MDD to MDR transition - Time required for the implementation of the MDR

joemar

Involved In Discussions
Hi Everyone,
Im getting conflicting signals on the transition time required/allowed for the implementation of the MDR. Talking to my notified body at my last audit, they strongly implied that we would have to implement the MDR by May 26, 2020 as defined in Article 123 of the code. But talking to my EC Rep, they were telling me that that is bullshit, and that our current MDD certificate is in force until it expires, which in my case is 2024.

Paragraph 2, of Article 120 of the MDR (on transitions) states: "Certificates issued by notified bodies in accordance with Directives 90/385/EEC and 93/42/EEC from 25 May 2017 shall remain valid until the end of the period indicated on the certificate, which shall not exceed five years from its issuance. They shall however become void at the latest on 27 May 2024. "

Paragraph 3 states: " However, the requirements of this Regulation relating to post-market surveillance, market surveillance, vigilance, registration of economic operators and of devices shall apply in place of the corresponding requirements in those Directives."

My question is, am I missing anything here? Is it possible that my certificate remains valid but I am require to conform to the MDR in all aspects, or just the ones in paragraph 3? Or does the certificate mean that it is valid, and my quality system is covered until it expires?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Philip B

Involved In Discussions
Our MDD certificate runs until May 2022 and we have been told by our Notified Body (BSi) that it is valid until this date. The only provisos are that the post-market surveillance and Vigilance requirements of the MDR will apply from this May regardless and that we will not be able to make any significant changes to our MDD certificate after May.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
Until now, I would have said, whatever your NB says. But now I understand that the EU Reps are dealing with more liability, and therefore are getting more involved.

Perhaps you could introduce your NB to your EC Rep, and tell them to let you know what they decide?

There is no reason for manufacturers to be caught in the middle of a disagreement between their NB and EU Rep. They need to get on the same page, or you probably want to replace one of the two. Otherwise, you'll be spending a lot of time and effort playing referee to a rock and a hard place when there are far more pressing matters you need to attend to.

All that said, your certificate may remain "valid" as a certificate, but my understanding is it won't continue to be valid without an NB willing to support it. What your auditor may have been telling you is that your NB doesn't want to continue supporting MDD certificates. so you can either move over to the MDR or you can find yourself another NB, and good luck with that.

Our NB too, TUV Sud South Asia, pushing for MDR.
They are informally giving review comments and saying it will be difficult to clear under MDD and 'recommending' us to go for MDR.
We, in not so direct terms, told them, 'if you want us to consider you for MDR, please give us MDD now'.
The NB, TuV Sud in Bangalore is arm-twisting and misusing their position, harrassing its captive customers to get more business.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
The NB, TuV Sud in Bangalore is arm-twisting and misusing their position, harrassing its captive customers to get more business.
I fear you are woefully out of touch with the EU reality. Perhaps your Bangalore contacts are actually trying to be diplomatic, because the reality is pretty harsh. First of all, the NBs do not need your business. They have more than they can handle.

The other reality is that there may never be more than 20-30 MDR-designated NBs, where just a few years ago, there were 80 MDD-designated NBs. So it's going to be a seller's market, quite possibly forever. The NBs will be able to choose which clients they want, and which clients they don't want. Many smaller companies will never get chosen, and will most likely never get their medical device products CE-Marked.

NBs are also fully booked with MDD renewals through May 26, so if one tells you it can renew your certificate by then, you would do well to jump on that offer. If one tells you it can issue a new MDD certificate by then...well, like I said, perhaps your Bangalore contacts are being "diplomatic."

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A How to manage the QMS system and SOP during the transition from MDD to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Converting SOP MDD to MDR Noob ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H MDD CM, MDR manufacturer. 2020. Is it ok? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N Label Placement Requirement in MDD/MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F MDR system/procedurepack (article 22) with device acc. to MDD and MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Custom made medical device MDD vs MDR definition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
Watchcat MDD, MDR/IVDR, Working Groups, Expert Panels, MEDDEVs and Other EU Guidances EU Medical Device Regulations 32
A Compatibility between MDD and MDR devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Device CE certified under MDD / MDR > new GTIN? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
F Class I Device under MDD, reclassified to Class II under MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
S Dual MDD and MDR certification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K Obligation for Distributor in MDD/MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
D MDD to MDR - Technical File conversion EU Medical Device Regulations 4
shimonv Checklist for MDD to MDR gap analysis EU Medical Device Regulations 18
M Informational Manufacturer Incident Report (MIR) for Serious Incidents (MDR/IVDR) and Incidents (MDD/IMDD/IVDD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
S EU conformity assessment - Certify to MDD or MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Rincewind Pressure energy - Essential Requirements (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W CE Mark for Class III Medical Device - MDR or MDD applies? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
V How do I get a rough MDD to MDR gap analysis by clauses Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
B MDD or MDR Definition of metabolic EU Medical Device Regulations 2
chris1price Is there a regulatory (MDD, MDR, FDA, ISO, etc) requirement to perform a mock recall? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Sam Lazzara EU MDR Safety & Performance Requirements vs. MDD ERs (June 2017) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Comparison of US MDR and EU MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 6
P Medical Device Vigilance - MDR or MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
silentmonkey Are risks in supply chain and development activities within scope of MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Q MDD - distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R MDD x PPE Directive - Statement of Non-Applicability EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Requirements for an MDD approved device after 26/05/2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Technical File for Surgical Mask in Class 1 MDD Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 1
P What ASTM std is EC 93/42 MDD EQUIVALENT TO CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Measuring Function MEDDEV 2.1/5 relation with MDD 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Z Economic Operators Responsibilities after DOA for legacy MDD devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Watchcat Duration of MDD Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Z MDD ER 7.5, "phthalate test"? Aspiration tips EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Notified Body for MDD 1Q20 - Florida Company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
S Until when can we CE-mark and sell MDD class 1 devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 17
G Harmonized List - MDD 93/42/EEC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
B Accredited laboratory or not under MDD 93/42/EEC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
D MDD Certification Validity after May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 12
N When is "placing on the market"? MDD certified medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 32
G Essential Requirements Checklist - (MDD 93/42 / EEC) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2