MDR: Active medical device or not?

Hi,
I am currently trying to classify my device via MDCG2020-24.
I am wondering whether my device is active or not.

The device is a gas pressurised can that sprays a (non medicinal) substance into the vagina to alter the ph of the vaginal environment.
The substance sprayed in the vagina is considered non-medicinal and has no active substance.
Leaving the discussing on whether or not the substance is medicinal or not aside, is this device an active medical device under rule 12?
Or does an active device always need to administer substance with a medicinal effect?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Danny

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Raisin picker

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi,

For me, Rule 12 reads: "All active devices intended to administer and/or remove medicinal products, body liquids or other substances ...". MDCG 2021-24 says "This rule is intended to primarily cover drug delivery systems and anaesthesia equipment", so I see no reason not to apply rule 12 for your active device that administers other substances.

thanks raisin picker!
I have a follow up question. My device fits both under Rule 5 (short term invasive) and Rule 12(active device to administer substance). Both leading to a class 2a classification. Which rule should one "choose"? I understand that if multiple rules apply, the one with the highest classification is applicable. But what about this case?

Raisin picker

When both rules lead to the same class, just name both rules. I don't think you are required to choose only one rule, you just have to settle on one class.
This is different for the device code, where you have to define only one MDA /MDN code (maybe MDA 0306 in your case).

Regarding the "other substance", take a close look on rule 21 ;-)

Hi raisin picker,
You have a valid comment about rule 21. However, I want to argue that our product is more than the "substance" sprayed into the vagina. The pressurized cannister is not intended to be introduced into the human body for absorption or locally dispersion (only the substance)
But I want to look at our product as more than just the substance as the substance only has clinical value in combination with the delivery mechanism
If that makes sense?

Junn1992

Hi Danny, what's the intended use of the device? Once that is settled, and the intended medical purpose is clear, the rest of the classification rules should be easy to apply.

Hi Danny, what's the intended use of the device? Once that is settled, and the intended medical purpose is clear, the rest of the classification rules should be easy to apply.
Hi Junn, thanks for your input! The intended use is clear. However, since our product is in a grey zone (delivery method of a non medical substance (-->not a combination device) contributes to the treatment of the end user), many rules can be answered with "maybe" :)
I do believe we have a good reasoning to state that our device fits under both rule 5 and 12,
thanks again!

My device fits both under Rule 5 (short term invasive) and Rule 12(active device to administer substance). Both leading to a class 2a classification. Which rule should one "choose"? I understand that if multiple rules apply, the one with the highest classification is applicable. But what about this case?
Would you say that your device fits Rule 5 but intended for transient use ? ... in which case the Rule 12 applies better.
From the view point of the intended use, it is more closer to Rule 12. In your case this is a better fit >> Class 2A per Rule 12.
Note that Class 2A in your device case can't be per Rule 21

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P MDR Rule 10 interpretation - Active Device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J TGA CER & EU MDR CER Requirements for Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
G MDR DRAFT DoC EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Z Classification according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F MDR Distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Y EU MDR Technical Documentation - Defined Review EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Class 2b medical device - best pathway to obtain CE mark? (2022, MDR 2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Declaration of conformity MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 10
dgrainger Informational Manual on Borderline for MDR/IVDMDR EU Medical Device Regulations 6
G MDR Requirements for Samples EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C Applicability of classification rule 9 under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 6
H Is testing according to IEC 60601-1 & IEC 60601-1-2 mandatory for a device being registered under MDR? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Ed Panek MDR question - Meaning of Stability CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
P Self Certified Class 1 MDR 2017/745 Design Change CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A EU MDR Annex II and Annex III CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
N MDR requirments EU Medical Device Regulations 0
O MDD products under MDR certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 12
I Where to find MDR compliance device? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Conformity assessment route options under the UK MDR 2002 (2002 SI No. 618), as amended UK Medical Device Regulations 1
C Clinical Trial using Prototype devices (EU MDR & ISO 14155) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MDR Legal requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek MDR Audit Comment EU Medical Device Regulations 9
J Minor / Major findings with MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R MDR Clinical Evaluation Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R EU MDR Article 22 applicability of medical device with components. EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Qualified MDR internal auditor? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
J Clinical Evaluation For Instruments - Class I, Class Ir, Class Im, and Class IIa - EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
G MDR Translation Requirements in Member States EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R General Obligations of Importers under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
V MDR – Article 65 – Clinical investigations on minors EU Medical Device Regulations 6
I MDR Audit: NC per MDR Annex IX Administrative provisions 8. EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R Device with WiFi communication - EU MDR vs. EU RED EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Clinical Evaluation MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 15
J Common Specifications per MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Looking for SOP Template for UDI under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P MDR Article 27 - UDI - Keeping records of UDIs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
F EU MDR Quality Plan template CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Clinical Investigation in Denmark for MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R EU MDR Remote vs In-Person Audit EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H IVDR & MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
H Update to UK MDR 2002 No. 618 UK Medical Device Regulations 2
A MDR article 54(2) "modifying" EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K MDD to MDR Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
S EU MDR-Replacement Parts when not manufacture is not yet EU MDR compliant US Medical Device Regulations 2
dgrainger Informational Consolidated UK MDR 2002 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
E MDR Labelling & Languages EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Subcontractors Providing Services Under MDD or MDR need ISO 13485 from EU Notified Body? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
T Justification of use of non-harmonized standards for MDR conformity Other Medical Device Related Standards 12