MDL/MDEL private label process

I want to make sure I understand the process, so please correct me if I'm wrong. This relates to a class 2 medical device.

We want to private label a new class 2 device from a manufacturer in China. They are focused on the US market and are awaiting FDA approval. We want to cover the Canadian market. So based on my understanding of the licensing in Canada, this is the process that we need to follow:

1. Original manufacturer applies for MDL license, which we will help them with.
2. Once they get an MDL license, we will apply for our own MDL private label license.
3. Once we have our MDL license, we can apply for an MDEL permit to be able to distribute/sell it.

Am I missing anything, or is this the correct process to follow?

Would appreciate any advice and feedback. Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
The manufacturer must have an MDSAP certificate that includes the Canadian requirement.
If you an MDL license, you do not need an MDEL.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
Without any other regulatory approval, I don't think you qualify for Interim Order for Covid approval.

The manufacturer must have an MDSAP certificate that includes the Canadian requirement.
If you an MDL license, you do not need an MDEL.
Thanks, Danny for the clarification. I'm waiting to find out if they have MDSAP. I know they are waiting on FDA approval, so I assume they have something. I think I saw in one of your other forum posts you're based in Montreal? We are too. Are you taking on any consulting clients? (Can't PM yet).

Without any other regulatory approval, I don't think you qualify for Interim Order for Covid approval.
I haven't heard of Interim Order for Covid. I'm curious when you said "other regulatory approval", was this referring to other countries like FDA approval or specific to Canada? Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

DannyK

Hi v!ktor, I am taking on new clients and you can find me on LinkedIn.
I work with many virtual customers. Most of the suppliers from Asia do not have MDSAP unless they have targeted Canada as an important market.
I work with distributors that bring in the devices and become the "manufacturer" and I help them with ISO 13485:2016 and mDSAP so that they can market the products in their name.
This process has worked well and is cost efficient for the Canadian distributors.
Danny Kroo

DannyK

Hello everyone,

Quick question:

Can I have MDEL, DEL, and EL with one company with the same address?
If you distribute medical devices you can have the MDEL,
DEL is for drug establishment license.
I work with companies that have MDEL and DEL.
I am not quite sure what EL stands for.

Thanks Danny. EL is for Establishment Licence mainly for NHPs or natural health products.
The companies that you worked with have MDEL and DEL with the same address right?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P How to go from MDEL to MDL Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
gunnyshore Adding a new facility - do I need to submit an amendment to the MDL or MDEL, or both? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
M Medical Device Distribution in Canada - Do we need both MDEL and MDL? Canada Medical Device Regulations 14
K MDL vs. MDEL Health Canada Registration Canada Medical Device Regulations 15
JoCam MDL in Canada without Canadian Electrical Testing Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
Q How is Medical Device Number (MDL) assigned to companies? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
E Canada classification of surgical displays, MDL needed? Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
S Medical Device License Renewal (MDL) Period - Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
C How to find the Medical Device Listing Number (MDL Number) from the FDA website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
R MDEL Process Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
R MDEL and company affiliate Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
M Who needs a MDEL? How to buy and sell medical devices on my own Canada Medical Device Regulations 14
R Who needs a MDEL (Medical Device Establishment License)? Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
F Can an individual apply for an MDEL in Canada, as an establishment? Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D How will the new MDSAP requirements affect the MDEL? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDEL question - Device Establishment Licence Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
P Who needs a Medical Devices Establishment License (MDEL)? Canada Medical Device Regulations 8
K Advertising as MDEL (Medical Device Establishment Licensed) Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
2 Canada MDEL Auditor vs. Medical Devices Bureau Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
H OTC DRUG Private Labelling Distributor: GMP REQUIREMENT ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
K 510(k) Manufacturer question (private label and manufacture under another persons 510(k)) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Private Ltd Service Industry Specific Topics 5
K Private Labeler is Relabeler 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Ed Panek MDD Cleared Private Labelled Devices into EU EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Private Label Distribution - US Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Private Labeler FURLS Responsibility-USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Z Labeler Code - Private labelling for OTC (Over the Counter) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
Z NHP Health Canada Private Labelling Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S Private Label Requirements, Manufacturer's Registration & Initial Importers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Responsibilities between government owner and private subcontractor of a power plant seeking ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Marc "Private" Conversations - Limitations for New Registered Members Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 14
supadrai Just found out the hard way that only one registration per manufacturer is allowed in Yemen, regardless of OEM or private label arrangement. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
N Regulatory Responsibilities of an OEM and Private Label manufacturer Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
Marc Conversations (Private Messages) - How to see ALL of Yours Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 3
K Selling Medical Devices in Canada - Distributor? Private Label? Canada Medical Device Regulations 10
supadrai Indonesian MOH Regulation Restricting OEM/Private Label Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
O Private label issues For EU - Customer does not have CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
S Registration/Listing; Initial Importer - Private Label w/ Foreign Establishment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
J Manufacturer Name on Private Brand Labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
Q Medical Device Establishment Registration/Listing for Foreign Private Labeler Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
P Medical Device OEM, OBL and Private Labeling Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Q Mexico Medical Device Registration - Private Hospital Exemption Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Medical Device Private Labeler Responsibilities 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Health Canada Private Label Guidance Confusion - Quality System Required? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
M Private Label CLIA Waived Status 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
AnaMariaVR2 Agila Specialties Private Limited Warning Letter US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T Requirements for Private Labeling a Class III (PMA) Medical Device in the US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
C UAE Device Regulation and Registration for Public and Private market Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
S Private Labeling Regulations - Medical Device from Canada into India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
R Medical Device Registration in Brazil for Private Label Manufacture Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6