MDD (Medical Device Directive) 6.1 Record Retention Requirements question

D

diagmgr25

I am looking for more clarification on what records to retain to meet the MDD 6.1 requirement. We don't build an active implantable device - so I am using 5 yrs after the last product has been manufactured as the retention period.
Therefore, some types of records are very clearly to be retained for this period - DHR, DMR, Risk files, etc becuase they tie directly to the product . But others such as CAPA, Mgmt review & Internal audits (records of the quality system) don't seem to be tied to the "last product manufactured" time frame.
So my question is: What records are covered by the "5 yrs after last product manufactured" and which are not? Especially given MDD 6.1 also refers 3.1 -indent 4 Quality management system.
Can I get away with 5 year retention from date of issue for CAPA, mgmt review, etc?
confused - thansk for advice!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
I am guessing that you mean 6.1 of Annex 2 of 93/42/eec, You should note that the 15 years applies to all implantable devices, not just active implantables. I've given more detail below as to what exactly is required (in bold), but essentially it means that you have to keep all quality documentation, including CAPA, mgmt review, internal audits. The 5 or 15 year time span of quality records applies to the current documentation at the time the device is placed on the market.

section 6 specifies:

The manufacturer or his authorised representative must, for a period
ending at least five years, and in the case of implantable devices at least 15
years, after the last product has been manufactured, keep at the disposal of
the national authorities:
— the declaration of conformity,
— the documentation referred to in the fourth indent of Section 3.1
and in particular the documentation, data and records referred
to in the second paragraph of Section 3.2,
— the changes referred to in Section 3.4,
— the documentation referred to in Section 4.2, and
— the decisions and reports from the notified body as referred to in
Sections 3.3, 4.3, 4.4, 5.3 and 5.4.
Section 3.1 fourth indent is:"the documentation on the quality system" i.e. the quality documentation
in particular, as referred to in Section 3.2
policies and procedures such as quality programmes, quality plans, quality manuals and quality records.
The changes in referred to in 3.4 are
substantial changes to the quality system or the product-range covered.
The documentation referred to in 4.2 describes the
design, manufacture and performances of the product in question
Additionally you must retain decisions and reports from the notified body as specified in sections:
3.3 - NB quality system audits
4.3 - NB design reviews
4.4 - changes to design
5.3 - quality system surveillance visits
5.4 - unannounced inspection visits

Last edited:

Michael Malis

Quite Involved in Discussions
Pkost,

Thanks for the list.

I want to add a few more points of documentation that we need to keep:
1. Product recalls and decisions not to recall.
2. Rework records (not just at the manufacturing site, but also at distribution location).
3. Supplier audit records.
4. Root cause (specifically for documentation when you deviate from standard process).
5. Health Hazard Documentation evaluated by qualified personal (i.e. Medical, not QC).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
Fjalar Spare parts for discontinued MDD compliant class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
T Custom made medical device MDD vs MDR definition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
W CE Mark for Class III Medical Device - MDR or MDD applies? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
F MDD Article 12 Labeling Requirements for CE Marked Medical Device - Help CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
S Final Medical Device Regulations replacing MDD 93/42/EEC, etc. EU Medical Device Regulations 15
N MDD Class I Medical Device Self Declaration Articles/Supplementary Documents EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Class I Medical Device will be Class IIa after new MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 3
rob73 New MDD (European Medical Device Regulations) next steps - 2016 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J0anne MDD 93/42/EEC Medical Device Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Do I need to comply with both the MDD and the PED for my Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
P EU MDD revisions white paper on the proposals for the Medical Device Regulations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A MDD 93/42 EEC - Requirements for Detachable Medical Device Components EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S MDD 93/42 Annex I 12.3 - Medical Device Electrical Alarm Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Bangladesh Class IIA Medical Device MDD Registration Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
C Mobile Medical Device for MDD - Medical Image Viewer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Proposed EU MDD (Medical Device Directive) Revision(s) - 2012 - 2013 EU Medical Device Regulations 16
Q Storage Temperature - Medical Device - Objective Evidence - MDD 93/42/EEC Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
B Certificate of Exportability of Class IIA (EU MDD) Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
L MDD (Medical Device Directive) Compliance Review checklist wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 9
G IVD (In Vitro Diagnostic) MDD (Medical Device Directive) Borderline Issues EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T MDD (Medical Device Directive) and ISO 13485 and a lot of Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P Do MDD (Medical Device Directives) Devices require MDD components? EU Medical Device Regulations 17
M MDD (Medical Device Directive) Online Training Recommendations and Suggestions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
xcanals_tecno-med.es Revised List of Harmonized Standards for Medical Device Directives (MDD) in the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 48
R Declaration of Conformity - MDD (Medical Device Directive) 2007/47/EC or 93/42/ECC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
ScottK MDD (Medical Device Directive) and Secondary Packaging EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E Does MDD (Medical Device Directive) Require a CAPA Procedure? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B What MDD (Medical Device Directive) Annex to follow for Class I device? EU Medical Device Regulations 14
D Requirement of "State Of The Art" in MDD (Medical Device Directive) EU Medical Device Regulations 42
P Medical Device Vigilance - MDR or MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
E MDD 2007/47/EEC - Medical Device Directive Labeling Changes EU Medical Device Regulations 44
J Medical Device Directive (MDD) 2007/47/EC and 2006/42/EC EHSR checklist EU Medical Device Regulations 7
L Containment Device Classification - Class I Medical Device via Rule 1 MDD Annex IX EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L MDD Definition of Address as it applies to Medical Device Labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 21
S Standards used for Medical Device MDD Technical Files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
W MDD (Medical Device Directive) Essential Requirements Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
echo7tango MDD (Medical Device Directive) Update? The copy I have is 14 June 1993 (93/42/EEC) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 13
S MDD (European Medical Device Directive) requires subset of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
W New List of Medical Device Harmonized Standards - MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
chris1price The status of the 2005 ammendments to the MDD (Medical Device Directive)? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Calculating Basic Risk/ Basic on Risk Analysis - Medical device MDD Class II and up ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Medical Device Directive - Anyone know of any good MDD training courses Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
V CE Marking for Power Supply for Medical Device - Class IIb device per MDD, Rule 11 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Regulation in Australia - Importing medical device (class IIa as per MDD 93/42/EEC) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Medical Device QMS manual - MDD, AIMD, 21 CFR part 820, CMDCS, and the new ISO 13485 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
D Getting Started - ISO13485:2003 and MDD (Medical Device Directive) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9