredited laboratory or not under MDD 93/42/EEC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
T Custom made medical device MDD vs MDR definition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
Watchcat MDD, MDR/IVDR, Working Groups, Expert Panels, MEDDEVs and Other EU Guidances EU Medical Device Regulations 32
D MDD Certification Validity after May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 12
A Compatibility between MDD and MDR devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Device CE certified under MDD / MDR > new GTIN? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N When is "placing on the market"? MDD certified medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 32
G Essential Requirements Checklist - (MDD 93/42 / EEC) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
K EU MDD Class I Device market access / certification after 26th May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 9
V CE Mark under MDD or IVDR - IVD company doing Virtual Manufacturing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
JoshuaFroud The withdrawal of Lloyd’s Register MDD & IVDD Notified Body Status CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
A How to manage the QMS system and SOP during the transition from MDD to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F Class I Device under MDD, reclassified to Class II under MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
S Dual MDD and MDR certification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Kuldeep Singh Obligation for Distributor in MDD/MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
D MDD to MDR - Technical File conversion EU Medical Device Regulations 4
shimonv Checklist for MDD to MDR gap analysis EU Medical Device Regulations 17
M Informational Manufacturer Incident Report (MIR) for Serious Incidents (MDR/IVDR) and Incidents (MDD/IMDD/IVDD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5