SBS - The best value in QMS software

MDD, MDR/IVDR, Working Groups, Expert Panels, MEDDEVs and Other EU Guidances

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
Rumor has it that "they" are considering a Rev 5 of MEDDEV 2.7.1, to resolve inconsistencies with the MDR/IVDR. If possible, I'd like to participate in this somehow, but I've found it's a challenge to figure out who is doing what, how consultations work, and how groups are formed. Now I also understand that the MEDDEVs apply only to the MDD. Unless this changes, no point to a Rev 5. If it doesn't change, then it seems that some other group would have to take this up.

I can't serve on an expert panel, because I'm not a citizen of an EU Member State.

The EC website says that the MEDDEVs are developed in consultation with "interested parties," but I couldn't find a description of that process or who is an "interested parties." I also been told by someone with an NB that this statement is outdated and the EC is no longer following this process.

The website says the EC "supports" the efforts of a wide range of working groups, which would seem to imply that the working groups are not EC working groups, but instead external groups that it merely "supports." There is a list of working groups, including one on Clinical Investigation and Evaluation, but the link for the working group doesn't take you to any information on the working group itself, just information on clinical investigation and evaluation.

Can anyone here shed some light on any of the above?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I can't, but Erik Vollebregt is apparently very knowledgeable about the internal workings (including politics) of this intricate system.
Erik is very approachable, I recommend trying to contact him.

"Rev 5" is just a codename for a Rev 4 successor that will be aligned with the MDR. Of course it won't be Rev 5 per-se.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
The roles of expert panels are described in the regulation (MDR).

It also details the MDCG responsibilities (MDR).

As I mentioned in another thread, the current MEDDEDVs are out of this new loop, because they all apply to the directives. However, the old structure is still being used in some specific cases.

The interested parties are usually the working groups linked in this link: Dialogue between interested parties - Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs - European Commission, so, as is common, regulatory documents are not discussed openly before a final draft or public consultation is created. As you noted, the link does not take to any more specific information, because this information is not, in principle, public.

Marcelo

I can't, but Erik Vollebregt is apparently very knowledgeable about the internal workings (including politics) of this intricate system.
Erik is very approachable, I recommend trying to contact him.

"Rev 5" is just a codename for a Rev 4 successor that will be aligned with the MDR. Of course it won't be Rev 5 per-se.
Erik (I don't know him personally) probably has a very good grasp, and as you mention, with added political understanding, but in fact most of the information the OP mentioned is online (albeit sometime difficult to find) and open. The think is that it may take a lot of reading a lot of different document (for example, you need to read documents about how the EC product regulations/directives in general work, as the medical device ones use them as a basis and only adds our changes things) and this is what I usually see: people reads the regulation text and want answers that exists, but is not on the regulation, it's in another set of documents that form the basis of the regulations.

Watchcat

Erik Vollebregt is apparently very knowledgeable
Yes, Erik is very knowledgeable, approachable, and also very funny. He may have been too busy watching other aspects of the MDR transition to pay attention to this particular aspect of it, but this is a good suggestion, and I will ask him.

I think it could be Rev 5, if they decide to continue with MEDDEVs post-MDR/IVDR, but I'm guessing that they won't.

Watchcat

Thanks, everybody. All very helpful I have now found my way to this page on the EC website, which looks promising:

https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regexpert/index.cfm?do=groupDetail.groupDetail&groupID=3565

The TOR for the CIE Working Group says it's members will be appointed by "Member States and third countries participating in the MDCG." In EU speak, does anyone know if "third country" refers to one of the countries that isn't actually part of the EC, but has some sort of official relationship with it, or if that is just a way of saying "third party" when you know that the third party is a country, i.e., any other country that isn't part of the EC, official relationship or not?

Marcelo

Thanks, everybody. All very helpful I have now found my way to this page on the EC website, which looks promising:

https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regexpert/index.cfm?do=groupDetail.groupDetail&groupID=3565

The TOR for the CIE Working Group says it's members will be appointed by "Member States and third countries participating in the MDCG." In EU speak, does anyone know if "third country" refers to one of the countries that isn't actually part of the EC, but has some sort of official relationship with it, or if that is just a way of saying "third party" when you know that the third party is a country, i.e., any other country that isn't part of the EC, official relationship or not?
Switzerland, for example. This is generic text in all such regulations and related requirements.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Informational Manufacturer Incident Report (MIR) for Serious Incidents (MDR/IVDR) and Incidents (MDD/IMDD/IVDD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
Ed Panek IFU Contact Requirements - FDA and MDD/MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
U MDD Article 12/ MDr Article 22 interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Our company is planning to file MDD not MDR next month. Do we require to show chemical characterization report ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Converting SOP MDD to MDR Noob ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
H MDD CM, MDR manufacturer. 2020. Is it ok? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 13
N Label Placement Requirement in MDD/MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J MDD to MDR transition - Time required for the implementation of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
F MDR system/procedurepack (article 22) with device acc. to MDD and MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Custom made medical device MDD vs MDR definition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
A Compatibility between MDD and MDR devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Device CE certified under MDD / MDR > new GTIN? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A How to manage the QMS system and SOP during the transition from MDD to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F Class I Device under MDD, reclassified to Class II under MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
S Dual MDD and MDR certification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K Obligation for Distributor in MDD/MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
D MDD to MDR - Technical File conversion EU Medical Device Regulations 4
shimonv Checklist for MDD to MDR gap analysis EU Medical Device Regulations 23
S EU conformity assessment - Certify to MDD or MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Rincewind Pressure energy - Essential Requirements (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W CE Mark for Class III Medical Device - MDR or MDD applies? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
V How do I get a rough MDD to MDR gap analysis by clauses Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
B MDD or MDR Definition of metabolic EU Medical Device Regulations 2
chris1price Is there a regulatory (MDD, MDR, FDA, ISO, etc) requirement to perform a mock recall? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Sam Lazzara EU MDR Safety & Performance Requirements vs. MDD ERs (June 2017) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Comparison of US MDR and EU MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 6
P Medical Device Vigilance - MDR or MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Ed Panek MDD Cleared Private Labelled Devices into EU EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Section 13.6 Annex 1 MDD 93/42/EEC for Glove EU Medical Device Regulations 0
silentmonkey Are risks in supply chain and development activities within scope of MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Q MDD - distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R MDD x PPE Directive - Statement of Non-Applicability EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Requirements for an MDD approved device after 26/05/2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Technical File for Surgical Mask in Class 1 MDD Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 1
P What ASTM std is EC 93/42 MDD EQUIVALENT TO CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Measuring Function MEDDEV 2.1/5 relation with MDD 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Z Economic Operators Responsibilities after DOA for legacy MDD devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Watchcat Duration of MDD Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Z MDD ER 7.5, "phthalate test"? Aspiration tips EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Notified Body for MDD 1Q20 - Florida Company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
S Until when can we CE-mark and sell MDD class 1 devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 17